deerpark

Will Murphy suspend property taxes with his cool new powers?

On 3/31/2020 at 12:06 PM, JackDaWack said:

I believe so. Either from home or in closed to public buildings.

Why would he suspend any tax?

Did the cops in your town stop working? 

Is no one at town hall working? 

Are teachers not working from home? 

Do you want all of these people to just stop working?

I want my property taxes reduced by the amount of savings for schools being closed.  I want teachers pay reduced to the amount of hours they have worked, and my taxes reduced accordingly.  I want school administration pay stopped because they haven’t administered anything.  Also my taxes reduced accordingly.  Reduce my property taxes by those savings and I will be happy.

5 hours ago, capt14k said:

I want my property taxes reduced by the amount of savings for schools being closed.  I want teachers pay reduced to the amount of hours they have worked, and my taxes reduced accordingly.  I want school administration pay stopped because they haven’t administered anything.  Also my taxes reduced accordingly.  Reduce my property taxes by those savings and I will be happy.

Teachers are teaching online. Quite possibly spending more time than they did before to teach because they have to redo all the work they did planning around having a classroom a well as learning a bunch of new tools. 

School administrators are still dealing with budget, hire to deal with grades and regulatory compliance, and in most towns are running the continuation of nutritional support programs which are getting food and basic necessities out to families. Which might just be keeping those living from paycheck to paycheck from infecting you or breaking into your home to get said necessities. 

About the only thing they might be saving on are utilities. But given the time of year and the weather, that probably isn't much. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, raz-0 said:

About the only thing they might be saving on are utilities. But given the time of year and the weather, that probably isn't much. 

And busses, gas, drivers, maintenance.  
and after school and sports programs, hours. 
and in-building school lunches, supplies, staff. 

8 hours ago, capt14k said:

What if teachers have to work more, will you support tax increase?

Administration? What experience do you have that suggests they stopped working? MY district is working overtime right now over budget issues and curriculum. 

Do you just stop maintaining a building because no one is in it? 

"Busing" is usually contracted.. good luck getting that money back..

Any other brilliant ideas?

I would be more prone to asking that sports savings for the spring be applied to the capital budget, and saved for a rainy day... 

I've taken some time to participate in these "online" BOE meetings.. and its apparent that no one has stopped working or is working less. I would suggest everyone watch them in their own districts. It's bad enough people don't ever show up to them in person, no excuses now.

16 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

And busses, gas, drivers, maintenance.  
and after school and sports programs, hours. 
and in-building school lunches, supplies, staff. 

Busses are likely contacted so unless this goes on for more than a year the citrate is the contract.  If not contacted maintenance and any lab payments are still due. 

How much money do you think the sports programs get from the school? 

The lunch program money had moved to the continuation if nutrition program. Which is also using the busses. 

Basically, unless it goes on a while our your school system massively funds extra curricular activities, the savings is utilities and likely there are other extra expenses.