bbk

Hello from Central NJ

Hello everybody, the name is Ben. Had the opportunity to serve with the US Army for the past few years, having spent most of my garrison time in Colorado. Since then, opted to come home and progress with the rest of my life.

Never touched a firearm until Basic, when all romanticized notions were replaced with reality. I find shooting to be therapeutic, and possession to be an absolute when it comes to security. Fortunately, I was able to survive the gauntlet the state sets forth, and purchased my first firearm no more then a day or two ago (6 May) from Cheyenne Mtn Outfitters. Now I'm a more then satisfied owner of a Springfield Armory XD .40SW SC.

It is good to see an active forum run by, and dedicated for NJ owners. Streamlining information is always paramount.

This question may seem out of place, but what ranges in the central NJ area are worth looking in to? I've been to Shore Shots in Lakewood, and enjoyed it there. However, I don't want to pigeonhole myself. I've read good things about BA, but anywhere else? Also, has anybody had any first-hand experience/membership with the Citizens Range and Recreation Club (Private range) in West Windsor? http://www.crrc.org/crrc.htm

Hello again, good to be a part of the community.

[Edited for formatting]

Welcome neighbor... really...

BA is good range, perhaps the best public range, though most will agree, also one of the most expensive to buy stuff at.

Central jersey is without a doubt the premier range, however a bit costly.

citizens is a good range for the value, however it is an old bullseye club, and they are basicly paralyzed by West windsor township. i am still considering if I want to pay the last $150 to be a member there.

The process to become a member is a pain, second worst to perhaps only Old Bridge. the facilities are not terrible. 2 25 yard indoor ranges. not capable of rifle, or magnums of any kind. they enforce a policy of single shot rifles only, no more than 5 rounds in a magazine.

Club is almost always empty. they do have a trap range for shotguns. Outdoor there is a single 100 meter rifle range (you are shooting through a concrete pipe), and the rest is 50 yard outdoor pistol/rifle range. 40 ports or so.

It is very convenient location wise, but not the greatest facility. $200 up front, $150 annual dues. 24/7 indoor range use. outdoor there is a restriction on days and hours you can shoot as per the settlement with West windsor township.

btw, how did you find this forum?

I pass through East Windsor daily (attending classes at MCCC), so, neighbors indeed.

I've looked into Central Jersey club, and their facilities look absolutely amazing and up to speed, but I honestly don't have the type of money to fork out at this point. I'll probably make a stop by BA sometime next week to finally fire my XD40, so, should be able to make my own assessment from that. And regarding citizens, the only reason why I asked is because its location (five minute drive), but I honestly didn't get the best impression from the process req to join. I'll probably still stop by their facilities, and see things for myself though.

I saw this site when I was browsing the FireArmsTalk.com forum, trying to get some information on my XD. Glad I found it.

Welcome.

If affordability is what you need check out Fort Dix. $60/yr to join and $3/hr for each shooter. They have a 200 yd rifle range, 50 yd pistol and a trap range, I ran the gammit of clubs years ago and it was by far the most affordable with no required match shooting or mandatory work details. Just what I needed.

I joined Brick Armory this year for the convenience of indoor shooting during bad weather.

Welcome.

If affordability is what you need check out Fort Dix. $60/yr to join and $3/hr for each shooter. They have a 200 yd rifle range, 50 yd pistol and a trap range, I ran the gammit of clubs years ago and it was by far the most affordable with no required match shooting or mandatory work details. Just what I needed.

I joined Brick Armory this year for the convenience of indoor shooting during bad weather.

+1 on Ft. Dix. I highly recomend it there also, and if you have your retired military card the price drops by half! $30 /year. Here's a link if you want to check it out...http://www.dixmwr.com/Recreation%20_Fac ... s_Home.htm

Shooting paper for me gets a little boring after a little while, Ft. Dix allows shooting of cans / clay pigeons / ect. as long as its not glass and a .22 will go thru it you are good to go.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for serving our country! :p

I pass through East Windsor daily (attending classes at MCCC), so, neighbors indeed.

I've looked into Central Jersey club, and their facilities look absolutely amazing and up to speed, but I honestly don't have the type of money to fork out at this point. I'll probably make a stop by BA sometime next week to finally fire my XD40, so, should be able to make my own assessment from that. And regarding citizens, the only reason why I asked is because its location (five minute drive), but I honestly didn't get the best impression from the process req to join. I'll probably still stop by their facilities, and see things for myself though.

I saw this site when I was browsing the FireArmsTalk.com forum, trying to get some information on my XD. Glad I found it.

I've been a member of Citizens for a few years now. It is an old club and somewhat limited by the local laws. Too true. The good part is that the indoor ranges (non-magnum handguns & .22 rifles)are available 24/7 unless there's a match or kid's program running. We have several evening leagues and shoot in http://www.USRA1.org postal league. We have a large number of classes on basic & advanced pistol & rifle and archery, including black powder. We have the "CCW Caravan" visiting a couple times a year to get your Florida (and others) CCW ticket. We just had a couple of open houses for the public and put on an annual "Women's Day at the Range" and the nation's first "Teachers' Day at the Range". We run the CMP (used to be DCM) youth rifle program the first ten weeks of the year and have a junior rifle team that's sponsord by the Princeton Police Department.

Shooting your CF rifle 100 yards through a tube isn't ideal, but beats not shooting it at all. We also cooperate with most of the other local ranges, encouraging their programs and they, ours.