7 hours ago, Nogunverysad said:

I think I stumbled into drama here without meaning to lol. Back to Reddit I go. 

Yeah there's some drama but I gotta tell you, NJGUNS is absolutely the worse place to get advice. There's way too many greendays and no smoke50s. I.e. They know nothing. It's actually worse, they think they know something. And the hive mentality makes it impossible to any give accurate advice. I used to be fairly active there but figured my time would be better spent here making fun of @zeke fruity meatloaf.

You can bring any NJ legal firearm you own to your NJ residence as long as your not a disqualified person.

If you are not a Florida resident you cannot legally purchase a handgun in Florida.

Neither Florida nor New Jersey recognize dual residency 

If you do own and legally keep a handgun in NJ you cannot purchase handgun ammo without a FID.

Ironically that brings to mind a question I have. If you live in NJ and do not have a FID, can you buy all the stuff you need to load your own? I'd be surprised if you could buy powder without one but I'm thinking bullets, cases, primers, machines are all unrestricted? is this correct?

4 hours ago, fslater said:

Ironically that brings to mind a question I have. If you live in NJ and do not have a FID, can you buy all the stuff you need to load your own? I'd be surprised if you could buy powder without one but I'm thinking bullets, cases, primers, machines are all unrestricted? is this correct?

You can buy any and all of the components to reload without any permit of any description.

• Informative 1

On 4/1/2020 at 5:14 PM, Malsua said:

Florida does not require P2P for handguns.

Florida does require a state or federal picture ID with a your address located in FL to purchase a handgun.

You could purchase a long gun, but as a NJ resident, I'm not quite sure what they'd do now.  Call NJ nics?  No idea, they'd probably just turn you away.  You used to be able to fill out the long gun form.  They'd look at you funny and toss it in the trash I suspect.

You can purchase person to person in Florida without involving a dealer and it legally cannot violate federal laws.

Not True. I bought a handgun in Florida last January with my NJ Drivers license.  They made a copy of it along with my Florida CWFL.  On the application I had to use my Florida home address.   They looked up my Lee county property tax record. I was told as long as I have a home in Florida that's in my name the state of Florida considers me a duel resident. Being I had a CWFL I was able to take my new Sig P365 with me that day. 

• Informative 1

52 minutes ago, Greenday said:

For those who want the short answer to the question above, yes. Permanent residents who hold foreign citizen can buy guns, including in NJ.

Forgive me for my constant need for clarification; given what you just said, this would negate the need for the all coveted FID? 

11 hours ago, EX Carnival man said:

Not True. I bought a handgun in Florida last January with my NJ Drivers license.  They made a copy of it along with my Florida CWFL.  On the application I had to use my Florida home address.   They looked up my Lee county property tax record. I was told as long as I have a home in Florida that's in my name the state of Florida considers me a duel resident. Being I had a CWFL I was able to take my new Sig P365 with me that day. 

Sorry for my ignorance. Am trying to learn and be lawful. Would you need an FID to do this? I’m in the process of getting straight with one as we speak, as I got the classic de facto denial with no reason and no history of psych/arrests/restraining orders/nothing but would like to get my hands on something in the mean time in light of current events. I’m no stranger to firearms, been a member of hunting clubs all my life with my father and hunted wild bore in Florida. Even enlisted in the army. But now I don’t live with pops and can’t have anything here at this house since I was denied for whatever reason. 

So, using this method, I could LEGALLY own without an FID even though I was denied? In your opinion, of course, which I understand is not legal advice. 

5 minutes ago, Nogunverysad said:

Forgive me for my constant need for clarification; given what you just said, this would negate the need for the all coveted FID? 

I can speak with authority here because I am a UK citizen with legal permanent resident status living in NJ.

A non-immigrant person present in the US with a visa is not generally allowed to obtain or possess firearms.

If you obtain LPR status you are eligible for many of the rights guaranteed to the citizens of the US by the constitution - 2A being one of them.

As an LPR I still have to jump through all the legal hoops that a citizen does to obtain firearms in NJ - including FPIC and PtPP. I also have to provide my green card at an FFL when doing a background check to prove that I am here as an LPR, not a US citizen.

• Informative 1

On 4/2/2020 at 12:20 PM, 45Doll said:

Thanks for the kudos Rosey. Let me embellish one point.

My dream required me to own a house in PA, so I can produce tax documents with our names on it to show to the FFL before he calls PICS for the background check. For good measure I bring an electric bill. Coincidentally both those documents show our PA and NJ addresses, because we have the bills sent to NJ (our state of domicile) where we are most of the time. But it's not necessary. 

Usually my PA LTCF is used for state identification, and my NJDL written in the margin if it's a handgun purchase, which has a separate form in PA. But PICS definitely uses my SSN and NJ DL to do the background check.

Side note: Occasionally a PICS supervisor must be brought into the call, because some of the PICS frontline agents don't know the law either.

If I was renting in PA, I would be able to do the same thing. Then it would be a lease with the utility bill.

Kudos to you too Rosey for all your hard work at CNJFO. Your team too.

Why do you maintain both residences?

5 minutes ago, carl_g said:

I get it.. I was really asking why are you still in NJ?? :D

A perfectly reasonable question. We built our dream house in 1993 and we still love it. So we're holding on to it as long as we can. We honestly haven't seen a comparably sized and priced house that compares with it. At least for our taste.

Living in a house you took three years to design is a unique experience. Not that there weren't a few mistakes (there always are), and some things are now outdated. But we, and especially my wife, still love it.

12 hours ago, EX Carnival man said:

Was the sale in Jan 19 or 20? Because the poster you copied mentioned elsewhere that the rules changed in late 19 so if you purchased in 19 what he says about  the Real ID being stricter now makes sense. I myself am in my FL house for a while but not going to venture out to a gun store if I don't need to these days. Don't need the tires on my Car with NJ plates getting slashed lol. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, siderman said:

Was the sale in Jan 19 or 20? Because the poster you copied mentioned elsewhere that the rules changed in late 19 so if you purchased in 19 what he says about  the Real ID being stricter now makes sense. I myself am in my FL house for a while but not going to venture out to a gun store if I don't need to these days. Don't need the tires on my Car with NJ plates getting slashed lol. 

It was January 2020

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, EX Carnival man said:

Its non. I have an old NJ Drivers license that's up in June.  The Florida CWFL's don't have address on them

Hmmm, I got a non too. Not in the market for another hg now but am curious since I have same ID criteria if it would get me one here also. Project for another day thanx for info.

2 minutes ago, siderman said:

Hmmm, I got a non too. Not in the market for another hg now but am curious since I have same ID criteria if it would get me one here also. Project for another day thanx for info.

As long as you have a home that's in your name and not a trust, all they have to do is  pull up your property tax record your good to go. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, EX Carnival man said:

I have a NJ FID.  I had one since 1982. They never asked to see it. The Property tax information and a photo ID is what they need. 

I trust that. Just worried about what would happen if I did this, acquired it legally, but brought it back to my NJ home and had to use it in self defense and questioned how I got this firearm while denied an FID

1 minute ago, Nogunverysad said:

I trust that. Just worried about what would happen if I did this, acquired it legally, but brought it back to my NJ home and had to use it in self defense and questioned how I got this firearm while denied an FID

I see your problem I wouldn't bring anything I bought out of state back to NJ. NJ is a crazy place as we all know when it comes to firearm ownership. I brought almost everything I own down to Florida. I just kept 3 here that I purchased in NJ for H/D. 

15 hours ago, EX Carnival man said:

Out of curiosity is you CWFL filed as "resident" ?