c9bl

A few questions from a new NJ gunowner

Hi all,

Applied for the NJ firearm purchaser ID (just the long gun "permit", not interested in getting a handgun) last week, got the fingerprint scanned last Friday, and then the references turned in over the last weekend (received the email updates after both references turned their response). 

1) Is there anything that I am missing here aside from patiently waiting for now? 

I tried to turn in the mental health background check form and pay the $5 fee at my local PD (Hopewell Township) last week, but was told over the intercom at the front door, that the mental health form is no longer needed (didn't even get to speak to them in person, which I guess is understandable given the current situation)--I just need to wait now and show up to pay and pick up the card when it is ready. 

2) Just wondering if that's correct?  Also, how long will I have to wait now until I get the ID card?

3) Also, I am just wondering what are some good gun shops in the area (don't mind a drive) that could source me a NJ legal AR-10 style or a M1A rifle.

I also work/live in MA (my main address is still NJ).  Given that I don't mind Rhode Island is pretty close by and on the way when I do drive up to MA, buying a gun over there is certainly possible and potentially easier/faster than getting one here at NJ (no sure how long this gunshop closure will last).  It looks like any non-resident of RI can buy a longgun there, as long as you have a purchasing permit and the gun is legal in the other state where the buy resides. 

4) However, I am wondering what is the legalizing process for these AR style rifles purchased out of state?

5) Any other good sources of information (forums and etc.) for AR-10 style rifles and M1A?  What about some good local ranges in the area that I can shoot these things (~one hour drive is ok, I live in Hopewell Township).

Some background about myself:  I am quite handy with long guns (rifle and shotguns) as I used to shoot a lot of them when growing in Canada and done pretty well in nation level competition as a teenager.  Hence the heavy preference for rifles that can do ~1MOA if not sub-MOA, which I know might be asking quite a lot for a selfloader, especially with the older M14 style rifles.  

Anyway, thanks in advance and hope everyone is staying safe during this weird time.

Legally purchasing a firearm in NJ is currently impossible.  The NJ state police are not allowing any new NJ NICS requests to be submitted.

Assuming your NJ FID card is actually processed and given to you in a reasonable amount of time, you can buy your long guns in any other state from a FFL.  In fact, you’ll *have to* purchase in another state until NJ NICS reopens.

Not every non-NJ FFL may be willing to do a transfer to a NJ resident.  You should call FFL’s in advance to check.

Walking into Tanners is reminiscent of shopping at the old Leslie Edelman's at the Airport Circle in Pennsauken.

Glass showcases filled with new and used handguns, and the walls behind the showcases filled with new and used rifles and shotguns.

Ahhh, for the old days. :wub:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, father-of-three said:

Tanners in Jamison, Pennsylvania is very frendly towards out of state long gun transfers and purchases.  As long as you have you purchaser card you are good to go!

Be sure to check out their FB page. They had closed, planned a reopening and changed course. As far as I know, Tanner's has decided to stay closed.

3 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Walking into Tanners is reminiscent of shopping at the old Leslie Edelman's at the Airport Circle in Pennsauken.

Glass showcases filled with new and used handguns, and the walls behind the showcases filled with new and used rifles and shotguns.

I remember my father going to an Edelman's in Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania many years ago...

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

Be sure to check out their FB page. They had closed, planned a reopening and changed course. As far as I know, Tanner's has decided to stay closed.

Oh no!  :-(

thanks for the advices, all.  Will keep an eye on the opening hours of Tanners.  It looks like they have a few LWRC and Sig rifles in stock :)

Since I am also a resident of MA, I gonna try getting the FID there as well this week.  Unfortunately, it is a pretty involved process there as well... but at least the gun shops are still open there...

4 minutes ago, c9bl said:

thanks for the advices, all.  Will keep an eye on the opening hours of Tanners.  It looks like they have a few LWRC and Sig rifles in stock :)

Since I am also a resident of MA, I gonna try getting the FIB there as well this week.  Unfortunately, it is a pretty involved process there as well... but at least the gun shops are still open there...

Tanners is my local gun shop. Ray (The owner) said he won’t be opening again until he deems it safe for his employees.

You can keep an eye on their Facebook page to see when they reopen. As a business, they do a shit ton of sales thru gunbroker so I would imagine that is sort of keeping them up and running for now.

Depending on how efficient your town is, you should be able to obtain your FID in 30 days or less.  

I'm sure you've heard by now, but just in case you haven't, gun stores in NJ are open again as of yesterday.  RTSP in Randolph is pretty good.  I've bought a few guns from them.  Prices are decent, not great.

For more info on the stuff that interests you, check out AR15.com.

23 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Ah, Leslie Edelman's Route 22 Watchung (or thereabouts). Where I bought my very first firearm.

6" Blue Steel Factory Tuned Colt Python.

Still glad I listened to the salesman! :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Ah, Leslie Edelman's Route 22 Watchung (or thereabouts). Where I bought my very first firearm.

6" Blue Steel Factory Tuned Colt Python.

Still glad I listened to the salesman! :D

Wasn't that Ray's, on 22 in Watchung?

Heckofa fine choice for a first firearm!  Most of us start a few notches further down the quality chain...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, 10X said:

Wasn't that Ray's, on 22 in Watchung?

Heckofa fine choice for a first firearm!  Most of us start a few notches further down the quality chain...

Well I remember Ray's too. I'm sure I bought the Python at Edelman's, so I just looked at the P2P. It was their store on Route 46 in Wayne. I confused the Ray's location with Edelman's.

I have to credit the salesman for steering me to it. I knew very little about guns at that time, and bought the first one to find out why I was so afraid of them, and if the fear was justified. It was a 'factory tuned' version that received a little extra attention and cost me around $400 in 1978.  I thought that was really expensive (especially considering my weekly salary at the time) but I thought the revolver was beautiful and the trigger was smooth as butter. (Little did I know!)

The rest, as they say, was history.

• Like 2

Here's another related tidbit. This thread prompted me to go back and look at my next two purchases. A Colt Government 45 and a S&W Model 29.

You know what I noticed? My pistol permits from '78-'80 had no expiration date! So I'm wondering now when expiration dates were mandated.

If P2Ps were good indefinitely that would save a lot of administrative crap.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Here's another related tidbit. This thread prompted me to go back and look at my next two purchases. A Colt Government 45 and a S&W Model 29.

You know what I noticed? My pistol permits from '78-'80 had no expiration date! So I'm wondering now when expiration dates were mandated.

They added the expiration date at the request of us dealers about 5 years ago. Before that you had to do the math (and hope you didn't get it wrong) about when the permit would expire

8 hours ago, 45Doll said:

You should'a got a truck load back then. If they never expire you could walk into a gun shop once a month now and it'd be like a cash and carry deal...….. Just like in Free America!

11 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

They added the expiration date at the request of us dealers about 5 years ago. Before that you had to do the math (and hope you didn't get it wrong) about when the permit would expire

OK. So I infer from your post there was a 90 day limit when the big package was passed in the late 60's; the expiration date was not specified on the permit. Is that correct?

And if that's true, do you know when the 180 day extension was invented?

27 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

OK. So I infer from your post there was a 90 day limit when the big package was passed in the late 60's; the expiration date was not specified on the permit. Is that correct?

And if that's true, do you know when the 180 day extension was invented?

From what I know the 90 day expiration and 90 day extensions (180 day max total validity) have always been in effect on NJ Handgun Purchase Permits since they were created in 1966.

Does that permit from the 70's have wording on it stating it's valid only for 90 days unless extended for 180 days max like the current ones do?

The issue date is the only date box. In the permit title bar it states:

"Permit valid for ninety days from date of issuance unless renewed pursuant to Section 2A: 15136 of the New Jersey Statutes".

Now that I'm thinking about this, I think the deal was to take the permit back to the issuing PD and they would mark up the permit somehow to indicate the renewal date.

14 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I didn't know Rays was no longer in business. 

Not only no longer in business, but gone entirely. I believe that there is now a Nissan dealer in that location. Somebody from up that way correct me if I'm wrong.

The OP lives in a great township for firearms. Not sure how the virus will affect things, but under normal conditions they have always made the 30 days for me.

Just remember that the 90 day extension is at the discretion of the CLEO of the issuing authority and not all grant it automatically - some not at all, some with hoops to jump through and some just rubber stamp it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yes, Rays is a car dealership overflow lot now — bought my 1st handgun there, March 20, 1990 — the day after my 21st birthday 

Yes, my pistol permit took 24 hours to process — dropped off permit application before work the day I turned 21 — went to work — went to titty bar after work — it was a Friday — got call from Cheif of police in morning “permit is ready, come get it” 

I picked up the pemit and went directly to Rays — bought a Colt combat elite — $700 — still have it today 

• Like 1

From Tanner's FB page....

We will remain closed for the rest of the week to protect the safety of our sales staff.

Our goal is to try and reopen Monday April 6th. We are going to put a lot of safety precautions in place to try and keep everyone as safe as we can. 

Last week we booked appointments for this week and then we decided to stay closed. We are pushing all those appointments back to next week with the same day and time. If you have an appointment booked and will not be able to make it please email us at [email protected] so we can remove your name from the appointment list. 

We are going to see how the appointments go on Monday and Tuesday before we start booking them for the following week. We will have a new online appointment calendar so once we post the link you will be able to book your own reservation online which will make booking an appointment very easy. We will have two calendars. One for firearm sales and one for ammo/accessory sales. 

We are very stocked up on guns and ammo at this time and we are receiving shipments in every day so when we reopen, we will have a great selection. We will have a great selection of 9mm, 40, 45, 223 and 5.56 We will have target and defensive in all calibers. We will be making an ammo post on Friday to let everyone know what we will have in stock. There will be some limits depending on the caliber. You will be able to purchase at least 100 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of 223/5.56 

Transfers:
Please be patient !!! We are still receiving in tons of transfers every day and it is going to take some time to get everyone scheduled appointments. WE WILL NOT BE SHIPPING ANY TRANSFERS THAT CAME IN TO ANOTHER DEALER. Again, please be patient. We are trying the best we can. 

Raymond

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

My first gun purchase was at Rays.  .22 Beretta 21A handgun with the tip up barrel.  I haven't lived in that area for a long, long time.  I didn't know Rays was no longer in business. 

Ray'sclosed in 2008, I went there for out of business sale. All supplies were 1/2 price. Great deals. Their used cases were still full, those were not 1/2 price.

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

The OP lives in a great township for firearms. Not sure how the virus will affect things, but under normal conditions they have always made the 30 days for me.

I put in for 2 permits on 3/13.  References were completed a few days later.  I'll be interested to see if this current shit storm has any effect on the turn around time.

3 hours ago, lilred121986 said:

Im in ogdensburg, And for my FID card it took 1 year! legit! and 6 months for pistol permits. So don't expect them anytime soon. unless your super lucky and dont have a small PD.

Your neighboring town gets them done in 3 weeks typically. 

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

From Tanner's FB page....

We will remain closed for the rest of the week to protect the safety of our sales staff.

Our goal is to try and reopen Monday April 6th. We are going to put a lot of safety precautions in place to try and keep everyone as safe as we can. 

Last week we booked appointments for this week and then we decided to stay closed. We are pushing all those appointments back to next week with the same day and time. If you have an appointment booked and will not be able to make it please email us at [email protected] so we can remove your name from the appointment list. 

We are going to see how the appointments go on Monday and Tuesday before we start booking them for the following week. We will have a new online appointment calendar so once we post the link you will be able to book your own reservation online which will make booking an appointment very easy. We will have two calendars. One for firearm sales and one for ammo/accessory sales. 

We are very stocked up on guns and ammo at this time and we are receiving shipments in every day so when we reopen, we will have a great selection. We will have a great selection of 9mm, 40, 45, 223 and 5.56 We will have target and defensive in all calibers. We will be making an ammo post on Friday to let everyone know what we will have in stock. There will be some limits depending on the caliber. You will be able to purchase at least 100 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of 223/5.56 

Transfers:
Please be patient !!! We are still receiving in tons of transfers every day and it is going to take some time to get everyone scheduled appointments. WE WILL NOT BE SHIPPING ANY TRANSFERS THAT CAME IN TO ANOTHER DEALER. Again, please be patient. We are trying the best we can. 

Raymond

Online booking appointment? good idea

• Agree 1

On 4/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, CMJeepster said:

I put in for 2 permits on 3/13.  References were completed a few days later.  I'll be interested to see if this current shit storm has any effect on the turn around time.

Isnt the recommendation (not sure why) that a person should always apply for 3 at at time? 

If I am going to go the distance and get some permits, I always apply for (5) since I have never had ANY BS trouble renewing them in my township.