rifleman

home gardening?

On 7/12/2022 at 5:47 PM, CJack said:

I want to find other varieties of root vegetables that are zero maintenance and come year over year.

What do you have that is low to no maintenance that you like ?

I'm not sure that carrots come back up year over year but I've heard that they can grow into VERY cold times of the year.  Start now or even later and pull then up in December or January?  And I've heard they get sweeter longer in the ground.  Will let you know.

Made up four large jars of "bread & butter" pickles this evening.  Put them in the back of the fridge to age for the next three weeks or so.

Super easy to make.  White Vinegar (5% acidity), sugar and Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix.  Combine all those, boil, add to sliced cucumbers, let cool, can and enjoy!

The Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix has all the spices mixed together already!

I just did the "enjoy now" (3 month shelf life in fridge) for now but will be trying longer storage hot water canning with the next haul of cucs.

https://www.ballmasonjars.com/blog?cid=breadandbutterpickles

"Bread and butter" pickles are delicious.  1.5 jars already gone.

Going to pickle some Greek Pepperoncinis and regular bell peppers soon.

Made some eggplant parm a few weeks ago.  Was awesome.

Tomatoes Finally started ripening up.  Have had a few on salads and on sandwiches.  Very tasty.

Carrots are almost ready to be pulled up as well as the beets.  Still have more tomatoes ripening, bell peppers growing and eggplants growing.

Lots of lessons learned this first year of taking gardening seriously.  Already starting to think about next season and how I will make improvements.

My seed starting was a bust this year.  Neer got around to it.  Slightly disappointing.

Purchased some gardening soil and composted cow manure on Sunday to top of my beds. Worked it into the existing garden soil.

This evening right after work threw in starter veggie plants from Home Depot.  Four bell pepper,one banana pepper, three different tomato plants and two eggplants.

Will be starting cucumbers, beets, lettuce and maybe beans from seed in next few days.  Going to try potatoes and some herbs this year as well.

What's everyone else growing?

Screenshot_20230516-213350_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230516-213412_Photos.jpg

We constructed a new raised bed for my wife for Mothers Day (at her request).  The old one was overgrown and too shaded by a tree that she didn't want me to cut down.  She put in cherry tomatoes, string beans, sugar snap peas, some various peppers, cukes and chives.  Hopefully she'll maintain it, unlike past years.  :rolleyes:

• Agree 1