ChrisS

Due to Covid, should PD be allowed some slack on the 30 day response?

It’s been 32 days since I put in for my handgun permit. I called the police dept last week and was told they are almost ready to go and that they would call me this week to pick them up. I called today to follow up and was told everything is done but due to the secretary having reduced hours because of Covid19, she’s backed up on typing them. Still need the Chief to sign them as well. The detective was polite and professional. I guess I’m just anxious to pick up my two handguns and am hoping to start the process ASAP. Maybe I should just take a breath and wait?

In this instance a small amount of slack is appropriate. 

During normal times it should work like Dominoes. Not back in 30 days? Then they're free.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

breath and wait

^

this, under the best possible conditions our local PD can't even punch them in 65 days . I'm complaining about a 60 + day plus wait while others here have waited even longer. In the past,  say 1985 or so the old firearm division staff would punch them out in 2  weeks but those days are gone

Should they be allowed slack?  Abso-fucking-lutely NOT!  The State unconstitutionally injected themselves into the process of the citizens bearing arms.  Until the day comes that the supreme court removes them from that process, I will find no excuse satisfactory as to why they do not uphold their self imposed end of the deal.  

Just my opinion on the matter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I think it depends on your goals. If you want to get your permits and do not wish to cause at least some animosity with your local PD given you are planning on living in that town, slack seems like the best course of action.

If you want to fight the 2a fight slack is contrary to that goal. Adhering to the letter of the law or directly challenging that law would be the best option but that may be costly (legal fees) time consuming and might cause unforeseen issues.

Maybe a middle of the road approach would make sense. Document your interactions ask if email confirmation of your status is possible. If all that is left as they claim is some typing and a signature that should not take too long. If you have an email or a letter saying that is all that is left and its dated if you rethink the legal option later because it's been months you would have something to show an attorney. I dont know all of your circumstances so I cannot say that any of the above approaches are right for you but perhaps give some thought to what your highest priorities are and plot your course accordingly.

When I lived in Montvale it took 10 weeks for permits. Where I am now is about 3 weeks. While not ideal it's within NJ law. My brother in PA got his LTCF in under an hour if I recall correctly. I cannot wait to leave NJ. 

Be polite, follow up, and document everything. If it's a little over the 30 days I wouldn't go nuts over it, but that's up to you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FXDX said:

^

this, under the best possible conditions our local PD can't even punch them in 65 days . I'm complaining about a 60 + day plus wait while others here have waited even longer. In the past,  say 1985 or so the old firearm division staff would punch them out in 2  weeks but those days are gone

It took 110 days for me to get my last batch of permits (using FARS).  In my opinion, they should not get any slack.  But you have to be careful about how you fight, or challenge it.  You may end up slowing the process even more.

2 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Awesome. Guess I’ll look for ammo online that is:

A) in stock

B) ships to NJ

That should keep me busy for quite a while. :)

Thanks for the perspective. 

Sign up got Targetsports text message when back in stock, free shipping when you buy a case. 

Beware prices have gone up.

I plan on living here for the considerable future and have never had any issues with the local police department... I’d like to keep it that way. 

hopefully this will be resolved by next week. I’ll keep you posted. 

4 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Sign up got Targetsports text message when back in stock, free shipping when you buy a case. 

Beware prices have gone up.

I’ve got a bunch of stuff set up with Targetsports text- and yeah... I’ve noticed the price increases. My wife lost her shit when she saw what I spent on ammo two months ago. Now that she sees how hard it is to get ammo, she’s glad I ordered as much as I did. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, CF1782 said:

I think it depends on your goals. If you want to get your permits and do not wish to cause at least some animosity with your local PD given you are planning on living in that town, slack seems like the best course of action.

If you want to fight the 2a fight slack is contrary to that goal. Adhering to the letter of the law or directly challenging that law would be the best option but that may be costly (legal fees) time consuming and might cause unforeseen issues.

Maybe a middle of the road approach would make sense. Document your interactions ask if email confirmation of your status is possible. If all that is left as they claim is some typing and a signature that should not take too long. If you have an email or a letter saying that is all that is left and its dated if you rethink the legal option later because it's been months you would have something to show an attorney. I dont know all of your circumstances so I cannot say that any of the above approaches are right for you but perhaps give some thought to what your highest priorities are and plot your course accordingly.

Nice just roll over . They want you to follow their unconstitutional laws yet you question them following their own laws.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom - go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

The fact that you need to ask permission to buy another gun is insane. If you already have a gun why do you need to ask permission to purchase another.

1 hour ago, revenger said:

There at two people on planet earth that should know you are purchasing / acquiring a gun,   you being one of them and the seller being the second.   

So I should try to buy the handguns without applying for the permits and making the state privy to my purchase? I’m going to wait a week and take it from there. 

3 hours ago, ChrisS said:

So I should try to buy the handguns without applying for the permits and making the state privy to my purchase? . 

That would be stupid.

Whats the point of owning a handgun in N.J. if it can't be used in a justifiable self defense situation without exposing yourself to serious weapons charges probably landing you in jail, your wife will divorce you and you'll lose the right to ever legally own firearms in any state.

30 days is about average for purchase permits some wait much longer, some less. 

That being said, do gun laws in N.J. stink, yes but thats the way it is and not likely to change anytime soon, we are vastly outnumbered

14 hours ago, Danno said:

No legal gun seller would even think of allowing you to buy a hand gun with out a permit. Don't even think about it . If I had a week it wouldn't be enough time to explain it to you.

I was trying to say that there is no alternative to going through the procedures that are currently law in our state. I guess the sarcasm got lost there. Sorry. 

12 hours ago, Bomber said:

That would be stupid.

Whats the point of owning a handgun in N.J. if it can't be used in a justifiable self defense situation without exposing yourself to serious weapons charges probably landing you in jail, your wife will divorce you and you'll lose the right to ever legally own firearms in any state.

30 days is about average for purchase permits some wait much longer, some less. 

That being said, do gun laws in N.J. stink, yes but thats the way it is and not likely to change anytime soon, we are vastly outnumbered

Again, I was being sarcastic... Sorry for the confusion. I am well aware that you can’t purchase a handgun legally in NJ without a permit. My original question pertained to whether people thought the 30 day mark should be allowed slack due to the current events of the world. 

Thank you all for your vigorous points of view. I appreciate all of them. 

On 4/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, ChrisS said:

It’s been 32 days since I put in for my handgun permit. I called the police dept last week and was told they are almost ready to go and that they would call me this week to pick them up. I called today to follow up and was told everything is done but due to the secretary having reduced hours because of Covid19, she’s backed up on typing them. Still need the Chief to sign them as well. The detective was polite and professional. I guess I’m just anxious to pick up my two handguns and am hoping to start the process ASAP. Maybe I should just take a breath and wait?

No.  

On 4/9/2020 at 3:35 PM, ChrisS said:

Awesome. Guess I’ll look for ammo online that is:

A) in stock

B) ships to NJ

That should keep me busy for quite a while. :)

Thanks for the perspective. 

I had signed up for email  notifications at MidwayUSA for various ammo selections about a week ago. Yesterday morning received several notifications that they had 556 in stock. I successfully placed my order about 15 minutes later.  When I checked later in the day, they had sold out. Recommend you do the same and keep a close watch on your inbox.  As I recall, if ordering handgun ammo, they will ask you to upload a copy of your FPID card as part of checkout.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Again, I was being sarcastic... Sorry for the confusion. I am well aware that you can’t purchase a handgun legally in NJ without a permit. My original question pertained to whether people thought the 30 day mark should be allowed slack due to the current events of the world. 

Thank you all for your vigorous points of view. I appreciate all of them. 

Sounds like your PD is working on it, not stalling and the reduced hours explanation is believable.

Nonetheless, I would call again if you don't hear back from them.

Personally, next time I'm going to purchase the item I want then have it shipped to my FFL to hold, while the PP is processed.

Last year I was in the market for an S&W EZ. I bought something because my PP was about to expire. A few months later S&W comes out with rebates for the same Item and they were selling at bargain basement prices. 

BTW-  You won't be able to pickup two handguns, thanks to Gov Corzine it's one a month in N.J. 

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Sounds like your PD is working on it, not stalling and the reduced hours explanation is believable.

Nonetheless, I would call again if you don't hear back from them.

Personally, next time I'm going to purchase the item I want then have it shipped to my FFL to hold, while the PP is processed.

Last year I was in the market for an S&W EZ. I bought something because my PP was about to expire. A few months later S&W comes out with rebates for the same Item and they were selling at bargain basement prices. 

BTW-  You won't be able to pickup two handguns, thanks to Gov Corzine it's one a month in N.J. 

I hear ya. I bought both handguns already. Waiting on the permits- picking up the revolver first, waiting 30 days, then picking up the Bobcat. I’m thinking I’ll apply for two more permits now and try to constantly have them at the ready in case anything pops up. I’ve been looking at the Beretta M9/92/X lately and really like them. I’m also thinking about picking up a Ruger Standard with the pencil barrel. I sold my Mk III and still regret it. 

NO.  Since they cannot go out and issue speeding tickets, parking tickets, tickets for window tinting, arrest bad guys they should have plenty of time to work on background checks and the like while their secretary is out.  

On 4/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, Regular Guy said:

Should they be allowed slack?  Abso-fucking-lutely NOT!  The State unconstitutionally injected themselves into the process of the citizens bearing arms.  Until the day comes that the supreme court removes them from that process, I will find no excuse satisfactory as to why they do not uphold their self imposed end of the deal.  

Just my opinion on the matter.  

For NJ, though, 31 days is NOT highly unreasonable compared to other encroachments, and this burden placed on the Police Departments by overzealous and foolish polticians sucks for them, too.  

They certainly hold us to our end of the deal.  What if it was inconvenient to wait 30 days and you wanted to buy a second gun on the 27th day?   What if you wanted to pickup your permits at 5:20 on your way home from work, instead of 10:40 am on the 2nd Tuesday of the month during leap year?   

They don't need covid19 to be allowed slack. The judge in Camden gave them a blank check when he decided the 30 statute was superseded by public safety, ultimately allowing issuing authorities to completely ignore it in NJ