rifleman

home gardening?

3 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

From what I've read it's a cross pollination of some heirloom (fancy) tomatoes.  My boys got 3 different ones.  They got Big Zac, Biltmore, and mountain magic.  The big Zac's apparently produce tomatoes that are 4-5lb. Further reading says they average about 2lbs each. Still a big mater! Lol. 

Holy chit!

I purchased an 18 pot seed starter to transfer my seedlings.  The pots (flimsy plastic hokders) have holes in the bottom.  You full the tray with water and it's aborbered from the bottom by the roots.

Will transplant everything tomorrow.  I purchased some seed starting soil to give them a good start.  Hopefully in 2-3 weeks they'll be ready to go in the garden.  The seedlings are still only a few inches tall and not ready for the garden yet.  Hopefully they take off once they are transplanted into some good soil.

Screenshot_20200527-210132.jpg

9 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Dave "The Tomatoe Guy" blog.  How to grow lots of tomatoes easily.  Looks like he knows a thing or two on the subject.  :)

https://growtomatoeseasily.blogspot.com/2017/01/grow-tomatoes-easily-introduction.html

FYI, my dad used to make his tomato cages the same way as this guy! - Concrete reinforcing wire wrapped into a cylinder shape. They worked great, were inexpensive, and were in use for many years.

2 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I will probably be picking green beans this weekend and maybe even a zucchini. 

Cucumbers are coming in now, might have a few in a couple weeks to pull. Already grabbed some fresh basil. 

Everything else is still maturing.

Damn! You're harvesting already? You got quite the head start.

• Like 1

Started early April under an LED light indoors, that's basically 40 day head start. Most plants produce in 60 days. They exploded over the past week and half outside. I had Greenbeans before I even transplanted, and both zucchini plants were flowering. The fact I put them in sizable pots under light gets me an extra harvest In the season. My next house will have a dedicated greenhouse, or at east a spot for one. Right now I'm on a hill with garden boxes. 

Gardening is a relaxing activity for me.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I will probably be picking green beans this weekend and maybe even a zucchini. 

Cucumbers are coming in now, might have a few in a couple weeks to pull. Already grabbed some fresh basil. 

Everything else is still maturing.

Damn.  Impressive.  I'm goint to have to start MUCH earlier next year.  Congrats!

This dude is from NJ (Toms River area).  I watched a few of his videos and he seems pretty knowledgeable.  He has a TON of videos (7 years worth) about gardening.  Since he's local to the area I thought some people, myself included, may find some helpful hints.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePermaculturGarden/featured

12 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Started early April under an LED light indoors, that's basically 40 day head start. Most plants produce in 60 days. They exploded over the past week and half outside. I had Greenbeans before I even transplanted, and both zucchini plants were flowering. The fact I put them in sizable pots under light gets me an extra harvest In the season. My next house will have a dedicated greenhouse, or at east a spot for one. Right now I'm on a hill with garden boxes. 

Gardening is a relaxing activity for me.

Tell me more about what light you use and do you have any pics of your setup? I'd like to get an earlier start because my season is so short up here. 

@Mrs. Peel I'll have to give the concrete reinforcing wire idea a try!  I grew tomatoes a few years ago.  Had some of the tomatoe cages you guy from Home Depot.  The plants were too heavy (partly because I never really pruned them) and toppled the flimsy cages over!  Seems like the concrete wire will be a lot sturdier.

I like the idea of putting up cattle panel trellises like in the video you shared but I honestly don't I'm that motivated (and I don't have a huge yard).  Bending some concrete reinforcing wire into a cone or circular shape sounds A LOT easier.  :)

25 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Tell me more about what light you use and do you have any pics of your setup? I'd like to get an earlier start because my season is so short up here. 

The light is a viparspecra 600, I think it runs at 300watts though. It's covers a 4x4 area pretty well when plants are small. I use a Vivosun tent off amazon, it doubles as a spray painting and cerakote booth. Both items store easily too when not in use.

• Thanks 1

Transplanted to larger single pot containers.  I put the seed starting container I used to start the seeds on top of the new containers for a size comparison.

I wasn't able to use all the seedlings.  Honestly I'll probably give a few of the small plants away once they grow.  I think I have something like 8 tomatoes and 6 cucumbers growing.  Assuming they all thrive I only need bout half of that. 

I hope they grow quick now that they are in gardening seed starting soil.  Would like to get them in the ground in next 2-3 weeks.

20200530_174623.jpg

I tilled and amended my raised beds this weekend and will be planting potatoes today, the rest of the seeds have been started, I put them out on the deck during the day but bring them in when its to cold like last night. Another week or two and I should be out of frost danger. 

1 hour ago, AlDente67 said:

Does anyone really know how long Roundup remains active?  It certainly does the job, but many say it wears off after a day or two.  I dont believe it.  If I use it near the beds, I am afraid they will be barren for weeks.

They won't be barren.   It's not active in the soil, and it breaks down quickly.  It only kills plants that are up at the time of spraying--it has to hit a leaf in order to work.   Plants that sprout after application won't be affected.   It's used that way on a gazillion acres of no-till crops, where there is serious cash on the line for the farmers, and planting a couple of days after spraying is the norm.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, 10X said:

They won't be barren.   It's not active in the soil, and it breaks down quickly.  It only kills plants that are up at the time of spraying--it has to hit a leaf in order to work.   Plants that sprout after application won't be affected.   It's used that way on a gazillion acres of no-till crops, where there is serious cash on the line for the farmers, and planting a couple of days after spraying is the norm.

Thanks.  I only ask because i used it in spray bottle form on some weeds in a pebble area, and then the grass 5 feet away all died within a week.  Seemed as though it leached down the the very slight slope from one area to the the borders.  It wasn't applied in hose blast format, just a few squirts on the weeds themselves several feet away.

1 hour ago, AlDente67 said:

Thanks.  I only ask because i used it in spray bottle form on some weeds in a pebble area, and then the grass 5 feet away all died within a week.  Seemed as though it leached down the the very slight slope from one area to the the borders.  It wasn't applied in hose blast format, just a few squirts on the weeds themselves several feet away.

Probably overspray blown by wind

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Ugh, was doing so well... I've been fighting off a cucumber beetle infestation all week.. Never had an issue with them before. 

I had so many problems with them and did not want to use pesticides i ended up not growing cucumbers, zucchini and squash for 2 years. Good luck man your gonna need it. 

25 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Glock 19.

Glock 18. Its an infestation only full auto will work 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

I had so many problems with them and did not want to use pesticides i ended up not growing cucumbers, zucchini and squash for 2 years. Good luck man your gonna need it. 

Glock 18. Its an infestation only full auto will work 

Im using neem oil right now, will see if it gets rid of them. They already went to town on a few cucumbers and nearly decimated my biggest vine. I caught them early, and they were really only infested on 2 of the 8 plants they will eat. Neem oil is pretty safe and effective, will see how it works out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Im using neem oil right now, will see if it gets rid of them. They already went to town on a few cucumbers and nearly decimated my biggest vine. I caught them early, and they were really only infested on 2 of the 8 plants they will eat. Neem oil is pretty safe and effective, will see how it works out. 

I tried neem oil and essential oils as well as preying mantis and planted magagolds around the cucumbers. I was also knocking them off the plants into a small cup of gasoline or another solvent to try and nock the population down. Nothing worked for me.  I had both striped and spotted cucumber beetles. If you dont get them under control forget growing any plants they eat next year the eggs survive in the soil over winter. Sucks man I feel your pain! 

14 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I tried neem oil and essential oils as well as preying mantis and planted magagolds around the cucumbers. I was also knocking them off the plants into a small cup of gasoline or another solvent to try and nock the population down. Nothing worked for me.  I had both striped and spotted cucumber beetles. If you dont get them under control forget growing any plants they eat next year the eggs survive in the soil over winter. Sucks man I feel your pain! 

Thats really depressing to hear because my cucumbers are my pride and joy lol. 

Did you apply neem oil to the soil? the plants supposedly absorb it and will kill anything that eat them. 

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Thats really depressing to hear because my cucumbers are my pride and joy lol. 

Did you apply neem oil to the soil? the plants supposedly absorb it and will kill anything that eat them. 

Plants and soil with effect on the bastards. If I get them again I'm trying this