5 hours ago, Nogunverysad said:

Forgive me for my constant need for clarification; given what you just said, this would negate the need for the all coveted FID? 

Not at all. Permanent alien residents still need a FID to purchase in NJ.

5 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I can speak with authority here because I am a UK citizen with legal permanent resident status living in NJ.

A non-immigrant person present in the US with a visa is not generally allowed to obtain or possess firearms.

If you obtain LPR status you are eligible for many of the rights guaranteed to the citizens of the US by the constitution - 2A being one of them.

As an LPR I still have to jump through all the legal hoops that a citizen does to obtain firearms in NJ - including FPIC and PtPP. I also have to provide my green card at an FFL when doing a background check to prove that I am here as an LPR, not a US citizen.

I married an immigrant myself. Once her petition to become a permanent resident was approved, getting a FID was a breeze.

She did not need to show her green card when purchasing her Beretta M9A1. Once you have a FID, that's all you need to prove you can buy a firearm (not including handgun permits).

On 4/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, SJG said:

"Neither Florida nor New Jersey recognize dual residency  "    False

I based this statement On what I was told by the DMV when I inherited property in FL about 6 yrs ago. When transferring title to a car I also inherited (Keeping it titled in FL changed to my name was no problem), I asked about getting a FL drivers license as being a FL property owner. I was told that FL did not recognized dual residency. They said I could get a FL, DL being a property owner  but would have to surrender my NJ DL. I was doing this in hopes of being able to buy my firearms in FL without jumping through the hoops and restrictions in NJ.

I'm thinking (dual) residency maybe different in different contexts. You can have "a residence" in two states perhaps and have some resident privileges in both perhaps, but if I'm not mistaken  you can only be a legal resident in the one you live 6 mo or more a year in?

If this is not true and you can be a (dual) legal resident in two states accomplishing what my intentions were (living 90% of the time in NJ but owning a home and purchasing firearms in FL) would be legal to do as a resident and in both states. I took a shot and could see the reason (under current law) it didnt work out.

Like I said above this is what I based "Neither Florida nor New Jersey recognize dual residency"  statement on.

I may be wrong and don't want to open up a big can of worms if I am, but I'm thinking if there are some provisions for recognized dual residency it omits some rights and privilege's from one vs the one you enjoy in the state you live in 51% of the time.

Maybe a better choice of words have been legal resident.

1 minute ago, fslater said:

Even powder???????

Yep.   There is a cap on the quantity allowed in residential storage, but it's pretty high.   36 lbs, I think.  And as I recall, the storage requirements for black powder are more stringent.

9 minutes ago, fslater said:

I based this statement On what I was told by the DMV when I inherited property in FL about 6 yrs ago. When transferring title to a car I also inherited (Keeping it titled in FL changed to my name was no problem), I asked about getting a FL drivers license as being a FL property owner. I was told that FL did not recognized dual residency. They said I could get a FL, DL being a property owner  but would have to surrender my NJ DL. I was doing this in hopes of being able to buy my firearms in FL without jumping through the hoops and restrictions in NJ.

I'm thinking (dual) residency maybe different in different contexts. You can have "a residence" in two states perhaps and have some resident privileges in both perhaps, but if I'm not mistaken  you can only be a legal resident in the one you live 6 mo or more a year in?

If this is not true and you can be a (dual) legal resident in two states accomplishing what my intentions were (living 90% of the time in NJ but owning a home and purchasing firearms in FL) would be legal to do as a resident and in both states. I took a shot and could see the reason (under current law) it didnt work out.

Like I said above this is what I based "Neither Florida nor New Jersey recognize dual residency"  statement on.

I may be wrong and don't want to open up a big can of worms if I am, but I'm thinking if there are some provisions for recognized dual residency it omits some rights and privilege's from one vs the one you enjoy in the state you live in 51% of the time.

Maybe a better choice of words have been legal resident.

The Feds explicitly state that it is legal to purchase handguns in a state that you have residency including if you live part time in two or multiple states.

My issue was getting enough ID in Florida without surrendering my NJ driver license.  It used to be fairly painless getting a Florida state ID.  Now, in Florida, you must surrender ALL other state IDs before they will issue either a Florida driver license or state ID.

Others have said they purchase with deed/tax forms/bills for address and a passport.   I have not tried this but it seems like it could work, and I suspect some shops might turn you away.   I dunno. 

A PM came my way on this topic, so I'm popping in on this slumbering thread with new (but not necessarily important) information.

I was the first 'dual state resident' customer at my PA FFL back in 2018. During my last purchase there in 2020 that FFL told me that now they even have 'dual citizen' purchasers. They had a Canadian citizen with a PA residence buy some firearms. The 'funny' part was the background check took a couple days because it had to be routed through immigration and international authorities. (I don't remember which specific one/ones.) But his purchase was approved.

You think we have it bad? Check out what's going on now in Canada with the new Trudeau brewed confiscation scheme.