Old Glock guy

Ruger 10/22 Trigger not working PSA

Has anyone ever taken their 10/22 apart for cleaning, then put it back together, and found that the trigger wouldn't work?  I've had it happen twice now.

The first time was a couple of years ago, and I was going to install a BX trigger anyway, so I popped the non-functioning one out, put the new one in, and everything was fine.

Until last week, when the same thing happened again.  (Perhaps the moral of this story is that I shouldn't be cleaning them.)  I did some research, and found that when you move the safety into the middle position to permit the stock to be removed, the safety detente becomes disengaged, and the safety can rotate 180 degrees, which  prevents the trigger from allowing the hammer to fall.  The solution is to rotate the safety back into position, but ii is at the bottom of the trigger group assembly, so I was unable to access it without completely disassembling the trigger group  

I ended up with a bag of parts that I thought I would have to bring to a gunsmith after this pandemic lockdown ends, but thanks to the wonders of You Tube, I was able to get the whole thing back together.  It seems to be working OK now, but I guess the true test won't come until I can get to the range and put some rounds through it

Anyway, I hope this never happens to you, but chances are it will, so now you know what to do about it.  

• Informative 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:08 PM, Old Glock guy said:

Has anyone ever taken their 10/22 apart for cleaning, then put it back together, and found that the trigger wouldn't work?  I've had it happen twice now.

The first time was a couple of years ago, and I was going to install a BX trigger anyway, so I popped the non-functioning one out, put the new one in, and everything was fine.

Until last week, when the same thing happened again.  (Perhaps the moral of this story is that I shouldn't be cleaning them.)  I did some research, and found that when you move the safety into the middle position to permit the stock to be removed, the safety detente becomes disengaged, and the safety can rotate 180 degrees, which  prevents the trigger from allowing the hammer to fall.  The solution is to rotate the safety back into position, but ii is at the bottom of the trigger group assembly, so I was unable to access it without completely disassembling the trigger group  

I ended up with a bag of parts that I thought I would have to bring to a gunsmith after this pandemic lockdown ends, but thanks to the wonders of You Tube, I was able to get the whole thing back together.  It seems to be working OK now, but I guess the true test won't come until I can get to the range and put some rounds through it

Anyway, I hope this never happens to you, but chances are it will, so now you know what to do about it.  

I'm just wondering how you were cleaning the trigger group, usually I use g96 oil, let it be for a while, and then use compressed air to flush everything out. It works great, and I've never had an issue .Just wondering how you clean it that ended up "breaking it"

And kudos for having it fixed!

fmf.src, it was not the cleaning of the trigger group that caused it to stop functioning,   In fact, I didn't even remove it during the cleaning.  From what I've read, it was the act of pushing the safety halfway between safe and fire, as instructed, to be able to remove the stock from the receiver, that allows it to rotate 180 degrees out of position.  Somehow that prevents the hammer from falling, so in essence, you end up with a dead trigger.  

8 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

fmf.src, it was not the cleaning of the trigger group that caused it to stop functioning,   In fact, I didn't even remove it during the cleaning.  From what I've read, it was the act of pushing the safety halfway between safe and fire, as instructed, to be able to remove the stock from the receiver, that allows it to rotate 180 degrees out of position.  Somehow that prevents the hammer from falling, so in essence, you end up with a dead trigger.  

I use a bore snake brother. F that taking apart crap. I had to freeze my aftermarket barrel just to install it

7 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Dang! I've only had the 10/22 for less than a year, I'll keep this in mind.

I find that the process of moving the safety to the middle, specially when moving the barrel back to the stock, sometimes it's irritating.

I've even considered making a channel, by cutting out some of the stock, or something just so I don't have to go over that process.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:08 PM, Old Glock guy said:

Who would imagine that if you take something apart, you have ot put it back together again correctly for it to work correctly? 

Youtube has definitely raised the quality of the wily e. coyote school of gunsmithing.