rifleman

home gardening?

6 minutes ago, carl_g said:

I can’t grow grass for shit.... I am going to try and grow my own sod inside and then transplant it to patch my lawn. Every time I try to grow grass I fail miserably.. :(

Have you ever or when is the last time you Limed yer yard?

Always good to do twice a year. Its all I do, No fertilizer, nuthin. Just lime twice a year. dont matter if ya use pellets or powdered granular.

58 minutes ago, carl_g said:

I can’t grow grass for shit.... I am going to try and grow my own sod inside and then transplant it to patch my lawn. Every time I try to grow grass I fail miserably.. :(

Last year I put in my raised beds for my garden. I transplanted all the sod from where I put the beds to a bare spot. It worked great

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

Get the Scotts app on your phone. 

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

I transplanted all the sod from where I put the beds to a bare spot. It worked great

I do that when I weed beds.  For some strange reason, grass grows best in flower beds.  Anyway, if the ground is moist, I'll stomp the clumps into bare spots in the lawn.  Recycling, and all that.

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I do that when I weed beds.  For some strange reason, grass grows best in flower beds.  Anyway, if the ground is moist, I'll stomp the clumps into bare spots in the lawn.  Recycling, and all that.

I weed with a propane torch but thats a good idea 

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Here are two of my beds...covered in snow.  Currently 27 degrees, May 9 and snow.  Oof.

Beets and carrots are fine.  The rest?  Might be starting over. 

may-snow-sm.jpg

Heaven hill has stock from what i hear...if you have to start over....

1 minute ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Heaven hill has stock from what i hear...if you have to start over....

We went to Heaven Hill a couple weeks ago and got some herbs.    $8 for two little Basil 3 inch tall plants.   We generally grow our veggies from seed, but we buy the herbs and the only reason we stopped in an Heaven Hill was she wanted something we couldn't find at Pennings.  We bought 4 plants for $6.50 at Pennings.  There's a reason we always drive past Heaven Hill.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Here are two of my beds...covered in snow

Do I also see that the beds are covered in plastic?  If they are properly covered, there is a pretty good chance the seedlings will walk it off.  The ground temp is probably around 55 deg, that may be enough to keep them alive.

7 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Do I also see that the beds are covered in plastic?  If they are properly covered, there is a pretty good chance the seedlings will walk it off.  The ground temp is probably around 55 deg, that may be enough to keep them alive.

Yeah, everything is covered.   It dipped down to 26 now, but I figured it'll be up over freezing pretty soon.

I think I may need to divide and start moving to individual conrainers.

Spent some time after I was able to log off from work pulling weeds and cleaning up the garden.  I was also looking at different ideas for building a trellis to grow the cucumbers up instead of sprawling all over my small yard.

Screenshot_20200514-225200.jpg

@gleninjersey ---This year, I'm going to link my (2) 4'x8' raised beds with arched cattle panel trellises. I too was looking at trellis options, when I came across this particular idea on YouTube. There are many videos; this one attached is a good how-to. What a super-affordable way to go vertical with all of your vining-type plants, squeezing the most production out of your garden space! And honestly, I just think they look quite attractive, too. I'll be using them for indeterminate tomatoes and cucumbers, but I'm also kicking around the possibility of some mini-melons....

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

@gleninjersey ---This year, I'm going to link my (2) 4'x8' raised beds with arched cattle panel trellises. I too was looking at trellis options, when I came across this particular idea on YouTube. There are many videos; this one attached is a good how-to. What a super-affordable way to go vertical with all of your vining-type plants, squeezing the most production out of your garden space! And honestly, I just think they look quite attractive, too. I'll be using them for indeterminate tomatoes and cucumbers, but I'm also kicking around the possibility of some mini-melons....

The single biggest mistake I see first time gardeners making and the one I make every single year is to plant way to many plants for the space they have. Overcrowding will,  inevitably, create conditions for disease to spread.  Air flow, air flow, air flow.

That little tomato plant will grow over 6 ft tall, cuckes, squashes, melons, pumpkins will sprawl into every available inch of space. Pole beans will grow as tall as the trellis where they hang.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I think I may need to divide and start moving to individual conrainers.

Spent some time after I was able to log off from work pulling weeds and cleaning up the garden.  I was also looking at different ideas for building a trellis to grow the cucumbers up instead of sprawling all over my small yard.

Screenshot_20200514-225200.jpg

In the past, I made vertical frames -- 6' fence posts with steel fencing. I grew cucumbers on them, and even managed to grow vine-ripened cantaloupe (that I suspended the fruit with canvas strips so they wouldn't break loose from their own weight). Unfortunately I'm down to just tomatoes, peppers and zucchinis now because the trees have grown, shadowing the gardens.

A bigger problem than the trees has been the deer recently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WP22 said:

The single biggest mistake I see first time gardeners making and the one I make every single year is to plant way to many plants for the space they have. Overcrowding will,  inevitably, create conditions for disease to spread.  Air flow, air flow, air flow.

Totally agree. There's a reason that the directions recommend the spacing that they do. Another problem though is people just not reading the directions (on the plant tag or seed packet). There's literally a HUGE difference between a small tomato variety specially bred for containers, a bush-type tomato that could still grow taller than a person, and an indeterminate type that under the right conditions will grow and grow and grow all season long. I learned that lesson the hard way the first year I planted, lol. I had one indeterminate tomato vine... I named him Goliath... that simply took over my entire bed and even part of the lawn (though I had admitted defeat by mid-season and just gave up). I'm a little better now, but still far from a great vegetable gardener. Baby steps!

My garden report: Everything made it through the big freeze!  So as not to jinx it, I'll add a qualifier.  So Far :)

It was down to 26.8 degrees Saturday AM and flirted with 32 a few days this week.

We tarped everything so they were snug as a bug in a rug and so far so good.

We have peas popping up today.  My wife is checking every hour and there's a new one.

Good thing these plants die off every year or they would have the world choked off by now.  Holy crap are they moving!