njJoniGuy

Reloading components swap

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

You can always get dies, a press a scale etc.  You will likely never again have a chance at scoring 12# of a good versatile powder at this price again. 

You guys are killin' me! Guilt trip on....

Did a quick search and it looks like i could get a 8# and 4# can online, with shipping, and hazmat for about 235$...

Whats the opinion on powder shelf life??  this is definitley a sealed 12# drum; but it is IMR branded, made in canada, before Hodgdon bought out IMR.. My search shows this canada made stuff was really well liked and sought after.. But if im reading the date code right, it appears this is a 2003 manufacturer date..  Its been stored properly and sealed.. Any reason for there to be concern?  What about once i open it? How long will it last. It would take me a longggggggggggg time to use this up...  I would be happy to share, but like has been mentioned, not many people will trust buying into an open container.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

Whats the opinion on powder shelf life??

Shit, 2003, that powder doesn't even have hair on it's balls yet.

Properly sealed and stored smokeless powder lasts decades.  I know of two gentleman that are still reloading out of a 100# keg, like an actual wood keg of US military surplus powder they bought in 1978.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You guys are killin' me! Guilt trip on....

Did a quick search and it looks like i could get a 8# and 4# can online, with shipping, and hazmat for about 235$...

Whats the opinion on powder shelf life??  this is definitley a sealed 12# drum; but it is IMR branded, made in canada, before Hodgdon bought out IMR.. My search shows this canada made stuff was really well liked and sought after.. But if im reading the date code right, it appears this is a 2003 manufacturer date..  Its been stored properly and sealed.. Any reason for there to be concern?  What about once i open it? How long will it last. It would take me a longggggggggggg time to use this up...  I would be happy to share, but like has been mentioned, not many people will trust buying into an open container.

Powder does have quite a long shelf life, as already noted here.

And I have bought open containers of powder before...but I've managed the risk by buying from a source that I figured probably hadn't mixed powders (when dumping from a powder measure hopper back into the container) and only buying powders for which I have a known authentic source at home.  In that case, I dumped a little of my powder and a little of the powder for purchase onto sheets of white paper, and inspected carefully to make sure the two samples were visually identical.

Best case for you might be to find two others who want 4 lbs of cheap powder, then go buy the sealed container and divide it on the spot.   Everyone is happy.  But it might be a pain to find the buyers and coordinate the purchase/division.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have some spare 9, 40, 45 and 10mm brass.  I think I may have a bunch of .300 BO sized and primed.  Still digging through some boxes.  

On 4/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, eyeinstine said:

Definitely a 12 pounder..  I had to google it up myself. they used to make and sell that size.. then DOT regs changed and that size could no longer be shipped, so they stopping offering the 12# kegs...

Good price for a 12# keg. 

Hercules used to market 15 lb. kegs of smokeless powder. When my dad heard I was reloading back in the 90's, he gave me two used kegs of Red Dot and Green Dot he had no use for. They were each about half full. They lasted me about ten years reloading 12 ga. & 20 ga. skeet & upland loads. He had bought them in the early 60's, when a 15# keg sold for $30.  :huh:

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 1:29 PM, 10X said:

I’m looking for:

Large or small pistol primers, CCI or Winchester, standard, not magnum

Unopened red dot, WST, or bullseye powder

38 cal 148 gr wadcutters

45 cal 185 gr semiwadcutters

9 mm 147 gr jacketed  or plated bullets

44 mag brass, ideally Winchester or Starline

45 ACP brass, mixed or Federal  Large primer only

.22 LR ammo

I’m in Morris County, willing to drive  up to half an hour, maybe more if moving a lot of this.

Shame you aren't in South Jersey. I've got thousands of CCI mini mag rounds.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:29 PM, 10X said:

I’ve got a few things I’d be willing to trade or sell; some are duplicates of things I already have, others are items that came in as part of lots that included things I needed.

I’ve grouped some, where I’d like to move along items as a lot.

Nontoxic shot reloader special   

11 lbs #4 steel unopened bag plus an extra 3 lbs #4,  plus 7 lbs # 5 bismuth shot, plus 7 lbs BB bismuth shot,  About 8 lbs BB steel shot, and 2 lbs #5 steel shot. 2 jars shot buffer, ~100 12ga gas seals, hundreds of 12 ga felt wads and overshot wads 

20 gauge reloader special  100 x primed new 3” hulls, ~85 x primed new 2 ¾ hulls, assorted once fired 2 ¾ hulls, fiber and felt wads

Tasco 30mm ring mounts for scope/dot sight   

RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure

Remington Gun Club 12 gauge hulls, once fired (by me), never touched the ground.  I’ve got a 13 gallon trash bag full

458 Winchester Magnum RCBS die set and a few dozen cases, plus a small number of bullets.

375 H&H Magnum Forester Benchrest dies.  I know, I’d not expect to see ‘.375 mag’ and ‘benchrest’ in the same product description, but it is a really impressive set of precision dies.

300 Weatherby Magnum cases, a few dozen, I think.

300 Winchester Magnum dies, Lee three die set.

30-06 dies, Lee three die set.

30-30 dies, RCBS

240 Weatherby dies (3 die set, plus a neck sizer die)

44 Magnum/special dies, Lyman, non-carbide sizer

9 mm Luger dies, RCBS two die set, non-carbide sizer

The dies are all very lightly used (I’ve not used them at all)

American Rifleman Magazines 1977 to present!  

Every Issue* for over 40 years-About 500 magazines!     Pick up some reading material to pass the time during lockdown. *I think.

I’m looking for:

Large or small pistol primers, CCI or Winchester, standard, not magnum

Unopened red dot, WST, or bullseye powder

38 cal 148 gr wadcutters

45 cal 185 gr semiwadcutters

9 mm 147 gr jacketed  or plated bullets

44 mag brass, ideally Winchester or Starline

45 ACP brass, mixed or Federal  Large primer only

.22 LR ammo

I’m in Morris County, willing to drive  up to half an hour, maybe more if moving a lot of this.

Interested in the 30-30 dies

also interested in the 9mm....I dont do much 9mm, but it might be nice to have some capability-even tho its not carbide

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

anybody want to make me an offer on the Mec loader I have posted before I put it on Ebay?

Ugh, I just got one a week ago. On the bright side, I love mine!

I got plenty of .223 brass mixed lots Lake City. Once fired. Probably near 800-900 cases I don't need. Pretty much up for grabs.

12 hours ago, Tunaman said:

anybody want to make me an offer on the Mec loader I have posted before I put it on Ebay?

How does this compare the MEC650? Just a newer version? something that makes it better than the 650?

11 hours ago, Greenday said:

Ugh, I just got one a week ago. On the bright side, I love mine!

I got plenty of .223 brass mixed lots Lake City. Once fired. Probably near 800-900 cases I don't need. Pretty much up for grabs.

wish you were closer!  Thats one caliber i will be reloading once im all setup, and that i dont currently have brass for..

14 hours ago, W2MC said:

also interested in the 9mm....I dont do much 9mm, but it might be nice to have some capability-even tho its not carbide

Sending a PM on the dies.

How does this compare the MEC650? Just a newer version? something that makes it better than the 650?

wish you were closer!  Thats one caliber i will be reloading once im all setup, and that i dont currently have brass for..

To be honest i thing IS a 600 or 650.  I need to do research to find out more.  I havent used this in 20 years...and then maybe 5 or 6 times since I bought it new.  I'll go get the model number...

Cross posting this from PAFOA - I found a box of brass from the times I wanted to get into reloading lol.

1) A bag of mixed 223/5.56, NOT cleaned, not de-primed, just as picked - ~4lbs, probably around 280-300 casings
2) A bag of mixed handgun caliber shells, mostly 9mm / .40, possibly with some .45 and .380 in between - ~4.8lbs, probably around 450-500 casings
3) A few .243 and .308 (less than 10 each)

I don't need it, so basically whoever wants to pay ~$8 postage gets it (I doubt you would want to drive to Wilkes-Barre PA)

Thanks!

223.jpg

pc.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2020 at 9:20 PM, W2MC said:

Got 'em!

Good deal

thanks

22 minutes ago, mikka1 said:

Cross posting this from PAFOA - I found a box of brass from the times I wanted to get into reloading lol.

1) A bag of mixed 223/5.56, NOT cleaned, not de-primed, just as picked - ~4lbs, probably around 280-300 casings
2) A bag of mixed handgun caliber shells, mostly 9mm / .40, possibly with some .45 and .380 in between - ~4.8lbs, probably around 450-500 casings
3) A few .243 and .308 (less than 10 each)

I don't need it, so basically whoever wants to pay ~$8 postage gets it (I doubt you would want to drive to Wilkes-Barre PA)

Thanks!

223.jpg

pc.jpg

I'll take em if still available!

PM sent!

42 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Got 'em!

Good deal

thanks

Glad to hear it!   I've updated my list to show those dies are gone; I know I've got a few new items to add; just need to get downstairs and do an inventory.

I've got 1000 CCI small rifle magnum primers, 1000 Winchester small rifle standard primers, and 500 Federal small rifle standard primers I'd trade straight across for Federal large pistol primers.   Would meeting in Morris County work?