45Doll

Sanitizing and Reusing Masks

Back in mid-Feb. I decided to research and educate myself on the differences of the various disposable respirator masks, with the intention on purchasing some for us.  As many of us discovered, the recommended N95 face masks had already been sold out on Amazon and other retailers.  Upon further research and online searching, I decided to purchase a number of 3M P95 Particulate Respirators, (Model 8577).  It is a universally-sized, molded, disposable latex-free, respirator with an exhalation valve and nose clip and dual head strap.  I learned that compared to N95 respirator masks, the P95 masks have a broader spectrum of protection that surpasses that of N95 masks, to include oily-based particles.  Also, as an added benefit, the P95 masks have a rated 40-hour service life, as opposed to only and 8-hour rating for the N95 masks.

Amazon was already sold out of the P95’s, but I was able to find them on eBay.  They ordinarily sell for $9.00 for a 2-pack.  Of course, the sellers had already started to greedily mark up the price.  I ended up paying $24.00/each for two 2-packs.  Now, it is almost impossible to find these respirators anywhere for any remotely reasonable price.

Now in mid-April in NJ, we are required by State mandate to wear some form of protective face masks when we are going grocery shopping.  It is also strongly recommended by healthcare experts that people wear face masks when they go to other places where other people will be congregating.  So the whole face mask issue of material type, filtration, re-usability and disinfection, has now become important topics.

As has been stated earlier, due to the acute shortages and unavailability of new replacement N95/P95 face masks, those of us who have a small number of them are forced to re-use these protective face masks.  Therefore, figuring out the best way to disinfect these N95 and P95 face masks is very important in order to prolong their usability and filtering effectiveness, while also regularly disinfecting any pathogens that may have landed on them. 

After discussing various face mask disinfecting/sterilizing approaches and options with my regular medical doctor and my dentist, their consensus was that using ultra violet light, specifically Ultra Violet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI), was the most effective method to kill germs and bacteria, including the COVID-19 pathogen.  They recommended this method because it was also considered to be the least detrimental method that would diminish the protective filtration quality of the mask, in its task of preventing penetration of the harmful particles in the air.  They cautioned that while this method is not perfect, in that repeated use of this method of exposure to the UVGI will very slightly degrade the filtering quality against aerosol penetration.  But they said that it was far better than using 70% isopropyl alcohol or soap & water, since those methods would seriously reduce the masks effectiveness and longevity.

To verify their opinion, both doctors referred me to a published report on a study that was performed in January 2016 by the National Institute of Health, titled: “Effects of Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) on N95 Respirator Filtration Performance and Structural Integrity”.  If you are interested in reading this document it can be found online in the archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. NIH, National Library of Medicine’s (NLM), PubMed Central (PMC).  Here is a general link:
https://search.nih.gov/search?utf8=✓&affiliate=nih&query=UVGI&commit=Search

My dentist also had referred me to a disinfecting device that his patients who have Sleep Apnea and use CPAP machines to help them get a good night’s sleep, in addition to not snoring.  The device is the 3B Medical Lumin CPAP Mask and Accessories Cleaner.  That device, the size of a large toaster oven with a large drawer, is used on a regular basis to disinfect CPAP face masks, water reservoirs and hoses, by using ultra violet light.  It uses a strong UV light to kill 99% of bacteria, pathogens and fungi present on items placed inside the device.  He said I can use that same device to also effectively disinfect and sterilize our P95 face masks, as well as our cell phones.  I purchased this device and now I put the mask into the drawer, face up and start the automatic timed disinfecting process of the entire outside surface of the mask.  Once finished, I turn the mask over 180 degs. and start the process again, in order to disinfect the inside surfaces as well.  I do the same for our cell phones. Here is a link to that device:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/3B-medical-lumin-uv-cpap-sanitizer

So far, using these face masks (respirators) and UVGI disinfecting method with this device has been working well for us and we will continue to use them as long as necessary.

AVB-AMG

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

UV is great.

I'm using one of these and several similar at work:   600 watts per inch.  It will destroy everything living.  I have some with lesser intensity for paper products, like money.   

Also, keep in mind, 170 degrees in an oven for 30 minutes will also work.

30 minutes ago, Jackruf said:

Is anyone using UV-C as a means of sanitizing groceries and produce?

It would be too damaging.

Wash everything that is durable, like soda bottles, and whatnot with soapy water.   Wipe down meat packages or remove and place in zips.

Quarantine boxes for 24 hours(minimum) or take the product out of the bag like cereals.

Wash fruits and veggies in a colander. 

There is little evidence that people are getting sick from this method of transmission but I don't want to be the first, so this is how I handle it.

Gloves in the store and bags of groceries in the trunk.  Gloves off before getting in the passenger compartment.    Gloves back on before hauling into the house and dumping out the bags or putting certain bags into 24 quarantine.

Everything gets washed that can be washed.   Dispose of bags and gloves.

Practice glove hygiene with shaving cream.  Have someone dispense on your gloves while you are wearing them.  Simulate getting bags from the car, getting everything removed from bags and get the gloves off without bits of shaving cream all over the place.  It isn't easy and it takes some practice.

3 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

Back in mid-Feb. I decided to research and educate myself on the differences of the various disposable respirator masks, with the intention on purchasing some for us.  As many of us discovered, the recommended N95 face masks had already been sold out on Amazon and other retailers.  Upon further research and online searching, I decided to purchase a number of 3M P95 Particulate Respirators, (Model 8577).  It is a universally-sized, molded, disposable latex-free, respirator with an exhalation valve and nose clip and dual head strap.  I learned that compared to N95 respirator masks, the P95 masks have a broader spectrum of protection that surpasses that of N95 masks, to include oily-based particles.  Also, as an added benefit, the P95 masks have a rated 40-hour service life, as opposed to only and 8-hour rating for the N95 masks.  

Amazon was already sold out of the P95’s, but I was able to find them on eBay.  They ordinarily sell for $9.00 for a 2-pack.  Of course, the sellers had already started to greedily mark up the price.  I ended up paying $24.00/each for two 2-packs.  Now, it is almost impossible to find these respirators anywhere for any remotely reasonable price.  

Now in mid-April in NJ, we are required by State mandate to wear some form of protective face masks when we are going grocery shopping.  It is also strongly recommended by healthcare experts that people wear face masks when they go to other places where other people will be congregating.  So the whole face mask issue of material type, filtration, re-usability and disinfection, has now become important topics.

As has been stated earlier, due to the acute shortages and unavailability of new replacement N95/P95 face masks, those of us who have a small number of them are forced to re-use these protective face masks.  Therefore, figuring out the best way to disinfect these N95 and P95 face masks is very important in order to prolong their usability and filtering effectiveness, while also regularly disinfecting any pathogens that may have landed on them. 

After discussing various face mask disinfecting/sterilizing approaches and options with my regular medical doctor and my dentist, their consensus was that using ultra violet light, specifically Ultra Violet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI), was the most effective method to kill germs and bacteria, including the COVID-19 pathogen.  They recommended this method because it was also considered to be the least detrimental method that would diminish the protective filtration quality of the mask, in its task of preventing penetration of the harmful particles in the air.  They cautioned that while this method is not perfect, in that repeated use of this method of exposure to the UVGI will very slightly degrade the filtering quality against aerosol penetration.  But they said that it was far better than using 70% isopropyl alcohol or soap & water, since those methods would seriously reduce the masks effectiveness and longevity.

To verify their opinion, both doctors referred me to a published report on a study that was performed in January 2016 by the National Institute of Health, titled: “Effects of Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) on N95 Respirator Filtration Performance and Structural Integrity”.  If you are interested in reading this document it can be found online in the archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. NIH, National Library of Medicine’s (NLM), PubMed Central (PMC).  Here is a general link:
https://search.nih.gov/search?utf8=✓&affiliate=nih&query=UVGI&commit=Search

My dentist also had referred me to a disinfecting device that his patients who have Sleep Apnea and use CPAP machines to help them get a good night’s sleep.  The device is the 3B Medical Lumin CPAP Mask and Accessories Cleaner.  That device, the size of a large toaster oven with a large drawer, is used on a regular basis to disinfect CPAP face masks, water reservoirs and hoses, by using ultra violet light.  It uses a strong UV light to kill 99% of bacteria, pathogens and fungi present on items placed inside the device.  He said I can use that same device to also effectively disinfect and sterilize our P95 face masks, as well as our cell phones.  I purchased this device and now I put the mask into the drawer, face up and start the automatic timed disinfecting process of the entire outside surface of the mask.  Once finished, I turn the mask over 180 degs. and start the process again, in order to disinfect the inside surfaces as well.  I do the same for our cell phones. Here is a link to that device:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/3B-medical-lumin-uv-cpap-sanitizer

So far, using these face masks (respirators) and UVGI disinfecting method with this device has been working well for us and we will continue to use them as long as necessary.

AVB-AMG

What was the point of all that research if you wound up buying the bare minimum?

N Vs P, I would rather have the P, but lets be honest, your "broader range" of protection includes spraying solvent based products.. it offers zero extra protection in this case. 

A 3m half face respirator (6 or 7 series) with 7093 p100 cartridges would have been a much better option. Not only is it simple to clean, but the filters are protected by a casing.. and they don't have a usability "shelf life". I wipe it down with a chlorox wipe and leave it in the car..

On 4/8/2020 at 8:06 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Creality Ender 3 with some upgrades and a connected raspberry pi running octopi. 

I got it as a cheap entry point to play around with 3D printing.  Assembly, upgrade parts and tuning/tweaking were required to get it to the point where I can press “print” and come back to a completed print without issues.

There are more “out of the box” print ready printers available at higher price points.

Any recommendations on “out of the box” print ready printers would be appreciated. I am a beginner, looking to learn about 3D and perhaps contribute to the “war effort” by printing masks for my friends and family.

thanks

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

What was the point of all that research if you wound up buying the bare minimum?

N Vs P, I would rather have the P, but lets be honest, your "broader range" of protection includes spraying solvent based products.. it offers zero extra protection in this case. 

A 3m half face respirator (6 or 7 series) with 7093 p100 cartridges would have been a much better option. Not only is it simple to clean, but the filters are protected by a casing.. and they don't have a usability "shelf life". I wipe it down with a chlorox wipe and leave it in the car..

@JackDaWack

The point of all that research was to educate myself on what makes the most sense and is within reason, based on what we all knew about the likelihood of the spreading COVID-19 virus, back in February.  The P95 respirator face mask is far from "the bare minimum" as you assert and actually, if fitted propertly, provides very good protection, as well as longer use life than the more common, medical grade N95 masks, and were very affordable, even with the mark up that I agreed to pay to buy them on ebay.  Understanding the best method of disinfecting these masks to further prolong their useful life was also very important to me as well and I have now learned what that is and am sharing that with others on this forum.

Also, lets get real.... Who really wants to go to the grocery store wearing the 3M 6 or 7 series half face respirator that you consider to be a "much better option"?  (See image below....). Not me, nor my wife.  We all have to decide for ourselves what level of precautions we are willing to make, while abiding by the state-imposed restrictions and regulations, without looking like a bio-hazmat worker...  I am perfectly comfortable with my choices.  If I see someone wearing what you propose, I will just assume that it is you. 
Stay healthy and safe....^_^

AVB-AMG

Half mask 3M 6300, size L

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

@JackDaWack

The point of all that research was to educate myself on what makes the most sense and is within reason, based on what we all knew about the likelihood of the spreading COVID-19 virus, back in February.  The P95 respirator face mask is far from "the bare minimum" as you assert and actually, if fitted propertly, provides very good protection, as well as longer use life than the more common, medical grade N95 masks, and were very affordable, even with the mark up that I agreed to pay to buy them on ebay.  Understanding the best method of disinfecting these masks to further prolong their useful life was also very important to me as well and I have now learned what that is and am sharing that with others on this forum.

Also, lets get real.... Who really wants to go to the grocery store wearing the 3M 6 or 7 series half face respirator that you consider to be a "much better option"?  (See image below....). Not me, nor my wife.  We all have to decide for ourselves what level of precautions we are willing to make, while abiding by the state-imposed restrictions and regulations, without looking like a bio-hazmat worker...  I am perfectly comfortable with my choices.  If I see someone wearing what you propose, I will just assume that it is you. 
Stay healthy and safe....^_^

AVB-AMG

Half mask 3M 6300, size L

You know what the 95 stands for?

And yeah, I have absolutely no issues wearing that, with the appropriate filters to the store. 

54 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

You know what the 95 stands for?

And yeah, I have absolutely no issues wearing that, with the appropriate filters to the store. 

I have a 6000 series with the pink P100 disk filters.

@AVB-AMG  I'll wave. :hi:

N95/P95 filters 95%. 

You need to be clean shaven for maximum effectiveness. See below.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31978416/

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I have a 6000 series with the pink P100 disk filters.

@AVB-AMG  I'll wave. :hi:

N95/P95 filters 95%. 

You need to be clean shaven for maximum effectiveness. See below.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31978416/

@ChrisJM981:

Yes, I am aware that for maximum effectiveness for ANY face mask, a man should preferably be clean shaven, which is what I am.  Enjoy, your 6000 series face mask and try not to perspire too much after wearing it for over 60 minutes....:heat:

@JackDaWack:

Yes, I do know what the 95 stands for....   
I will be on the look out for you in the store next week when I am grocery shopping..... You will be the guy who is taking this to the extreme.  That is not a criticism, but just an observation and expression of my opinion.  
Do what you are comfortable doing to stay safe and healthy....

AVB-AMG

A shopper resembles something out of Star Wars while queuing in the supermarket

41 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

@ChrisJM981:

Yes, I am aware that for maximum effectiveness for ANY face mask, a man should preferably be clean shaven, which is what I am.  Enjoy, your 6000 series face mask and try not to perspire too much after wearing it for over 60 minutes....:heat:

@JackDaWack:

Yes, I do know what the 95 stands for....   
I will be on the look out for you in the store next week when I am grocery shopping..... You will be the guy who is taking this to the extreme.  That is not a criticism, but just an observation and expression of my opinion.  
Do what you are comfortable doing to stay safe and healthy....

AVB-AMG

A shopper resembles something out of Star Wars while queuing in the supermarket

The point of them is that they are more comfortable to wear for long periods of time, and far less restrictive to air flow. They also don't wick moisture from your face so if you do sweat is has zero effect on performance.

To make a point though, this virus is nothing compared to what you should be prepared for... 

18 hours ago, Malsua said:

It would be too damaging.

Wash everything that is durable, like soda bottles, and whatnot with soapy water.   Wipe down meat packages or remove and place in zips.

Quarantine boxes for 24 hours(minimum) or take the product out of the bag like cereals.

Wash fruits and veggies in a colander. 

There is little evidence that people are getting sick from this method of transmission but I don't want to be the first, so this is how I handle it.

Gloves in the store and bags of groceries in the trunk.  Gloves off before getting in the passenger compartment.    Gloves back on before hauling into the house and dumping out the bags or putting certain bags into 24 quarantine.

Everything gets washed that can be washed.   Dispose of bags and gloves.

Practice glove hygiene with shaving cream.  Have someone dispense on your gloves while you are wearing them.  Simulate getting bags from the car, getting everything removed from bags and get the gloves off without bits of shaving cream all over the place.  It isn't easy and it takes some practice.

Thank you! This is very helpful information. 

• Like 1

We picked up apples, oranges and grapefruit yesterday and I washed them all down with apple cider vinegar before they went in the fruit bowl at home. 
The stuff in the fruit aisle is the stuff I am most concerned about because everyone picks though to get the ones they like so those are the things I really try to wash well. Especially apples and stuff you eat the skin on.

The jury is still out on weather vinegar can kill Covid-19 but they are asking us to wash with regular soap so I am guessing anything helps and the virus can’t seem to last for more then a day or two on surfaces so as long as I am not eating stuff immediately I think I still have good odds... 

-Jim

On 4/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Scorpio64 said:

I have been spraying my masks with high purity alcohol after each use.  Wetting them but not soaking them. 

Remember to sanitize your hands before you put a "clean" mask on, and before you take it off, and again after you have taken it off.  It seems a bit extreme but it's the only way to avoid cross contamination.

EDIT:  Here is everything you never wanted to know about disinfecting, sterilization and inactivation of viruses on masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/decontamination-reuse-respirators.html

this

I use a bottle of water with some bleach and spray after use and then let dry in sun.  You can use the masks almost indefinitely like that