rifleman

Value of Civil War revolver

Hello Brothers,

Are there any knowledgeable Civil War revolver guys here? I dug out an old revolver and think it is worth more than a paperweight. I looked online and this is what I could easily find:

Model M1854 E. LeFaucheux 12mm pinfire revolver.

Marked: INVR BREVETE & several stamped inspector marks on barrel & frame

Seems to be a US Cavalry model with finger rest type trigger guard & original varnished grips, 2 notches. This manufacturer shipped serial numbers 25067 thru 36900 between Sept 1861 to June 1862 to the Union Army. This is s/n 34859. Also seen online was 34376 (sold $1,260), 35943 (sold $725). This definitely looks like an original, not reproduction. The metal has a old patina. It is missing the ejector rod. The loading gate opens fine, hammer & trigger works and the cylinder spins. 

Any idea of the value? If anybody is interested, I will reactivate a premium membership and offer it for sale the right way. Thanks all for your consideration and hope someone can add to what I know or think about this great old piece.

20200409_145054.jpg

Nice piece of history ya got there!  You already have an interwebs idea as to value.  Now you need a real appraisal by an expert that can see & handle the piece.  Anyone else that says otherwise is a BS artist.  Missing parts will obviously hurt value.  Plus other side could be scratched-up & completely rusted?  Full detailed close-ups of 360* are required for a best guess w/o holding it in your own two hands.

Good luck with the sale & hope it finds a happy home where someone will treasure it!

Rosey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rifleman said:

Update, I got 2 good offers from resellers for $300. I guess that is the value: what people will pay. As soon as I can safely go to the Lakewood (hahahaha) post office, I will send it out.

Call the post office and they will pick up any package at your house for free.  I do it every day.  Print your own postage with stamps.com.

4 hours ago, rifleman said:

Update, I got 2 good offers from resellers for $300. I guess that is the value: what people will pay. As soon as I can safely go to the Lakewood (hahahaha) post office, I will send it out.

That is NOT the value and reseller offering 300 for that knows they can probably get at least double,

33 minutes ago, rifleman said:

When I get good documentation and history of the piece, my price is going up. I bet there are some Civil War reenactors that would like to carry a the real thing.

Probably not especially if it has provenance - the CW market is depressed as is the NAZI market at this time. However, I would submit to you - establish the history, establish any provenance, document it and put it away for another 50 years and let your kid have it for sale.

They are rare and in today's market you are not going to realize its full monetary potential in the method with how you are trying to sell it. IMO