RobCo

NICS is behind at least 1 to 2 days

There was never place on the "main page" were you could see where you were in the que.

We (Dealers) would call in, or go by the approval numbers and compare with other dealers to figure an approx. , but NICS Unit never had a listing for that .................

1 hour ago, JT Custom Guns said:

There was never place on the "main page" were you could see where you were in the que.

We (Dealers) would call in, or go by the approval numbers and compare with other dealers to figure an approx. , but NICS Unit never had a listing for that .................

I finally got  the call.

I'm just going by what the dealer told me. I have 0 experience with the system myself. 

Awesome. And I finally got the confirmation that my handgun permits are approved on Tuesday. Yesterday i got the letter that I can pick them up but need to make an appointment due to the 'current emergency situation and for the safety of the staff.' So now I have to wait until Tuesday. 

Might as well go ahead and apply for some more permits, since these'll probably be expired by the time I can use them. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, moparman426 said:

Might as well go ahead and apply for some more permits, since these'll probably be expired by the time I can use them. 

Don't forget that they can be extended to 180 days from date of issue at your CLEO's discretion.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

14 hours ago, 45Doll said:

SP-015 and SP-016. The two most useful forms the state of New Jermany has ever produced.

There are also continuation pages if all your handguns won't fit on the first one!

I have used them several times - for that matter I was going to use them this time (I had three guns at my FFL). I was advised against it at this point because of the backlog of regular applications. The MPE's (Multiple Purchase Exemption) are processed manually and take additional time even in the best of times. I heeded my FFL's advice and will be doing it one gun at a time within the OGAM framework. I need a little breather anyway. LOL

Adios,

Pizza Bob<----looking forward to June and July's guns

17 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

I have used them several times - for that matter I was going to use them this time (I had three guns at my FFL). I was advised against it at this point because of the backlog of regular applications. The MPE's (Multiple Purchase Exemption) are processed manually and take additional time even in the best of times. I heeded my FFL's advice and will be doing it one gun at a time within the OGAM framework. I need a little breather anyway. LOL

Adios,

Bob is 100% correct. I have explained to customers several times that if you are getting 1,2 or 3 guns - it will go faster one a month that waiting on the MGP exemption................

18 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Adios,

I agree. Even when things were working well I had to have at least four handguns in the pipe to make a MPE worthwhile. Three or less didn't seem worth it.

The only 'good' aspect of OGAM from my wallet's point of view is that it slowed me down! And made me more selective.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:17 PM, Golf battery said:

And don’t forget you can get an exemption to buy multiple pistols at one time.   Bob.  Whats the form numbers?   

Yes, in theory - I have three people waiting on exemptions now, some as far back as mid February. Apparently the FIU is working from home right now and not processing any exemption applications. Normally they are approved in more or less 30 days.

SP 015 and SP 016 (both Rev 07/2012). You will need to know the serial numbers of the guns and the FFL's federal and state license numbers. The FFL needs to sign the 016 and the applicant the 015. The MPE can be used anytime, regardless of when your last purchase was made under OGAM, however, the 30 day clock resets with the use of the MPE.

As has been pointed out - best to just go with OGAM at this time.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

On 5/22/2020 at 10:48 AM, Pizza Bob said:

Picked up a gun on Wednesday. NICS came back in a day and a half.

Upstate NY took about 5 minutes yesterday afternoon.

11 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

That's because NJ is a POC state and NY isn't.

That's why I almost exclusively purchase firearms in NY. No fee for NICS, no OGAM, much better pricing. I would like to support a NJ dealer but NJ makes it financially imprudent to do so and the dealers I patronize in NY are my local dealers when I'm residing up here.

11 hours ago, brucin said:

That's why I almost exclusively purchase firearms in NY. No fee for NICS, no OGAM, much better pricing. I would like to support a NJ dealer but NJ makes it financially imprudent to do so and the dealers I patronize in NY are my local dealers when I'm residing up here.

Don't you need pre-approval for any handgun you buy in NY?

25 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Don't you need pre-approval for any handgun you buy in NY?

I wouldn't call it pre-approval. You purchase the handgun and bring the receipt to the sheriff's office and the next day you go back to the Sheriff's office and pick up your amended permit and a coupon to give to the dealer when you pick up the handgun. This process is currently being done through the mail due to covid-19 so it takes a few days.

That is the process in Fulton Co. Some NY counties take much longer to amend a permit and I have heard that some counties are not doing amendments at all at this time.

12 hours ago, brucin said:

I wouldn't call it pre-approval. You purchase the handgun and bring the receipt to the sheriff's office and the next day you go back to the Sheriff's office and pick up your amended permit and a coupon to give to the dealer when you pick up the handgun. This process is currently being done through the mail due to covid-19 so it takes a few days.

That is the process in Fulton Co. Some NY counties take much longer to amend a permit and I have heard that some counties are not doing amendments at all at this time.

I've heard some counties can take up to four months to do this - and this was pre covid-19. I've also been told stories that you need to bring the handgun from the dealer to the police after you pick it up to "verify" the serial number with the police in some counties.

Additionally it seems some counties charge a fee to remove a handgun from your permit when you sell it.  Sounds to me like your county is much better than most in NY.

There is a fee to add/remove a handgun. It's $8. I guess that's to cover the cost of issuing you a new card which lists all the handguns you own make, model, caliber, and serial number. This authorizes you to carry any of those handguns. 

Fulton Co. will also let you co register your handguns with your spouse so we both have all our handguns on each other's permits.

The NY system while still an infringement on a right is far better than Nj's paper permit for every purchase.