deerpark

Will Murphy suspend property taxes with his cool new powers?

32 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

say, are state workers still working?  Not heard a peep on that.

I believe so. Either from home or in closed to public buildings.

8 hours ago, deerpark said:

If not, why not?

Why would he suspend any tax?

Did the cops in your town stop working? 

Is no one at town hall working? 

Are teachers not working from home? 

Do you want all of these people to just stop working?

1 hour ago, brucin said:

They're still expecting to get your state tax by 4/15. At least the Feds moved that back but not NJ as far as I know.

They said a few days ago it would be postponed.. but no word yet on that. How are people supposed to prep their taxes?

Governor Dumb Ass just stated he's talking to NJ congressional members to try and repeal the SALT Tax cap. He could just suspend NJ property tax by executive order. I'm sure it will be easier to convince 435 congress critters 100 senate members and the president to roll that back. The guy is an idiot.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Doesn’t the gas tax automatically go up?  With the price of gas and lack of drivers I’d bet that tax hits 250%

There is an auto indexing provision, that came along with the big gas tax increase a few years ago.  If/when gas consumption goes down, the tax increases to maintain the state's revenue flow.   It's a nasty bit of legislation.

I don't recall the details of how often the tax can be re-set based on consumption figures, and if it truly is written to maintain gas tax revenue at the same level, or simply increase the tax enough to partially offset the revenue loss as consumption drops.

Only NJ would figure out a way to penalize drivers for using less gas.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, deerpark said:

Yes?

Call your town then, let them know you want all municipality workers laid off so you don't have to pay your taxes.. :rofl:

22 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Dulcolax and Gatorade, just like a colonoscopy! :dump:

I guess you can put off the coloncopy preparations for now. 

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/nj-moves-income-tax-filing-deadline-to-july-15-because-of-coronavirus-crisis.html

NJ tax deadline extended to july 15

On 3/31/2020 at 11:01 AM, brucin said:

They're still expecting to get your state tax by 4/15. At least the Feds moved that back but not NJ as far as I know.

They moved it back today. 

This year is going to be FUBAR fiscally for the state. I bet that clock stays unplugged for a LOOOOOOOOONG time this year. 

2 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

They moved it back today. 

This year is going to be FUBAR fiscally for the state. I bet that clock stays unplugged for a LOOOOOOOOONG time this year. 

Yes, but NJ isn't fiscally FUBAR because income tax returns will come in late this year, NJ is fiscally FUBAR because they've been massively, stupidly, overspending for decades.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, 10X said:

Yes, but NJ isn't fiscally FUBAR because income tax returns will come in late this year, NJ is fiscally FUBAR because they've been massively, stupidly, overspending for decades.

That would be SNAFU.  This will be extra special. 

On 4/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, JackDaWack said:

Call your town then, let them know you want all municipality workers laid off so you don't have to pay your taxes.. :rofl:

I stopped expecting government, Republican or Democrat, to downsize (cut spending and lower taxes), a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, deerpark said:

I stopped expecting government, Republican or Democrat, to downsize (cut spending and lower taxes), a long time ago. 

Who said anything about downsizing? 

If you dont want to pay your taxes tell them ALL to go home and stop working

On 4/1/2020 at 7:57 AM, voyager9 said:

Doesn’t the gas tax automatically go up?  With the price of gas and lack of drivers I’d bet that tax hits 250%

It should not be going up.  The gas tax is directly linked to the state transportation fund which is used to repair and improve the roads.  Well, no one is on the road so I can't see what would need repairing.......unless they are raiding the fund for other "projects".

37 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

It should not be going up.  The gas tax is directly linked to the state transportation fund which is used to repair and improve the roads.  Well, no one is on the road so I can't see what would need repairing.......unless they are raiding the fund for other "projects".

Road damage is cause by the winter and plows more than anyone driving on them. Freezing water, cracks, plows ripping up broken parts...

Road projects kick in this time every year..