Samuel Fernandez

Gunsmith questions

So i'm looking to buy a rifle, but galleryofguns.com seem to have the rifle as restricted. Is there a way I can have the rifle made NJ compliant? Is it possible for me to have it sent to a gunsmith outside of NJ and have him make it compliant? Or can I have a gunsmith in NJ get the rifle and do the work for me?

3 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Short answer: possibly.

Longer answer, post what you're looking at and people here can most certainly give you a definitive answer.

Also, read this page. #15 specifically may help you. https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

Yea what i'm looking at is the rifle has a collapsing stock so that would make it "illegal" in NJ. I'll have to get the weapon with a fixed stock and I was wondering if I could get a gunsmith or a dealer to swap out the stock.

Not really. If it's just an AR, why not just buy one here or buy a stripped lower at your LGS and get all the exact components you want online to build an identical rifle as the one on Gallery of Guns?  You can even have the same adjustable stock and just pin it yourself!

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Not really. If it's just an AR, why not just buy one here or buy a stripped lower at your LGS and get all the exact components you want online to build an identical rifle as the one on Gallery of Guns?  You can even have the same adjustable stock and just pin it yourself!

Its a specific brand. I'm looking at the Sig M400 Tread or the MCX Virtus. The Tread has a collapsing stock while the MCX has a foldable stock.

7 minutes ago, Samuel Fernandez said:

Its a specific brand. I'm looking at the Sig M400 Tread or the MCX Virtus. The Tread has a collapsing stock while the MCX has a foldable stock.

Howell Gun Works posted the M400 on fb this morning. $800 + nics & tax. Not near you, but it's what you're looking for and already NJ compliant.

https://www.facebook.com/HowellGunWorks/

3 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Howell Gun Works posted the M400 on fb this morning. $800 + nics & tax. Not near you, but it's what you're looking for and already NJ compliant.

https://www.facebook.com/HowellGunWorks/

Wow, thanks for this info! That's a drive, but i dont mind the drive to buy it. I'm going to def stop by and see if they have it or see other rifles.

1 hour ago, Samuel Fernandez said:

Wow, thanks for this info! That's a drive, but i dont mind the drive to buy it. I'm going to def stop by and see if they have it or see other rifles.

Make sure you call first. From the post:

"Sig Sauer M400 Tread. $799.99 plus nics and tax. Only a few available.

Sig Sauer M400 elite titanium. $1149.99 plus nics and tax. Only a few available."

Also, some shops have reduced hours thanks to gov bucky.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:00 PM, Samuel Fernandez said:

Yea what i'm looking at is the rifle has a collapsing stock so that would make it "illegal" in NJ. I'll have to get the weapon with a fixed stock and I was wondering if I could get a gunsmith or a dealer to swap out the stock.

Steve at http://monmoutharms.com does N.J. compliance work and transfers- One stop shopping.

Collapsible stocks are allowed in N.J. if pinned into a fixed position (of your choice) as mentioned. A fixed stock could be swapped in as well.

Keep in mind however some rifles are not legal N.J. even with compliance modifications such as a Colt AR-15.

The AR-15 roll mark alone disqualifies it according to the way the AWB is written, even though an identical rifle under a different model name such as A-15 or X-15 could be made N.J. compliant. There are others on the list as well. Call Steve before you order anything.

Another hassle, some sellers will not ship certain rifles to N.J. FFL's even though legal.

So read the fine print for sellers that will ship to N.J.