dwheel

Pistol permit delay?

They just like me better. LOL. I was in and out of the parking lot in about 4 minutes. Very well orchestrated and executed. A lot of PD's around this state could learn a thing or two about firearms permitting from the Hopewell Twp PD.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

They just like me better. LOL. I was in and out of the parking lot in about 4 minutes. Very well orchestrated and executed. A lot of PD's around this state could learn a thing or two about firearms permitting from the Hopewell Twp PD.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good deal.  No if only my store contact would get back to me.

When I contacted kingswood, NJSP, they are saying have no clue. Firearm department is slowly processing the Applications. (Thanks much) however no further info is available. How long would it take? No idea ... while I understand special circumstances...I don’t know if they are processing Jan, feb, March of 1947 application? 

Applied & references completed March 19. Criminal History completed email on April 23. Standard "Approved email" May 2. Typically I get a phone call next, anywhere from 1 or 2 days to a week to ten days after the "Approved" email.

12 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

I guess no one contacted Firearms Policy Coalition to take them up on their offer? (posted in this thread Apr 16)

Not to be a naysayer, but what are they going to do? The process here in NJ is hardly transparent, so unless a PD or the NJSP put in writing that they aren't processing applications because of covid-19 (and that is what FPC is looking for), how are you going to prove it?

You know that the case that said the 30 day clock doesn't start until the PD has all the information needed to make a yay or nay determination is in hand, was ajudicated when fingerprint searches by the FBI were done manually - pre-AFIS, and that was usually the factor that delayed processing. With AFIS a fingerprint search results can be had in seconds, not weeks.

The next biggest bottleneck is the mental health check - which is why there is the question of where you have lived if not at your current address for at least 10 years. As I understood it, there was no centralized database of commitments for mental health reasons and thus a manual search had to be done in each county where the applicant resided (I have no idea what happened if the applicant resided out of state).

Apparently the new FARS process has surmounted that problem (or has it?) as processing is pretty timely. While things have gotten better under the FARS application process, it is still far from transparent and we still have the local PD doling out the permits, which just gives them the opportunity to procrastinate further.

I have heard a rumor that soon we will be going to electronic purchase permits. Once you have been notified that you are approved, your dealer can go into the system and "fill" your permit at the POP. Remains to be seen if this will help or hinder the process - should help if properly administered - and there's the rub.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Applied on -4/1, got my criminal clearance by 4/30 ( with online system it takes minutes, let’s consider special circumstances due to corona it might take weeks but whole month? Isn’t online system supposed to help expediting this...) and final approval and permit yet to come. While I understand special circumstances and delay and all that...what gets me irritated is the answer I am getting from NJSP.

Their answer is we don’t know where your application is and how long would it take to complete. 

I hope they are not keeping pile of application under the open sky and some alien come and grab them take them to some different solar system and go through them approve it or deny and come back to earth to place it back.

If they say it’s going to take six month I would still understand!!!

On 5/4/2020 at 1:47 PM, kc17 said:

Applied & references completed March 19. Criminal History completed email on April 23. Standard "Approved email" May 2. Typically I get a phone call next, anywhere from 1 or 2 days to a week to ten days after the "Approved" email.

Got the phone call to pick them up today. NJSP Sgt said normal procedure to pick them up, he "suggested" I wear a mask.

• Informative 1

Got email with update about my HG permit saying "Criminal History Check completed".

"You will be sent another email on completion of your application processing".

Anyone have any idea how long the next step takes?

I got the same email on 4/30. I am still waiting for final approval. Even after final email it takes them up to 10 days for getting permit ready to pick-up. Apparently it takes ever for this to finish this stupid thing in PRNJ...As per my little understanding from information on this forum they legally have to respond in 30 days after they have everything to make the final call... local PD are much better in certain area then state  PD in PRNJ!!!!

2 hours ago, Rickap7 said:

I rec email saying my criminal check was processes. I ask my PD what that meant and how long after I might get permit was told 3-4 month still :(.

Definitely call the ANJRPC and tell them . This is abuse of power plain & simple. My PD generally calls me before I even get the e-mail telling me the process is complete.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

Definitely call the ANJRPC and tell them . This is abuse of power plain & simple. My PD generally calls me before I even get the e-mail telling me the process is complete.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Because you're their best customer.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 9:15 AM, DaddyNick said:

The officer was honest about it. I could see into the back of the station and every administration desk was empty. Not even a dispatcher. I'm assuming the officers take turns answering the phone.  

Got email yesterday that permits are ready for pickup. 

So basically it took 60 days.  Usually takes 30-35.  Given circumstances I'm not really complaining. 

3 hours ago, Smith said:

Folks, it’s been 60 days since I applied for my permit and 30 days since I received back ground check clearance...Has anyone experienced this? What should be done for this? 

IMO, give them a bit of slack "during these unprecedented times," but don't let it go another week.  Call the non-emergency number for your PD and ask politely WTF is going on.

3 hours ago, Smith said:

Folks, it’s been 60 days since I applied for my permit and 30 days since I received back ground check clearance...Has anyone experienced this? What should be done for this? 

The background check clearance is not the end of the process. You have to get this e-mail...

Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit Application – Application Approved

YOUR NAME,

Confirmation Number: 2009XXXXXXX
Status Update: Approved. DO NOT APPEAR AT THE APPROVING POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY IT'S PERSONNEL TO RETRIEVE YOUR DOCUMENTS.
Issuing Police Department: YOUR PD and ORI number
Contact Phone for Issuing Police Department: YOUR PD's phone number

Your application for a New Jersey Firearm Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun(s) has been approved by the issuing authority. The physical card/permit must be obtained at your issuing police department (as indicated on your application).

Please be aware that to obtain this card/permit you must bring proof of identity (Picture ID with Name and Date of Birth) to the issuing police department.

If you haven't already made the payment to the Issuing Police Department, you will be required to pay the following fee in the form of check or money order. Cash may be used as a form of payment; however, check with the issuing police department.

Payment to the Issuing Police Department: AMOUNT YOU OWE for the permit(s)

If you have any further questions about the pick-up of your card/permit please contact your issuing police department.

See what else you can do online at www.NJ.gov.

NJ.gov - The official web site for the State of New Jersey

After you receive the above e-mail your PD should call you within a week. I just happen to be fortunate enough to live in a township where the PD is really on the ball and they notify me as soon as they're notified of my approval - which usually precedes the NJSP notification to me.

Hang in there - nobody said this would be easy. LOL

Adios,

Pizza Bob