rifleman

home gardening?

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

source.gif

Hey, I have a valid reason.   Circa 1977, my mother bought two packets of Egg plant seeds.    Our garden was probably 75 feet long, 50 feet wide(I grew up on a farm, our garden was small for the area).  One entire of row of egg plants.  Each mound got one seed.  The entire packs planted.  They all grew.  There were at least 50-60 egg plants.    Each produced at least 4 big purple eggplants.   

We had eggplant parmigiana, eggplant-kabobs, eggplant creole, eggplant gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple eggplant, lemon eggplant, coconut eggplant, pepper eggplant, eggplant soup, eggplant stew, eggplant salad,  eggplant and potatoes, eggplant burger, eggplant sandwich.   I swore off eggplant for life.

19 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Hey, I have a valid reason.

(Ugh) Throwing your sweet loving mother under the bus.  She kept you fed with all of those lovingly prepared meals.  Although, I do have to question her commingling eggplant and pineapple.  Are you related to Zeke by any chance?

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

(Ugh) Throwing your sweet loving mother under the bus.  She kept you fed with all of those lovingly prepared meals.  Although, I do have to question her commingling eggplant and pineapple.  Are you related to Zeke by any chance?

Well, as High Exposure pointed out, I was quoting Forest Gump.  I don't think we actually had that particular combo.  What we did have was mountains of fried eggplant sandwiches.    Yup.  Bread, pan fried eggplant.   Maybe with a little mustard.   I'll let you in on a secret.  It tastes like mushy dog shit when it sits in  your lunchbox for 5 hours after being in the fridge all night.

Wife actually put our little plantlings in the new raised beds today.   Last Frost up here is like May 23 or something but we will keep an eye on it and cover as necessary. 

Good luck with your garden.  I love the cucumbers, wife loves the tomatoes.   Way better than the rubber you get in the grocery store.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/28/2020 at 8:47 PM, Malsua said:

Wife actually put our little plantlings in the new raised beds today.   Last Frost up here is like May 23 or something but we will keep an eye on it and cover as necessary. 

Good luck with your garden.  I love the cucumbers, wife loves the tomatoes.   Way better than the rubber you get in the grocery store.

I wont go in the ground to Mem Day based on the current weather....  crappy up here lately

Ironically changed out all the dirt this year - going with Pine Island Black dirt.... lets see if it is all it is cracked up to be  :)

13 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I wont go in the ground to Mem Day based on the current weather....  crappy up here lately

Ironically changed out all the dirt this year - going with Pine Island Black dirt.... lets see if it is all it is cracked up to be  :)

Im in search of some good soil for my beds this week and next, any suggestions around here?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Yeah, it's a risk but our plants are outgrowing their starter  bins, so not much of a choice.   We shouldn't see a frost.   We can always start over.

I bought 2 yards of top soil from Kattner and it's pretty dark and loamy.   Probably lots of dung in there.    We planted in the beds with their own little ball of miracle grow packed around the plants.  Hopefully that does the trick.

The weather does indeed suck.  Cold and wet. ugh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Im in search of some good soil for my beds this week and next, any suggestions around here?

I've been happy with topsoil and mulch from Kirk Allen Trucking in Stanhope.  Delivery free with 5 yards, as I recall, and you may find a discount coupon online

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Pine Island Black dirt....

That's the darkest soil I've ever seen. I use to ride my bike up there was was always in awe of the soil color and how flat the area is. That and the stench of rotting red onions.

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

I am just south of the BLack Dirt Region in Pine ISland NY - that dirt suppsoedly is very choice - trying it this year

13 minutes ago, WP22 said:

That's the darkest soil I've ever seen. I use to ride my bike up there was was always in awe of the soil color and how flat the area is. That and the stench of rotting red onions.

100% - Pulaski Highway - yep it waffs into our area of Jersey - that whole area was the bottom of a large glacier lake - All of Vernon was as well - I have found rocks split in the yard that had seashell type fossil impressions and I am 780 FT ASL and like 300 plus feet aobve the valley floor

23 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Yeah, it's a risk but our plants are outgrowing their starter  bins, so not much of a choice.   We shouldn't see a frost.

Hoop tents.  Cheap and easy to make.  Thin flexible PVC or tent rods, and painter's drop cloths.  You can scale it to just about any size you need.  Another simple trick, if you don't have too many seedlings, cut the bottom off a clear(ish) soda bottle and put over seedling.

hoop-house-fix.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Hoop tents.  Cheap and easy to make.  Thin flexible PVC or tent rods, and painter's drop cloths.  You can scale it to just about any size you need.  Another simple trick, if you don't have too many seedlings, cut the bottom off a clear(ish) soda bottle and put over seedling.

hoop-house-fix.jpg

We've got plastic ready and some bottles on some smaller ones now for those plants that can't take it.  The Melons are covered but stick tents at the moment.

The carrots and beets aren't really bothered unless you get super cold and there's no way we're getting back into the mid-20s.   We might flirt with 32, but I doubt even that.  They are still mostly in the ground, so no worries.

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I have found rocks split in the yard that had seashell type fossil impressions and I am 780 FT ASL and like 300 plus feet aobve the valley floor

It was a geologist that found sea fossils in rocks on the Swiss Alps that discovered tectonic plates, shifting and subduction.  You discovered the same thing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

What kinda trap is this!!

Guns, gardening, self sufficiency.  What's not to love?  Think of yourself as Jeremiah Johnson cept all that pesky ole finding some women in a hut out in the middle of the rocky mountains.

• Haha 3
  • FacePalm 1

23 hours ago, 10X said:

I've been happy with topsoil and mulch from Kirk Allen Trucking in Stanhope.  Delivery free with 5 yards, as I recall, and you may find a discount coupon online

Last time I called them for a couple cords of firewood i shit a brick with the price. I usually use Mulch Concepts but seem to keep catching them a day or 2 after they run out. "call back next week"

Weather is a bit... depressing. My fast growing plants(green beans, cucumbers, zucchini are all growing nicely, most are in 3 or 5 gallon plastic pots for now... The ones in fabric pots might even stay in them.. Over the years i learned to have back up plan for a cold MAY. Smaller stuff is in solo cups for now... but everything needs to go out by 2 weeks. I've never had good success if the plants got root bound inside prior to planting, always looked thin all summer.. some didn't even survive the transplant.