Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So if it is Russian and not a Saiga or VEPR it is most likely a parts kit built on a US receiver. Are you sure the receiver says AKM? I am not a lawyer and some will say its OK while other's will say it's not. You have to decide what you are comfortable with because to me in NJ...AK variants are a roll of the dice. You could argue the whole substantially identical verbiage and what "type" means but the statute clearly says: "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" are banned. Good luck! I love my AK-103 clone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, carl_g said:

So if it is Russian and not a Saiga or VEPR it is most likely a parts kit built on a US receiver. Are you sure the receiver says AKM? I am not a lawyer and some will say its OK while other's will say it's not. You have to decide what you are comfortable with because to me in NJ...AK variants are a roll of the dice. You could argue the whole substantially identical verbiage and what "type" means but the statute clearly says: "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" are banned. Good luck! I love my AK-103 clone.

I never saw anything with such names on receiver and I use to serve Soviet Army long ago with AKM and many other AK style rifles. Vepr or Saiga is non-millitary firearms, banned for import but not for sale or owning in US. Personally I wouldn't build AK but just buy Wasr 10 and be happy, modify it as you like and legal in NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All AK types are illegal in NJ. Always has been. The name means nothing. The NJSP has always looked the other way, except the one time with a dealer in Hamilton. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As per the NJSP - AK's in NJ are allowed as long as they do not say Kalasnikov on the frame!

Cannot be Russian (A. Kalasnikov) nor US Kalasnikov Concern, USA.

The fram can say "AK" on it - just not "Kalasnikov"

All other AK's are considered Sporting Rifles, and as long as they meet the NJ compliance regulations then they can be sold.........

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 9:58 AM, JT Custom Guns said:

As per the NJSP - AK's in NJ are allowed as long as they do not say Kalasnikov on the frame!

Cannot be Russian (A. Kalasnikov) nor US Kalasnikov Concern, USA.

The fram can say "AK" on it - just not "Kalasnikov"

All other AK's are considered Sporting Rifles, and as long as they meet the NJ compliance regulations then they can be sold.........

 

this is in contrast to the literal writing of the AW ban... just saying.. 

as paul said.. they have been allowed.. but if you go by how its written.. none of them are legal.. because they are "AK Type" rifles.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vladtepes said:

this is in contrast to the literal writing of the AW ban... just saying.. 

as paul said.. they have been allowed.. but if you go by how its written.. none of them are legal.. because they are "AK Type" rifles.. 

Wasn’t some sort of opinion given so they didn’t have to justify the entire AW ban in court at one point? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

This has been gone over more than once on this forum.

We have all our correspondence with the NJSP FIU & AG's office in writing and on file; we are very comfortable that all the rifles we sell are 100% NJ legal and complaint................

Do you remember the auto ordnance m1 carbine? if so that is why I stand by the fact that the AK is technically banned in NJ.. can you sell them? are there countless already out there? are others selling them? sure... are they technically banned.. sure.. for the same reason the AO was a no go.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

Do you remember the auto ordnance m1 carbine? if so that is why I stand by the fact that the AK is technically banned in NJ.. can you sell them? are there countless already out there? are others selling them? sure... are they technically banned.. sure.. for the same reason the AO was a no go.. 

In my opinion, we are comparing Apples to Oranges

The M-1 Carbine is banned no matter what mfg. and has been since the start. So if it Says M1-Carbine or M1 and is a carbine it is banned. The statute does not call out the M1's by mfg - just ALL M1's are Banned.

The stature does not say all AK's are banned; it says A. Koashnikov Types - so here they are used a particular manufacturer

There is a Big difference.................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

This has been gone over more than once on this forum.

We have all our correspondence with the NJSP FIU & AG's office in writing and on file; we are very comfortable that all the rifles we sell are 100% NJ legal and complaint................

So every time the AG changes do you have to get a new note? I still think it’s sketchy strictly by the way the statute is written. Could you win in court... maybe.  A jury will convict you 9 out of 10 times just because AK’s are the poster child for “evil Rifles” It’s a risk IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, carl_g said:

So every time the AG changes do you have to get a new note? I still think it’s sketchy strictly by the way the statute is written. Could you win in court... maybe.  A jury will convict you 9 out of 10 times just because AK’s are the poster child for “evil Rifles” It’s a risk IMO.

That would be you opinion, and you are entitled to it; but doesn't mean your right.

Would be hard to bring to court when the NJSP have audited books (3-4 times) showing them in/ out to NJ residents with no issues.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

In my opinion, we are comparing Apples to Oranges

The M-1 Carbine is banned no matter what mfg. and has been since the start. So if it Says M1-Carbine or M1 and is a carbine it is banned. The statute does not call out the M1's by mfg - just ALL M1's are Banned.

The stature does not say all AK's are banned; it says A. Koashnikov Types - so here they are used a particular manufacturer

There is a Big difference.................

Not trying to be a pain in the ass but Kalashnikov is the gun designer’s last name and until a few years ago the was no company or brand with Kalashnikov in the name. The law say types. It refers to no other gun on the ban list like this.. it’s meant to be a broad  statement against all AK types of sporting rifles.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Not trying to be a pain in the ass but Kalashnikov is the gun designer’s last name and until a few years ago the was no company or brand with Kalashnikov in the name. The law say types. It refers to no other gun on the ban list like this.. it’s meant to be a broad  statement against all AK types of sporting rifles.

Not totally correct!

JSC Kalashnikov Concern - is the managing company over Izhevsk Machine-Building Plant which makes Kalashnakovs in Russia

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Not totally correct!

JSC Kalashnikov Concern - is the managing company over Izhevsk Machine-Building Plant which makes Kalashnakovs in Russia

 

Right! They took over in 2013 before that they were known as Izhesvsk Machine Building Plant. That’s my point. This law was written well before 2013.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

In my opinion, we are comparing Apples to Oranges

The M-1 Carbine is banned no matter what mfg. and has been since the start. So if it Says M1-Carbine or M1 and is a carbine it is banned. The statute does not call out the M1's by mfg - just ALL M1's are Banned.

The stature does not say all AK's are banned; it says A. Koashnikov Types - so here they are used a particular manufacturer

There is a Big difference.................


It says M1 TYPE and it says AK TYPE... that is why the comparison is relevant.. 

It does NOT say the gun "Kalishnikov".. 

  • "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms"
  • "M1 carbine type"
  • " PJK M-68 carbine type"

In practice.. of course you are right.. they have looked the other way.. and they have done so for so long that it would be unreasonable for them to roll it back.. I am simply providing information to the original poster as I believe it to be accurate.. 

despite the state having looked the other way... despite there being uncountable numbers of AKs in NJ.. despite many NJ gun dealers selling them.. the entire type is prohibited per the NJ assault weapons ban.. 

the check list is fairly straight forward.. 

the state says "these guns are all banned.. there is then a long list.. if the gun is named on that list then it is automatically banned.. there are a FEW guns that go beyond just naming a specific make and model.. like the AK.... they flat out say ALL AK TYPES.. so the only question you can ask yourself is this.. is a Saiga.. is a WASR and AK type? or course it is.. so it is banned... 

will you get arrested? will gun shops be shut down? NO.. because the state has opted to not enforce.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

In my opinion, we are comparing Apples to Oranges

The M-1 Carbine is banned no matter what mfg. and has been since the start. So if it Says M1-Carbine or M1 and is a carbine it is banned. The statute does not call out the M1's by mfg - just ALL M1's are Banned.

The stature does not say all AK's are banned; it says A. Koashnikov Types - so here they are used a particular manufacturer

There is a Big difference.................


to play devils advocate.. how did you come to this conclusion when the wording is literally identical for each of those guns.. 

"Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms"

"M1 carbine type"

What was it there that told you they are to be interpreted differently? They are both broadly describing an entire range of firearms that are considered a type of firearm.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • NJGunForums Web Banner Ad May 2020.jpg

  • Supporting Vendors

  • Latest Topics

  • Posts

    • Thank you for your thought-provoking response.   I still fundamentally disagree, and in particular with your notion that let the courts sort it out.  The courts have given themselves the power to interpret the Constitution, and it is as a last resort.  Just as some founding fathers disagreed with this potential power that was grasped on, I disagree, as there should be more checks and balances of lawyers in robes.  That power was not intended for them to interpret broadly, but rather on a case by case basis using the actual written laws to closely interpret the meaning.  That said, ALL members of government are expected to judiciously respect and carry forth the Constitution and its Bill of Rights.  Why, otherwise, is an oath taken?  Just like wrongful judges that legislate from the bench there are cops with that mindset... Some even toss in the notion of case law.  ` These examples illustrated of American Citizen and Constitutionally-framed police are commenting that they are noticing a trend moving away from this essential viewpoint, which I also believe in, and that cops in general are becoming more militarized and they are taught to just let it be sorted out later.  The police used to be called more often keepers of the peace and have moved much more dedicatedly from that to law enforcement, which in some few examples has possibly garnered the term of jack-booted thugs.  I am not arguing whether or not the police are needed and I am not arguing that the majority have entered the abusive realm, but I am suggesting that many do see themselves as law enforcement over peace keeper.  I am not arguing whether or not you or I feel that there is a felt need for that shift pointed out, but I AM pointing out that it has lead directly to the "Us and Them" mentality ON BOTH SIDES.   Due to the Chinese Flu response, it is becoming more apparent that our police, some of whom didn't have your Civics Teacher, but big-government propaganda taught by Leftists, don't have that mooring grounded in judicious force  tempered with their oaths.   I do want to thank you personally for your service, Griz, and I will pray for your safety and others that put themselves in harms way to keep our society peaceful and safe.  Keep the faith and honor your oath.  
    • Can't go wrong with a Sig. At least I hope not as I just got one too. Now if we could only shoot them...... Congratulation!
    • A quick update, I picked up my gun yesterday from Jack at JT Custom Guns & Collectibles (https://www.jtcustomguns.com/).  The experience could not have been any better.  He was an hour and a half drive for me, which is far, but I would do it again in a heartbeat, and will probably have to when my wife's permits arrive.  I had never purchased a gun before and had only dealt with Jack over the phone and over the internet, so I was really nervous heading there initially, but his reputation on here and reviews online were exceptional.  Even so, it isn't every day you head over to a person's house to buy a gun....  As soon as I met Jack, my mind was at ease.  He was extremely friendly in person, very knowledgeable and professional.  Knowing that I was a first time gun buyer, he really went out of his way to make me feel at ease with the process and to educate me on my gun and guns in general.  He showed me how to take down the gun, how I would clean it, oil it and put it together.  We reviewed some issues I could experience when I'm at the range and how to troubleshoot it, reminding me several times that if I really get stuck to just give him a call or facetime him.  Knowing I had kids in the house, he provided me some literature regarding gun safety and security/education.  He then made a few suggestions on guns my wife could check out to ease her into the sport.  I don't really have a first hand point of reference, but talking to family members and friends, they never experienced the kind of patience and thorough 1-on-1 interaction with any gun dealers they've bought from.   Overall, if you have a good idea about what you want, I would highly recommend giving Jack a call.  His prices are good, he loves the sport and you can truly tell his priority is to make sure your gun buying experience is a good one. Here she is, I named her Stella.
    • should have built a 14.5 inch other    Worse case you pin a muzzle break and stock if things change.. but for now enjoy the fact it's an other.. 
    • There is nothing official from the ATF that states a brace must meet a 13.5" lop, so you don't have to follow that.  The brace is considered a removable accessory and has no bearing on the classification of the firearm.  Since its a brace, there is no LOP. Of all the ATF letters, not a single one measured lop.  
×
×
  • Create New...