Samuel Fernandez

Purchasing a firearm

Hey guys! Army vet here, I was wondering if someone can help me with trying to purchase a firearm. I'm waiting for my FID and I've been doing research on what rifles I want to buy. How do I go about buying a rifle that say my local dealership doesn't have? Is there a way to have a rifle purchased online and delivered to my local dealer as long as they are aware?

42 minutes ago, Samuel Fernandez said:

Hey guys! Army vet here, I was wondering if someone can help me with trying to purchase a firearm. I'm waiting for my FID and I've been doing research on what rifles I want to buy. How do I go about buying a rifle that say my local dealership doesn't have? Is there a way to have a rifle purchased online and delivered to my local dealer as long as they are aware?

Yes, purchase online, have it sent to your local FFL from the online dealer, than pick up/pay transfer fee/NICS. Note if the website you're purchasing it from does not have your FFL on file you will need to have their FFL license forwarded to them to complete the sale. 

5 hours ago, InFamous said:

Yes, purchase online, have it sent to your local FFL from the online dealer, than pick up/pay transfer fee/NICS. Note if the website you're purchasing it from does not have your FFL on file you will need to have their FFL license forwarded to them to complete the sale.

Do you know of any websites for me to check? I found one but seems like an eBay where you bid on guns. Or would you purchase from the manufacturer directly and then give all that info to the manufacturer?

Would I be able to go to a gun dealer and have him order the firearm for me?

I'm sorry but I've only bought a pistol in Alaska so I bought a gun from a guy and did a bill of sale and that was the only gun transaction I've ever done.

It sounds like you know what you want already?

If so... top of the page (if you're not on mobile view) click "More" then "Gun Price Requests", fill out the form and the FFLs we have here will respond.

You can also try posting in the "Want to Buy" section.

Most dealers can order what you want if they don't have it in stock also. It might take longer now, but you said you're still waiting for your FID also.

Look up www.galleryofguns.com.  They’re a reputable site that already has several NJ FFLs in their network.  If the rifle is there, you can order/pay for part of the rifle and they will ship it the FFL that’s closest to your location.   From there you just wait for the FFL to call saying it’s there.  Pay the difference in price plus others fees and you’re all set.

nice part of the site is they have some exclusive option and promise a lifetime warranty on the firearm...

34 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

Look up www.galleryofguns.com.  

G of G stopped taking online orders when this whole thing started, and they're still not.

You search G of G for what you want to at least see if it's in stock. I took a quick look and what I'm waiting to buy is in a new status I've never seen before: A* 

Means allocated.

Since you didn't list a location in your profile we have no idea who is in your area to recommend. It would help us to know where you are and maybe even the specific rifle you are looking for.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

32 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Since you didn't list a location in your profile we have no idea who is in your area to recommend. It would help us to know where you are and maybe even the specific rifle you are looking for.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I live in Hudson County, i''m willing to travel upwards of an hour away to find a good gun store/range. Me and my brother already have a range in PA where he lives so we usually go there, but i'm hoping to find a place near me where I can shoot weekly.

3 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

Look up www.galleryofguns.com.  They’re a reputable site that already has several NJ FFLs in their network.  If the rifle is there, you can order/pay for part of the rifle and they will ship it the FFL that’s closest to your location.   From there you just wait for the FFL to call saying it’s there.  Pay the difference in price plus others fees and you’re all set.

nice part of the site is they have some exclusive option and promise a lifetime warranty on the firearm...

Thanks for that! I'll keep that page tabbed to look for guns.

3 hours ago, kc17 said:

It sounds like you know what you want already?

If so... top of the page (if you're not on mobile view) click "More" then "Gun Price Requests", fill out the form and the FFLs we have here will respond.

You can also try posting in the "Want to Buy" section.

Most dealers can order what you want if they don't have it in stock also. It might take longer now, but you said you're still waiting for your FID also.

Yea i'm looking at a specific rifle and pistol. Just deciding which i'm going to buy first. Since I didn't apply for a P2P, it looks like I'll buy the rifle.

Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, Samuel Fernandez said:

That sounds great! I was hoping there was a system like that in place. Do you know if you would pay extra fee's if someone had to do that?

It might actually be the opposite.

A local shop can order the gun from one of its regular suppliers, mark it up a fair amount and transfer it to you with a $16 or so NICS check. 

If you order a gun from online, they will charge you to ship it to a local shop ($25-50). The local shop will charge you a transfer fee and the NICS check. I think the going rate for a transfer is around $50 including NICS. So, the transfer fee is roughly $35. Buying online costs you $25-50 shipping plus a $ 35 transfer fee.....costs you would avoid by buying local. Either way, you pay for the NICS.

I would try local first.

54 minutes ago, dajonga said:

It might actually be the opposite.

A local shop can order the gun from one of its regular suppliers, mark it up a fair amount and transfer it to you with a $16 or so NICS check. 

If you order a gun from online, they will charge you to ship it to a local shop ($25-50). The local shop will charge you a transfer fee and the NICS check. I think the going rate for a transfer is around $50 including NICS. So, the transfer fee is roughly $35. Buying online costs you $25-50 shipping plus a $ 35 transfer fee.....costs you would avoid by buying local. Either way, you pay for the NICS.

I would try local first.

Okay thanks for that info!

You also didn't mention if it has to be new or used. Used opens a lot more choices.

Here is a site that is in each state. You might have to log on,  account is free. Right now there are 152 rifles for sale in NJ. One thing about this site, you can buy a gun FTF, unlike the internet auction sites.

https://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?location=nj&category=rifles&posttype=1&ships=False

2 hours ago, drjjpdc said:

You also didn't mention if it has to be new or used. Used opens a lot more choices.

Here is a site that is in each state. You might have to log on,  account is free. Right now there are 152 rifles for sale in NJ. One thing about this site, you can buy a gun FTF, unlike the internet auction sites.

https://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?location=nj&category=rifles&posttype=1&ships=False

Okay thats good info. I think I will be buying new. I personally don't like buying used from bad past experience.

2 hours ago, drjjpdc said:

One thing about this site, you can buy a gun FTF, unlike the internet auction sites.

This is NJ. You cannot do a FtF transfer without an FFL background check any more. The only exceptions are LEO to LEO or between family members.

6 hours ago, Samuel Fernandez said:

Okay thats good info. I think I will be buying new. I personally don't like buying used from bad past experience.

Try https://gun.deals punch the upc code or keyword in the search bar to get a list of vendors that have in the item in stock, prices, shipping, etc. 

My other go to site is https://www.gunbroker.com 

For transfers I use Steve at http://www.monmoutharms.com

Best prices on transfers and no need to conduct your business at some crowded gun store counter with all the riff raff milling about. 

• Like 1