revenger

compensators muzzle brakes ?

i'm putting together the lowers I had floating around for the last few years and am going to be building what I would consider a target uppers

from being at the range with people that have these end of barrel devices they are quite a bit louder and make my fillings in my teeth loose.

does anyone just cut off the threads and crown their barrels?        and are there any machinists / gunsmiths that will do this around here?

Thanks     

4 minutes ago, revenger said:

i'm putting together the lowers I had floating around for the last few years and am going to be building what I would consider a target uppers

from being at the range with people that have these end of barrel devices they are quite a bit louder and make my fillings in my teeth loose.

does anyone just cut off the threads and crown their barrels?        and are there any machinists / gunsmiths that will do this around here?

Thanks     

Why not just put a cap on the threads or get a non threaded barrel

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Why not just put a cap on the threads or get a non threaded barrel

didn't know they were available and how good is the crown with one of these.     I can always get the threads recut once NJ legalizes suppressors  right?,     

Barrels are all crowned whether threaded or not - i would submit that if you are looking at a non threaded barrel for a target build the barrel is probably better overall build quality than threaded but not all the time.

NJ will never allow suppressors - ever - not going to happen - ever.

Why not just get the barrel you want - threaded or not and go build - if threaded and you dont want a compensator - add a cap and pin/weld in place.

Cutting threads on a barrel can be down by almost any competent machinist - but the barrel has to come off the rifle and devoid of any hardware to get the proper center line rotation on the machine.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:36 PM, Displaced Texan said:

I don’t know anyone locally who has the capability to thread a muzzle (maybe Remixer), Adco firearms in Ohio can, and specializes in AR-15’s. 

Tier 1 Defense definitely do this. I hear good things about the owner, Mike. https://tieronedefense.com/

• Like 1

I took USrifle30cals advise and found a 20" heavy barrel with a target crown, no threads     bought all the other parts except BCG and floating handguard.    even all the AR parts are becoming scarce and prices going up.

I also discovered I'm acronym challenged when it comes to some AR terminology,     M-lok ?  not sure but I think its a proprietary mounting method.   

thanks       

Avoid ADCO. They butchered a friend’s Carbine and refused to make it right.

Tier 1 does good work.

MLOK all the things. 

Don’t use MLOK to mount rail sections - although you can if you have to. The beauty of MLOK is all the direct mount options removing the need for 1913/pic rail sections. Saves weight, saves bulk, extremely reliable and strong, saves tolerance stacking, removes a possible point of failure.

2keby9e.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Avoid ADCO. They butchered a friend’s Carbine and refused to make it right.

2keby9e.jpg

Interesting about Adco. I’ve used them for many years and never had an issue. Really only for compliance work, pin/weld muzzle devices though. 

I’ll keep that in mind, although I seriously doubt I’ll need any compliance work done EVER again. 

As for needing someone to thread the barrel; I don't see the point? 

If you have a threaded barrel already - buy a thread protector (nut) and have a dealer pin it for you - done!

if you have a non-threaded barrel already - you're good to go!

For some reason if you needed to have that non-threaded barrel cut / threaded - Mike at Tier One does excellent work BUT remember if it's a chrome lined barrel and you cut it, the chrome will eventually peel - they always do.

Best of Luck!

JT