rifleman

home gardening?

On 6/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, JackDaWack said:

Thats really depressing to hear because my cucumbers are my pride and joy lol. 

Did you apply neem oil to the soil? the plants supposedly absorb it and will kill anything that eat them. 

How's the cucumber beetle battle?

As for my garden, potatoes are up and I have mounded them twice already. Lettuce and spinich are coming in well but it's been really hot up here so its probably going to bolt on me quick. Cucumbers, butternut squash, and carrots are all up and doing well. Ill be buying my tomato plants and some herbs tomorrow 

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

How's the cucumber beetle battle?

Seemed to knock them out so far. I hit them every other day with neem oil, and I'm on a 7 day reapplication. A lot of the damage growth died, but their recovering nicely with new shoots.

My spinach bolted on me, I have new seedlings going in next week. Almost over night they flowered and just took off. I think I need to get them more shade 

• Like 2

Nothing fancy. Most of it I bought it at shoprite. A friend gave me 1/2 dozen cloves she got at the Sussex garlic festival. Other then growing scapes, which are great stir fried, I didn't see any difference in head size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Ahh, thats right! they just sprout from the cloves. Maybe i'll just pull some from the fridge and see if i can get them to sprout. 

They probably would.  But fall is the right time to plant them. Mulch them and they'll over winter just fine. Harvest by the end of June or when the first couple of row of leaves die.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Two beef steak tomatoe plants and two cucumber plants are in the earth.

All were grown from seed and the tomatoes plants are now at least 10 inches tall.  I planted them at least five inches into the soil after removing any any limbs that would be too low.  I had been pruning every few weeks so there was not  much to remove.

The cucumber plants I removed any flowers towards the bottom and low limbs as well.  Those were planted 3-5 inches into the soil.

How many tomatoes and cucumbers plants do you all generally have? I still have 7 tomatoe and one cucumber plant in containers. 

I'm thinking of planting two more tomatoe plants, the last cucumber and giving remaining 5 tomatoe plants away.  4 tomatoes plants and 3 cucumber plants I think would be plenty for the four of us.

I want to add in some zucchini or eggplant for the fall.

So I have been at our house in Florida since the 19th of June.  We got back YESTERDAY at around noon and two of our trays of lettuce were destroyed.

ALL of it was eaten down to the base.  It was just ready to to harvest too.

Roughly 2.5 hours before we got home this rodent decided it was his lettuce.  Little shit!

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Malsua said:

Roughly 2.5 hours before we got home this rodent decided it was his lettuce.  Little shit!

Ya know, a .22 short fired from a bolt action rifle is really quiet.  Just sayin...

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, 10X said:

Ya know, a .22 short fired from a bolt action rifle is really quiet.  Just sayin...

First time I've seen that one and I was 150 miles away at the time ;)

CB cabs are really quiet too.  I did a video on that some time ago.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

30 minutes ago, Malsua said:

First time I've seen that one and I was 150 miles away at the time ;)

CB cabs are really quiet too.  I did a video on that some time ago.

But unless a dead in head shot...they don't die right away.....the get wounded and die from infection.....you need at a min a LONG....

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

But unless a dead in head shot...they don't die right away.....the get wounded and die from infection.....you need at a min a LONG....

I think the .300 Weatherby is the best.   Ole Painless.    You might hear it from your house though.

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:19 AM, Malsua said:

So I have been at our house in Florida since the 19th of June.  We got back YESTERDAY at around noon and two of our trays of lettuce were destroyed.

ALL of it was eaten down to the base.  It was just ready to to harvest too.

My dog took care of that problem for me! He took out the entire family in a 4 week period. 

My biggest issue has now been the damn June bugs, Japanese beetles. 

13 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Can we even use that term anymore?

My ancient neighbor(long dead) called them Tojo beetles.    Probably old enough no one would even know why that might be offensive.   After all, all these protestors are ignorant of history before they were born. 

From Wikipedia 2050

Hideki Tojo[a] (December 30, 1884 – December 23, 1948) was a Japanese politician and general of the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) who served as Prime Minister of Japan and President of the Imperial Rule Assistance Association for most of World War II. Before becoming Japan's head of government, Tojo was among the most outspoken proponents for preventive war against the United States prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  His primary concerns were to overthrow the racist white Americans and to free the BIPOCs living in chattel slavery.  He wanted to be the champion for the downtrodden of the US until the imperial war monger Truman slaughtered hundreds of millions in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Malsua said:

My ancient neighbor(long dead) called them Tojo beetles.    Probably old enough no one would even know why that might be offensive.   After all, all these protestors are ignorant of history before they were born. 

From Wikipedia 2050

I got married december 6 1992, my grandfather crusty old Sicilian that was in the nat guard, never deployed but was on some kinda beach sub lookout thing around island beach state park - the family owned the old Marianas apartments in Seaside .....

He mis-heard the date - " you can't get married that day, you know what those fucking japs did to us???"

Priceless....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I got married december 6 1992, my grandfather crusty old Sicilian that was in the nat guard, never deployed but was on some kinda beach sub lookout thing around island beach state park - the family owned the old Marianas apartments in Seaside .....

He mis-heard the date - " you can't get married that day, you know what those fucking japs did to us???"

Priceless....

Old people say the darnedest things.    Of course now those same imperialist Asians make some of the best stuff :) .    

• Haha 1

My garden is going strong, I finally started harvesting cucumbers last week, lettuace is still going strong despite all the warm weather we had up here in july. Butternut squash is flowering. My first round of early finishing potatoes are almost ready. Tomatoes are currently orange. Mint, rosemary, thyme, oregano, Italian basil, Thai basil and flat parsley are all huge. Sweet potato vine is almost 10' long and the carrots are all doing really well. To top it off I've had a bumper crop of raspberries, black berrys and low bush blueberrys that are all wild on my property. 

The only issue I've had is a monster (400lb+) black bear has been eating allot of berrys and leaving massive shits in my yard. The 14lb daschund ran him out of the back yard the night before last while the 50lb Vizsla and 60lb rotti/coonhound mix hid on the deck. Talk about napoleon syndrome. 

• Haha 1

I’ve had a ton of cukes. Tomatoes are coming along but not quite ready. Peppers have been underwhelming. Beans and zucchini didn’t make it. Had a ton of blackberries and strawberries, I think, but the birds or something always beats me to them.  

Adding an outdoor water feature to your garden area can give your home a whole new look and feel. There are water features that will fit any size area and installation limitations with which you may be faced. It may be a modest or prominent outdoor water feature but either will add a whole new dimension to the space and although moving water might be needed for some outdoor water landscape designs, it's not required in all instances.