eyeinstine

Is this Lee press kit a good package to get started in reloading?

On 4/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, carl_g said:

My opinion: for the same money go with this kit:

https://kempfgunshop.com/Kempf_Kit_w/_Lee_Classic_Turret_Press_-90064Kit-6575.html

this place is a good place to deal with.. and this kit comes with a set of dies I believe. I have loaded thousands of rounds using this press and lee dies before moving to a progressive press. I still have it.

They kill you with shipping.. runs the kit to 255$...

Is there something in this kit that makes it better than this kit:

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-reloading-kits/lee-classic-cast-turret-press-kit

And finally, you want to sell your kit now that you moved on to a progressive press??

12 hours ago, JimB1 said:

I like the turret because it gives me a lot of options to how I reload. I batch stuff like a single stage press a lot too.

It's sort of a zen thing to just zone out and do one step at a time for 250 cases and it's not like I am in a rush to pump out ammo as fast as possible, if I was I'd be using a progressive press. I generally reload at night after my wife goes to bed so it's just hang out and listen to music time for me...

-Jim

This is my vision... An enjoyable and relaxing hobby..   I dont have a real NEED to reload.. i dont shoot all that much.. i would probably shoot more if i did reload myself..

Im a handy, self reliant person. I do all my own auto repairs, home repairs, etc.. hell, i even hunt, fish, and plant a garden. though i dont eat vegatables..   the ABILITY to reload just seems important to me. It goes along with my self reliant personality.. I want to teach my son too. hell, one day it will all be his anyway. Hopefully this coronavirus shit doesnt take me out cause he cant inherit all these guns at 16..

1 hour ago, JimB1 said:

Well, here’s the press. You could just buy the other stuff you need separately...

https://www.opticsplanet.com/lee-gunsmith-and-reloading-equipment-90064.html

-Jim

Be cautious. Optics Planet are well known for saying they have things in stock when they don't. They will charge your card when you order, not when they get around to fulfilling it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

They kill you with shipping.. runs the kit to 255$...

Is there something in this kit that makes it better than this kit:

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-reloading-kits/lee-classic-cast-turret-press-kit

And finally, you want to sell your kit now that you moved on to a progressive press??

I think it includes a set of dies where the titan reloading kit does not? I have not thought about it... I have full set ups for 9mm 45 ACP and .223 with separate powder measures and turrets for each..

Let me think about it.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 11:50 AM, carl_g said:

I think it includes a set of dies where the titan reloading kit does not? I have not thought about it... I have full set ups for 9mm 45 ACP and .223 with separate powder measures and turrets for each..

Let me think about it.

Let me know if you decide you want to sell...    and those are 3 of the main calibers i want to reload! :D

• Like 1

That's the press I was going to buy until a friend that looks at all kinds of house sales found me a Lyman Al American. Sure it's an older model turret press but it's built like a truck. Also I didn't want to get the shellholders that adjust to the old model. I wound up going on E-bay and found all the shellholders I needed. Here's a pic.

Lyman20in20up20position.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, the big thing to remember about taking your time and forget the thought about reloading saves you money.  Maybe for exotic or ancient Western ammo like (.32-20; .32-40; .45-70 and above -90; .110). Boy when I first started I had to be told that I had to label boxes and how many times that I used some brass. I actually thought that I just cleaned used brass, threw it in a plastic tub and used it again. :)

Luckily I had a good instructor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/4/2020 at 11:50 AM, carl_g said:

Let me think about it.

I just checked UPS ground is less than $20. 192 + 20 = 212 Doesn't look like they charge sales tax. Makes it a pretty good deal. Also I don't prime on the press. Been using a Lee Auto prime. Works very good. Do it while watching TV/movie.

Aren't die sets retail going from $30-50? Even if you cut their worth by half,  you got 3 die sets that would cost you close to $100 or more. I know when I bought my used press my friend told me a good chunk of the price was in the 3-4 reloading dies included.

Bag I'm not arguing with you because I am nowhere near any kind of expert in reloading. But I can check prices.

10 hours ago, drjjpdc said:

Aren't die sets retail going from $30-50? Even if you cut their worth by half,  you got 3 die sets that would cost you close to $100 or more. I know when I bought my used press my friend told me a good chunk of the price was in the 3-4 reloading dies included.

Bag I'm not arguing with you because I am nowhere near any kind of expert in reloading. But I can check prices.

12 hours ago, drjjpdc said:

Actually this looks like a pretty good deal on GB. Plus it has dies you wanted. Only about a day and 15 hours. No bids or negative feedback. No reserve. What do you other guys think?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864264523

When Im buying "used" Im not giving more than a 1/3 to 1/2 of new price.

Somethings worth is equal to what a person is willing to pay. Its a personal choice that has no bearing on what other individuals think the worth should or shouldn't be.

I mean you you did ask what do you guys think? So I gave ya what I think.

Yea, I wouldn't pay near full price for a used die. You don't know how it was treated. I was taught to use a cheap decapping die first before cleaning the brass to make sure my sizing dies don't get gunked up with spent powder residues. Helps keep the quality dies clean and last longer. Can't guarantee people selling their dies clean theirs or take care of them.

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

Yea, I wouldn't pay near full price for a used die. You don't know how it was treated. I was taught to use a cheap decapping die first before cleaning the brass to make sure my sizing dies don't get gunked up with spent powder residues. Helps keep the quality dies clean and last longer. Can't guarantee people selling their dies clean theirs or take care of them.

Everyone has different processes that work for them. For instance, I wet tumble so for pistol, yes I decap with a universal decamping die then clean, then continue loading.  For 223, I just spray lube the cases resize and decap in the same stroke of the press. That die gets cleaned after every session. Then I trim before I tumble.. Crimp removal comes last in my process..I don’t want to clean 2 times and it works for me.. for others that may not work. There are a ton of ways to come up with the same result. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, carl_g said:

Everyone has different processes that work for them. For instance, I wet tumble so for pistol, yes I decap with a universal decamping die then clean, then continue loading.  For 223, I just spray lube the cases resize and decap in the same stroke of the press. That die gets cleaned after every session. Then I trim before I tumble.. Crimp removal comes last in my process..I don’t want to clean 2 times and it works for me.. for others that may not work. There are a ton of ways to come up with the same result. 

I do the same but recently picked up a swaging tool for my RCBS so I decrimp and size before tumbling.  Like you I always clean my dies after use. 

Fugured i would post a quick follow up.. The classic lee turret kit was back in stock for a very short time at Titan reloading.. i miss the boat. Figured im not in any rush, i have plenty of factory ammo on hand. Want to put more thought into this and maybe hold old for better quality used stuff. If nothing comes up by the time im ready, then i go with the Lee classic turret kit..

Also, heres a little list i compiled of some things i need and a few things i have but dont need..

Looking for;

12ga primers.
1 1/8 wads for AA hulls.
7.5 & 8 shot
Long chrome primer holder tube for MEC 650 old style primer feed.

.303 british press dies
7.7x58 Jap (arisaka type 99) dies
9mm dies
.40s&w dies

reloading componenets (bullets, primers, powder, brass) for 9mm,.40s&w,.45acp,.357/38,.303 british, 7.7jap.

reloading equipment such as turrent press, powder measure, scales, etc etc. anything to get started accuiring good equipment.

Have and dont need, sell or trade.
.32 winchester special RCBS dies
Hornady 30 Cal .308 160 gr FTX® (308 Marlin Express) Flex Tip bullets. 100 ct. box
10 pcs Winchester nickel plated .243 WSSM brass.

6 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

.. i miss the boat.

Since you have a little more time to finalize things, I'd like to recommend you go visit Salomon's Shooter Supply in Farmingdale and talk to Gene.  If you plan on buying anything, bring cash.  Gene loves to talk about reloading and his prices are very good.  Do it on a Sunday, he opens at 1.

I usually shoot a couple rounds before I go into the shop, but I think the trap range is closed.  Have not been there in a while.  A couple rounds of regulation trap is worth the ride itself, very friendly group of regulars there, but getting to talk to Gene about reloading is about as good as you can get.  You won't regret going there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Since you have a little more time to finalize things, I'd like to recommend you go visit Salomon's Shooter Supply in Farmingdale and talk to Gene.  If you plan on buying anything, bring cash.  Gene loves to talk about reloading and his prices are very good.  Do it on a Sunday, he opens at 1.

I usually shoot a couple rounds before I go into the shop, but I think the trap range is closed.  Have not been there in a while.  A couple rounds of regulation trap is worth the ride itself, very friendly group of regulars there, but getting to talk to Gene about reloading is about as good as you can get.  You won't regret going there.

scorp,

I had planned on making that trip there right before this covid virus bullchit really started in..  I def get there once things settle down about.. Its only about 40 mins from me, and 10 mins from where my daughter keeps one of the horses and train with her instructor..  hoping to possible score the long primer tube for my MEC 650 that has the old style primer feed system..  And old dusty place is just about right for finding something like that...

• Like 1

Whats everyones thoughts on this deal??   Is this a much better press than the lee classic turret??   This used Leyman comes with two sets of dies i dont need..  Then of course i still need all the other items that the Lee classic turret kit comes with.. Scale, powder measure, etc etc...   But in the long run, if i slowly acquire used leyman/RCBS/etc equipment, will i be much better off?  Even going all used, ill have more $ in the used stuff than the new lee kit..

Heres a link to what im looking at.. Hopefully no SOB reads this and swipes it! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyman-T-MAG-Reloading-Set-up-Press-w-38-Spec-357-44-Magnum-Spec-Dies/254569212107?hash=item3b4581e8cb:g:uqQAAOSw1mZdn3av:sc:USPSPriority!08562!US!-1

Buy it now quick! Or offer him 150.  100 bucks at least in dies and that means 75 bucks for that press!  Its a steal at that price and much better than the Lee.  I can sell you all else that comes with that Lee for cheap...stuff that I dont even use anymore.  I have 3 Loadmasters setup now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Buy it now quick! Or offer him 150.  100 bucks at least in dies and that means 75 bucks for that press!  Its a steal at that price and much better than the Lee.  I can sell you all else that comes with that Lee for cheap...stuff that I dont even use anymore.  I have 3 Loadmasters setup now.

Ok @Tunaman im holding you to it! What kinda of great deals you got for me on the accesssories i will need???  Cause i made an offer and the seller accepted.. :D:D       I havnt bought on ebay for awhile, and didnt realize ebay tacks NJ sales tax on all the items at checkout.. So with shipping and tax i have 198$ into this..  Ironically, last week i had bought a near new RCBS 38/357 carbide die set.. This Leyman setup comes with a set too.. So the RCBs ones i just bought will end up in my trades list..    

Hope i made a wise buy.. I see the redesigned T-Mag II press can be had online for about 190$ plus shipping etc.. So i have about the same into this one with the two die sets..  Anyone know the changes between the original T-Mag and the newer T-Mag II ??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Ok @Tunaman im holding you to it! What kinda of great deals you got for me on the accesssories i will need???  Cause i made an offer and the seller accepted.. :D:D       I havnt bought on ebay for awhile, and didnt realize ebay tacks NJ sales tax on all the items at checkout.. So with shipping and tax i have 198$ into this..  Ironically, last week i had bought a near new RCBS 38/357 carbide die set.. This Leyman setup comes with a set too.. So the RCBs ones i just bought will end up in my trades list..    

Hope i made a wise buy.. I see the redesigned T-Mag II press can be had online for about 190$ plus shipping etc.. So i have about the same into this one with the two die sets..  Anyone know the changes between the original T-Mag and the newer T-Mag II ??

I have the Lee scale, a small digital scale  and the perfect powder measure.  What are you going to be reloading?  I have 9mm dies and .40 dies.  What else do you need?  PM me your address and I'll send you a box of stuff.  I am not using it anymore.

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Make sure he sends the priming parts...

as i looked more closely at the pictures (after i already bought it! lol) i dont see the priming parts, so i doubt they are there or included..  but upon firther google reading up on this press this evening, it seems the consensus is the priming system isnt very good or reliable and most people use a hand primer instead.. So maybe ill keep an eye out for one. If i decide to go with a press mounted one anyway, a standard universal press adapter fits this press and many others. Same design on the rcbs, etc etc.. The rcbs universal press adapter is only about 15-20$, and then the tubes and upper parts about another 20$..   Starting to second guess myself if i jumped the gun too soon on this one.. Most reviews seemed good, but as i dig deeper, seems the general consensus is the lee classic turret over this one. The small flex in the turret of the Leyman isnt ideal for rifle rounds, but does work great for pistol rounds. I do like the idea of the 6 stations as opposed to the 4 on the Lee. But spare turrets for the Lyman are double the price of the Lee.  But hey, once im set up and running, none of it will matter or be much of a thought  when its making rounds.

Did some reading on powder measurers. Seems the lyman 55 is probably the best bang for the buck in the used market..?

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I dont know anything about the Lyman powder measure but I do have a Lee one and the scale if you want them.  I know that is a good press as a friend of mine has one for many years now.

Let me know how much for the powder measure and scale..

This press will serve me well! Looking forward to its arrival..  This guy makes it look so easy! lol  But it shows how well this press will work when setup right.. i wonder what auto bullet feeder and what auto powder measure drop that is?

37 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Let me know how much for the powder measure and scale..

This press will serve me well! Looking forward to its arrival..  This guy makes it look so easy! lol  But it shows how well this press will work when setup right.. i wonder what auto bullet feeder and what auto powder measure drop that is?

Just pm me your name and address and I'll get them out to you.  No charge...just paying it forward.

• Thanks 1