dajonga

Career advice.... CNC type work...

I am in a career that has been declining for 15 years and may be dead in the not too distant future. I have been a professional photojournalist since I was 19. For the past 5 years, 95% of my work is covering high school sports for nj.com. I am self-employed and work as an independent contractor. My income dropped by about 25% from 2018 to 2019. NOT adjusted for inflation (just numbers), I make less now that I made in 1999. I have not touched a camera since March 12 and if schools do not open, I face being without any income until schools reopen in September.....IF the clients are still in business....and if those clients are still willing to hire freelancers to cover games. 

Now that freelancers and gig workers can get gov help, I have applied for unemployment, but that money may be months away. 

I am facing starting over as a 50-year-old with a very specialized skill set that will likely not transfer to a different field.

I learned about Ocean County Vo-Tech's 10-month accelerated program for precision machine technology. As an outsider looking in, I have always found CNC work intriguing. 

"The OCVTS Precision Machine Technology Program (PMT) offers accelerated training in modern and relevant career pathways in the manufacturing industry. Areas of study include: Computer Numerical Control (CNC) theory and operations, manual machine operations (mill and lathe), basic welding, automation, prototyping, production planning, CNC milling, CNC lathe, engineering analysis and quality control, theory, programming and operations, and robotics. Students are afforded the opportunity to receive OSHA-10 Safety Certification Training."

Is anyone here knowledgable about this field? And if so, do you have any advice? Are the jobs out there? Are they good jobs? I do not need benefits or a huge salary, but I don't think a living wage is too much to ask for.

The tuition is $7000.

I can't speak specifically to what jobs are available.  What I can speak to is learning g-code and solidworks.

You get both of those, you can write your own ticket.

I know rudimentary g-code, the basic speeds and feeds, but I did a weeks class and can usually modify programs(I am a front-end programmer in one of my hats) to not break tools on cincom cnc lathes.

I also know some basic solidworks.    The ability to create an STL file in solidworks and translate it into a runnable g-code program will get you in the door just about anywhere.   The fact that you can spit it out an STL means that any company doing additive printing will also want you.

Create part in solid works

Print STL on 3d printer

Translate to a machined part on a CNC

= Winner

Learning how to run a basic milling machine can get you extra side work as well.   People always need something made and if you can do it with precision, it can be a reasonable source of income.   If I had space, I'd have a milling machine.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

I am in a career that has been declining for 15 years and may be dead in the not too distant future. I have been a professional photojournalist since I was 19. For the past 5 years, 95% of my work is covering high school sports for nj.com. I am self-employed and work as an independent contractor. My income dropped by about 25% from 2018 to 2019. NOT adjusted for inflation (just numbers), I make less now that I made in 1999. I have not touched a camera since March 12 and if schools do not open, I face being without any income until schools reopen in September.....IF the clients are still in business....and if those clients are still willing to hire freelancers to cover games. 

Now that freelancers and gig workers can get gov help, I have applied for unemployment, but that money may be months away. 

I am facing starting over as a 50-year-old with a very specialized skill set that will likely not transfer to a different field.

I learned about Ocean County Vo-Tech's 10-month accelerated program for precision machine technology. As an outsider looking in, I have always found CNC work intriguing. 

"The OCVTS Precision Machine Technology Program (PMT) offers accelerated training in modern and relevant career pathways in the manufacturing industry. Areas of study include: Computer Numerical Control (CNC) theory and operations, manual machine operations (mill and lathe), basic welding, automation, prototyping, production planning, CNC milling, CNC lathe, engineering analysis and quality control, theory, programming and operations, and robotics. Students are afforded the opportunity to receive OSHA-10 Safety Certification Training."

Is anyone here knowledgable about this field? And if so, do you have any advice? Are the jobs out there? Are they good jobs? I do not need benefits or a huge salary, but I don't think a living wage is too much to ask for.

The tuition is $7000.

First if you didn't do it yet, see if even as an independent contractor you qualify for any of the support programs passed recently. Look into the payrol protection plan. That's done thru your bank. TODAY.

I left the CNC machining business about 20 years ago. I cut my teeth on a very old mori seiki sl turning center but all that has long been forgotten. From a couple people I still know in the field there's a strong demand for reliable people that show up on time, sober and everyday. 

I know all about this field from many directions and you have a good idea. 6 years ago, operators made 20 per hour, set up guys 40 and programmers 60. I bought a Mori Seki for $260,000 and worth every penny. Yes, I can Solidworks my ass off and run a 3D printer for hahas. PM me anytime.

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

First if you didn't do it yet, see if even as an independent contractor you qualify for any of the support programs passed recently. Look into the payrol protection plan. That's done thru your bank. TODAY.

WP22.... I appreciate the advice. My research has led me to believe that home based businesses like mine do not qualify for the PPP or any SBA Covid19 loans or grants. If I had a physical location with rent due, I would qualify.

I will continue to investigate.

19 minutes ago, dajonga said:

WP22.... I appreciate the advice. My research has led me to believe that home based businesses like mine do not qualify for the PPP or any SBA Covid19 loans or grants. If I had a physical location with rent due, I would qualify.

I will continue to investigate.

We do qualify. Apply and be denied in the interim 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

Interesting. Thank you!!!

What counts as payroll costs? Payroll costs include:  Salary, wages, commissions, or tips (capped at $100,000 on an annualized basis for each employee);

 Employee benefits including costs for vacation, parental, family, medical, or sick leave; allowance for separation or dismissal; payments required for the provisions of group health care benefits including insurance premiums; and payment of any retirement benefit;

 State and local taxes assessed on compensation; and 

For a sole proprietor or independent contractor: wages, commissions, income, or net earnings from self-employment, capped at $100,000 on an annualized basis for each employee.

They are talking about loans but under certain conditions they can become grants. If you have an accountant, ask him. Even if it's a loan, it's 1% money. 

Also, see if the unemployment office has any programs to help you with the 7k tuition under their retraining the work force (or whatever they call it) programs.

Around 2000 I met a guy that was taking a bunch of CAD-CAM classes at Kean paid the UI.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP Borrower Information Fact Sheet.pdf

@dajonga

Another thing, check is NJ extended the groups of people eligible to receive unemployment benefits. Some states extended benefits to self employed and 1099's that normally wouldn't be eligible.

If NJ extended them, you will also be eligible to receive the $600/week from the Feds under Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program .

32 minutes ago, WP22 said:

@dajonga

Another thing, check is NJ extended the groups of people eligible to receive unemployment benefits. Some states extended benefits to self employed and 1099's that normally wouldn't be eligible.

If NJ extended them, you will also be eligible to receive the $600/week from the Feds under Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program .

Roger that WP22. I applied for unem on the 31st. Still waiting to get denied so I can then move onto the next step to get COVID unemployment. I am trying to apply for the SBA's Paycheck Protection Program, but I can't thru to anyone at the bank.

7 minutes ago, dajonga said:

I am trying to apply for the SBA's Paycheck Protection Program, but I can't thru to anyone at the bank.

See if their website has a portal to apply. The case I know about applied tru PNC on PNC's website.

• Thanks 1