dwheel

Pistol permit delay?

Hi, a friend of mine applied for pistol permits but had not heard anything back from the police department. I have a feeling that the lady that handles the permits is not working at this time. I’m assuming that there are delays at this time. Does anyone know how long the delays are and if the state police is handling the permits?

CMJ - I'm guessing that the bottleneck is at the NJSP. HTPD was keeping up pretty well, even being short one detective. NICS was out to 5 days, but that too is improving - submitted for NICS approval on Tuesday morning, approved Wednesday late afternoon.

I applied for three more permits on 3/30. References in, but like you, no contact that background check has been completed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

24 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

CMJ - I'm guessing that the bottleneck is at the NJSP. HTPD was keeping up pretty well, even being short one detective. NICS was out to 5 days, but that too is improving - submitted for NICS approval on Tuesday morning, approved Wednesday late afternoon.

I applied for three more permits on 3/30. References in, but like you, no contact that background check has been completed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That's what I figured as well.  Guess it doesn't matter much since I can't get to Tactical Training Center to try out what I want before I buy.  The second permit is for shits and giggles really.  I kinda know what I want with that one, and have shot one before.

15 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Well Bob, you must have a crystal ball because I got my notice that the background check is now complete!  Care to share the next set of lottery numbers?

That bodes well. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before I'm notified. You put in in 3/13 and I put in on 3/30 - we'll see if that interval holds or if I get notified sooner than 17 days from now.

I put in for three permits, two of which are already spoken for - had an offer out to use the third but it didn't come to fruition. I'm sure that I'll find something. Would really like a birth year K38.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Informative 1

3/8: applied for 2 handgun permits. Referenced returned same day.

3/18: criminal background check came back good. 

4/2: called local PD to check status- was told it would be ready the following week. 

4/9: called to follow up- was told my permits are “all set” but have to be typed up and signed by the chief. The lady that types them has a reduced schedule so permits are backed up. “Should” be ready for pick up next week.

4/17: still no email or phone call saying my permits are ready. 

17 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

That bodes well. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before I'm notified. You put in in 3/13 and I put in on 3/30 - we'll see if that interval holds or if I get notified sooner than 17 days from now.

I put in for three permits, two of which are already spoken for - had an offer out to use the third but it didn't come to fruition. I'm sure that I'll find something. Would really like a birth year K38.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I applied for 2 permits on 3 /16 so I will also keep posted here when the background check comes back. Hoping this means it will be this week.

I applied on 3/15 for 2 permits. 3/16 got the conformation it was submitted. 3/16 got another email confirming 1st Reference Questionnaire submitted. Then nothing till the 31st stating Reference Questionnaire has not been received by my 2nd reference. I checked with my buddy and he said he submitted it and received a response successful but would do it again. Same day got a email saying they got the 2nd questionnaire. Today I got the  Criminal History Check completed email. So now I wait for the next round? It's OK I guess since the handguns I want are sold out.  :angry:

Submitted for Firearms permit & 2 hand gun permits online on 3/20

References 1 returned on 3/20.

Reference 2 returned on 3/23.

Emailed local police on 3/23 - They asked for a copy of my lease and other things. Sent over same day. 

Identgo (finger printed) on 3/25.

Criminal history check completed on 3/28.

Emailed local police on 4/2 - They said they were waiting on a check from a previous town i lived in (next town over from me) and i needed to submit a mental health check (if i didn't call, i would never of known) - sent everything over that same day.

Tomorrow will be 30 days (4/20) and i haven't heard anything since 4/2.

I'm going to call on Tuesday and see what the excuse is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panicbtn said:

Submitted online on 3/20

References 1 returned on 3/20.

Reference 2 returned on 3/23.

Emailed local police on 3/23 - They asked for a copy of my lease and other things. Sent over same day. 

Identgo (finger printed) on 3/25.

Criminal history check completed on 3/28.

Emailed local police on 4/2 - They said they were waiting on a check from a previous town i lived in (next town over from me) and i needed to submit a mental health check (if i didn't call, i would never of known) - sent everything over that same day.

Tomorrow will be 30 days (4/20) and i haven't heard anything since 4/2.

I'm going to call on Tuesday and see what the excuse is. 

Enjoy the blame game 

Just submitted for 3 permits now.. Wish me luck..

have a private sale pistol sitting at my FFL for about 5+ weeks now.. it was sitting on OGAM jail.. Came out of jail ON the saturday that NICS was shutdown that evening..   thought we snuck it in just in time. By the time it came back, gun stores were forced shut.. FFL was finally set to open and my last permit was about to expire. FFL had a sad and unfortunate death in the immediate family and had to postpone the transfer.. Permit expired in that time frame, so here i am.. waiting who knows how many more weeks just to pick up a used gun i bought end of february... ughhh

16 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Just submitted for 3 permits now.. Wish me luck..

have a private sale pistol sitting at my FFL for about 5+ weeks now.. it was sitting on OGAM jail.. Came out of jail ON the saturday that NICS was shutdown that evening..   thought we snuck it in just in time. By the time it came back, gun stores were forced shut.. FFL was finally set to open and my last permit was about to expire. FFL had a sad and unfortunate death in the immediate family and had to postpone the transfer.. Permit expired in that time frame, so here i am.. waiting who knows how many more weeks just to pick up a used gun i bought end of february... ughhh

that sux man.

HI, Question for the pros here. Does the 30 days start from when the background check/investigation goes through or when i submit the initial application? im getting the run around and their saying its when the back ground check/their investigation is complete. So they get to decide when the 30 days will start,.

14 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

CM, when did you apply?

Applied for 2:  3/12/20
Reference checks completed:  3/16/20
Criminal History Check completed:  4/17/20
Notification of process complete:  4/21/20
Notification by PD:  Yet to happen.
Permit pick up:  Yet to happen.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:59 PM, ChrisS said:

3/8: applied for 2 handgun permits. Referenced returned same day.

3/18: criminal background check came back good. 

4/2: called local PD to check status- was told it would be ready the following week. 

4/9: called to follow up- was told my permits are “all set” but have to be typed up and signed by the chief. The lady that types them has a reduced schedule so permits are backed up. “Should” be ready for pick up next week.

4/17: still no email or phone call saying my permits are ready. 

Got my email this morning saying the permits are ready. I’m going to call the PD on Monday to confirm. 48 days as of today. 50 for pick up on Monday. 

On 4/16/2020 at 12:55 PM, Pizza Bob said:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How can I check the status of NICS? I have applied online for pistol permit on April 1st and haven’t heard anything. My reference already submitted their part..,

I put my permit in on April 7th, my references replied back same day (great friends) and I have not heard back from the State Police yet. Worse thing is I just won an auction at Gunbroker for a S&W model 10-5 snub nose with no permit available. This sucks.

5 minutes ago, Smith said:

How can I check the status of NICS? I have applied online for pistol permit on April 1st and haven’t heard anything. My reference already submitted their part..,

NICS is not your issue, it's your local PD that is to blame.