Zeke

Uptick in gun sales means....

My take on the outcome of this buying spree: 

Essentially, people don't really change. Just the situation. 

Group 1. The existing owner who just bought more. They are going to be exactly like they were before. No change, no impact. 

Group 2. The person who wasn't anti-gun but never actually got around to be a gun owner. Don't expect a lot of 2a support, but they will probably take it personal when a law is passed and someone informs them that they haven't been paying attention and are now a criminal. At that point they will take it really personally IMO as they will view it as an attack on them. They might be useful being backlash at some point in the future. 

Group 3. Guns are evil, but right now a necessary evil. They will engage in cognitive dissonance after the fact just like they are right now to go buy a gun. They will squawk with rage if it ever comes back on them and makes them a felon because how can this happen to someone with all the right think? But they will vote for all the shit that will lead to that problem in the first place. 

Outside of those in financial distress because of this trying to get some cash to keep body and soul together, most won't get rid of them. They will be lazy and not pay attention and let it sit in the closet or wherever outside of something intruding into their lives to motivate them otherwise. 

• Agree 2

@Mrs. Peel (I'm singling you out here, because from my unscientific study, you are one of the more active mods)....

There's several posts in several threads about first time gun owners. What do you think about a LOCKED thread, that:

1: Welcomes them.

2: Provides a FAQ, consisting of links to NJSP Gun section, and other first timer info, maybe training info as well.

3: Links to NJ Based 2A Orgs with brief a description and why they deserve support from all gun owners.

4-x: TBD.

I proposed it being locked so it can't get political or off track. Also, would there be a way to direct all new accounts here to be directed there?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kc17 said:

@Mrs. Peel (I'm singling you out here, because from my unscientific study, you are one of the more active mods)....

There's several posts in several threads about first time gun owners. What do you think about a LOCKED thread, that:

2: Provides a FAQ, consisting of links to NJSP Gun section, and other first timer info, maybe training info as well.

3: Links to NJ Based 2A Orgs with brief a description and why they deserve support from all gun owners.

I proposed it being locked so it can't get political or off track. Also, would there be a way to direct all new accounts here to be directed there?

#4 TBD could be misused, if Emma Peel is in charge of the FAQ. She'll use that section to push her views on what that odd pork product should be called.   She may even promote it to #1.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, 10X said:

#4 TBD could be misused, if Emma Peel is in charge of the FAQ. She'll use that section to push her views on what that odd pork product should be called.   She may even promote it to #1.

I wholeheartedly endorse Peel to use #4 to finally set the record straight on the proper name of the awsomenest breakfast meat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Handyman said:

All this talk of Taylor Ham reminds me - did anyone used to eat that "chicken roll" stuff they used to have in the deli like 40 years ago? It was like all the beaks, feet and anuses ground up and glued together. Good stuff. 

Mmmmmm mmmmmm! I love me some feet and beaks!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Handyman said:

All this talk of Taylor Ham reminds me - did anyone used to eat that "chicken roll" stuff they used to have in the deli like 40 years ago? It was like all the beaks, feet and anuses ground up and glued together. Good stuff. 

I loved chicken roll as a kid. Now it's just breaded and fried and called chicken nuggets. 

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

All this talk of Taylor Ham pork roll reminds me - did anyone used to eat that "chicken roll" stuff they used to have in the deli like 40 years ago? It was like all the beaks, feet and anuses ground up and glued together. Good stuff. 

FTFY

4 hours ago, kc17 said:

Okaaay… what I hear you saying is that ALL new gun owners (and new members in general) joining our site will henceforth be REQUIRED to only use "Taylor Ham" (both the name and the fine product) from this point forward! Am I right? Did I understand you correctly?... That I should implement "4-x" (a.k.a. the Taylor Ham nuclear option) immediately? :D

Seriously... though. I take your point! Funny enough, I had planned at one point to pin a thread somewhere with contact info on all the 2A orgs (NJ and national), but never completed it. (I probably still have all the info on my backup laptop - it was pretty extensive - I'll look for that this weekend). FYI, we do already have a New Firearms Owner's Corner here: https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/forum/70-new-firearms-owners-corner/ - with a few pinned threads. We also have some pinned threads with helpful information located under the NJ Gun Laws section. However, I'm not even sure how recently they've been looked at, reviewed and refreshed (if needed). 

In summary, I like your overall suggestion! I just need to review the current threads, their locations, identify gaps, and see what makes the most sense. I'm hoping it's as simple as adding a few more pinned threads, refreshing older ones, and perhaps updating the welcome message to new members - with a few pointers specifically for the new gun owners to pinned threads of interest. So, please give me some time, but I'll start working on it this weekend, pulling in other admin/mods as needed! Thanks for the great feedback.

Now, let's get back to the merits of chicken roll... or, as I prefer to call it: Taylor Chicken!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Taylor chicken is way before my time,  Is it still made?

I haven't had chicken roll since I was a kid. And I don't remember seeing it in a deli in ages. Googling now...!

Edit: A new experience awaits you, @WP22

https://www.shoprite.com/pd/Weaver/Chicken-Roll-Pre-Sliced/1-lb/237660000006/

10 hours ago, Handyman said:

Yep, I/we used to get chicken roll and cheese subs from Bob's deli on Davis Ave in Kearny. Delicious! 

21 hours ago, Greenday said:

You sound like my wife. "The only thing Glocks are good for is pistol whipping."

Have you ever tried that?  It's awkward, although doable. 

2 hours ago, JimB1 said:

Since new shooters need to practice chicken roll can be used in place of ballistics gel I guess :)

From what I'm reading in this thread, they even taste the same.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JimB1 said:

Since new shooters need to practice chicken roll can be used in place of ballistics gel I guess :)

Paul Harrell's newest meat target... it went through the pork chop pectoral and where it hit ribs it broke them, but did not make it past the chicken roll simulating lung tissue exposed to parkway traffic fumes. 

36 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Have you ever tried that?  It's awkward, although doable. 

Pistol whipping someone? No. I'm trying to avoid having to getting into a potential deadly argument if I can (Which if a Glock is being drawn, I'd assume it is.).

Not entirely sure why she hates Glocks so much.

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

Not entirely sure why she hates Glocks so much.

Because she's smart, probably.   I'm sure our comrades here will make a remark about that.