deerpark

Open the gun shops, GOP legislator says. We have the right to defend ourselves in this scary time.

Open the gun shops, GOP legislator says. We have the right to defend ourselves in this scary time.

Assemblyman Edward Thomson, R-Monmouth, is the Republican whip and represents the 30th Legislative District.

New Jersey is the only state bold enough to use a pandemic to stand in the way of the Second Amendment. No matter the issue, the fact is that constitutional rights should never be infringed.

On March 26, the same day Murphy expanded essential businesses, two lawsuits were filed in federal court to prove that Murphy has violated his oath to defend the Constitution and made it impossible to purchase a gun in New Jersey. The last thing our governor and attorney general need to defend are two more lawsuits while we face the current health crisis.

This is about whether you think the government should be able to tell you your rights don’t matter.

There is a reason the Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution. What sets us apart as Americans is that in our society, no matter what pressures exist in the world – even the pandemic we face today – our rights will be upheld.

Since the pandemic, gun stores have seen more business than they ever could have expected. That is much needed economic activity, keeping businesses running and workers employed from the store to the warehouse to the factory. It is a wake-up call that first-time gun buyers don’t have an opposition to guns because they understand safety is their personal responsibility.

For New Jersey to stand in the way of that is unconscionable, unethical, and dishonorable. We swore an oath, all elected officials swore an oath, but Murphy’s actions have betrayed his words.

1 hour ago, PEACEFROG said:

gun shops open tomorrow 8am

I'm shocked in regards to these reversals. 

Even the Dem Governors who are temporarily pro-2A from the gate, something isnt right. 

I think they would seize any opportunity to deny people their 2A rights.  

Maybe the guidance from Bloomberg is that the court challenges could result in more freedom?

42 minutes ago, deerpark said:

I'm shocked in regards to these reversals. 

Even the Dem Governors who are temporarily pro-2A from the gate, something isnt right. 

I think they would seize any opportunity to deny people their 2A rights.  

Maybe the guidance from Bloomberg is that the court challenges could result in more freedom?

They are terrified of what SCOTUS would do.. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, almiz111 said:

https://www.cisa.gov/publication/guidance-essential-critical-infrastructure-workforce

That is the Federal guide. See PUBLIC SAFETY section.

Murphy changed his tune after this came out.   Gun ranges are also included. 

Peace. 

Ranges are included as 'essential' in the Federal guidelines.  Murphy made clear that they are NOT allowed to re-open in NJ, according to the statement just issued by ANJRPC.

So it's but a partial win for the citizens of NJ.

The ANJRPC alert does say that NICS will reopen.  This seems like an obvious attempt by Murphy to moot the ANJRPC and NJ2AS lawsuits.  Both should continue however and obtain a ruling that the EO was an infringement of core 2A rights; that no level of scrutiny applies; and enjoining the State from further infringements.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Princetonian58 said:

The ANJRPC alert does say that NICS will reopen.  This seems like an obvious attempt by Murphy to moot the ANJRPC and NJ2AS lawsuits.  Both should continue however and obtain a ruling that the EO was an infringement of core 2A rights; that no level of scrutiny applies; and enjoining the State from further infringements.  

I agree with this 

• Agree 1

EFGA is still open to my Knowledge, I know PA laws allow gun stores & ranges to be open and I haven't heard anything from EFGA about closing in the past month. It's also a private club not a public range

14 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Let me ask this question:  

If people purchase guns for the first time, as has been happening, how are they going to figure out how to use their new guns if all the ranges are closed?

Most won't even pull the trigger. It'll get loaded and put in a drawer.

49 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Let me ask this question:  

If people purchase guns for the first time, as has been happening, how are they going to figure out how to use their new guns if all the ranges are closed?

I know a little about guns since my dad has guns and took me to the range but as I will be getting used to a new gun as a first time owner my current plan is to use snapcaps to practice loading and cycling my gun in my basement. Keeping the live stuff far far away till I can get to a range. However, I am rather aware how much time I will need at a range to get my aim back to what it was when I was younger. (And hopefully a lot better than that)

So long as ranges practice social distancing I really dont see the problem with having them open. From what I recall people at the range typically spaced out more that 6 feet as a matter of course.

Does this mean that police departments will start processing new FID / Handgun Permits again?  I submitted mine before Gov. Murphy shut down all the stores and NICS and then received an email saying my town was no longer processing new applications at this time. 

I was reading the post directly above this that Entity wrote. When I read the first 6 words my mind when in a different direction.

Are police ranges closed? Is it not contrary to public distancing for a LEO who's already well practiced with a firearm to be on a range, but it is contrary to public distancing for a first time owner who has no idea even what it feels like in his hand when the gun goes BANG to be on a range, the person who needs it most (imagine yourself if it were the first time you were pulling the trigger and it was on a light weight short barreled 45) ? It goes unsaid it doesn't hurt anyone, enthusiast here on the form included to practice as much as possible. But to allow a person already trained to practice and not allow a novice who doesn't even know what a trigger break is or when it will happen is ludicrous.

If ever brought up again by the NJ legislature firearm training be a prerequisite to getting a FID this should be shoved so far up their ass that it comes out their mouth.

Thank You for enduring my frustrated rant, I'm finished now.