Cheflife15

Favorite gun range middlesex county

New to shooting, so im looking to take a beginner class and then hopefully join once this covid is done.

Ive heard of long wait times at alot of ranges? Id like one where you can either book slots or the waits are minimal (if this exists) 

Thank you!

Cheflife15  welcome, and best of luck. your in the right forum, great and helpful people with lots of knowledge. 

I'm from Middlesex County, now in Somerset.  The closest public ranges... from piscataway / somerset area.  Tactical Training Center in Flemington.  RTSP in Union. I've yet to go to RSTP in union, but plan to once this covid19 is over.  Both offer courses,  depends where in middlesex county you are I guess.  I heard there's going to be another range sometime in the near future built behind Hadley Center.  But don't believe they broke ground yet.  Regarding wait times at the range you can book appointments if your willing to pay.  Certain tier memberships have perks.

..I haven't experienced horrible wait times.  The longest at either of these ranges were hr tops.  I never go peak hrs though.   

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Family1st said:

Cheflife15  welcome, and best of luck. your in the right forum, great and helpful people with lots of knowledge. 

I'm from Middlesex County, now in Somerset.  The closest public ranges... from piscataway / somerset area.  Tactical Training Center in Flemington.  RTSP in Union. I've yet to go to RSTP in union, but plan to once this covid19 is over.  Both offer courses,  depends where in middlesex county you are I guess.  I heard there's going to be another range sometime in the near future built behind Hadley Center.  But don't believe they broke ground yet.  Regarding wait times at the range you can book appointments if your willing to pay.  Certain tier memberships have perks.

..I haven't experienced horrible wait times.  The longest at either of these ranges were hr tops.  I never go peak hrs though.   

What is generally peak hours? Im a chef so id probably go 9-11 am monday to friday

6 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

New to shooting, so im looking to take a beginner class and then hopefully join once this covid is done.

Ive heard of long wait times at alot of ranges? Id like one where you can either book slots or the waits are minimal (if this exists) 

Thank you!

There are no commercial ranges fully constructed (and have passed inspections prior to Covid-19) in Middlesex County.  Without knowing where in the county you are, I can only tell you that several exist out of county.

Inside Middlesex County you have Union Hill Gun Club on Union Hill Road in Monroe Twp. close to the Manalapan border.  They host R.O.C. Training in their range building, and are a private shooting club.  Legend Firearms (FFL) is also housed under the same roof.

Additionally, once you're comfortable with firearms, the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club offers extensive opportunities with all 3 popular shooting platforms (rifle, pistol, shotgun), utilizing both indoor and outdoor range facilities.  Their shooting leagues will make you a better shooter be it on paper, steel or clay bird!  A very unique offering and the only one of its kind in Middlesex County.

If I can be of any further assistance, do not hesitate to tag me.

Rosey

• Thanks 1

I am in Middlesex Co. & have been a member at RTSP for a little over a year. I originally joined at the Union location in January 2019, & renewed this year, about 2 months before this corona virus BS started & Gov Horse face shut everything down. I will definitely make a trip back there as soon as possible after Horse Face reopens everything. The Union location is a really great facility, & only about 11 miles right down 22 east. I have never been to the Tactical Training Center in Flemington, so I cannot say anything about their facility. 

When I do get back to RTSP, I have to get out my new Ruger SR 1911 & Springfield Armory XD M, both in 10mm auto that I bought last fall, but did not have a chance to get to the range to try them out, so I am ready to go whenever it is possible.   

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2020 at 2:30 PM, 1brentenfan said:

I am in Middlesex Co. & have been a member at RTSP for a little over a year. I originally joined at the Union location in January 2019, & renewed this year, about 2 months before this corona virus BS started & Gov Horse face shut everything down. I will definitely make a trip back there as soon as possible after Horse Face reopens everything. The Union location is a really great facility, & only about 11 miles right down 22 east. I have never been to the Tactical Training Center in Flemington, so I cannot say anything about their facility. 

When I do get back to RTSP, I have to get out my new Ruger SR 1911 & Springfield Armory XD M, both in 10mm auto that I bought last fall, but did not have a chance to get to the range to try them out, so I am ready to go whenever it is possible.   

Curious if you can tell me how busy it usually gets. Again, im a chef, so ill probably be going Monday or Tuesday mornings at 11 am or as close to opening. Im rather oblivious as to what to expect. Thank you

5 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

I am also a member of UHGC that was described above.  I have never encountered a wait at any time day, night, or weekend. Plus as a member you have 24 hour access.

Ill check this place out as well. It would be cool to be able to go at any time of day. So ranges are just open 24 hours? Do you get a scan card or something?

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

Ill check this place out as well. It would be cool to be able to go at any time of day. So ranges are just open 24 hours? Do you get a scan card or something?

Thats how it works with OBRPC — scan your card and the door unlocks, sign in and shoot

sign out and turn off the lights on your way out

maybe 50% of the time I’m there I have the range to myself

1 minute ago, Heavyopp said:

Thats how it works with OBRPC — scan your card and the door unlocks, sign in and shoot

sign out and turn off the lights on your way out

maybe 50% of the time I’m there I have the range to myself

Very cool. Maybe ill just do a month at rtsp and then ill feel more confident to do the "shooting" part at the obrpc. 

7 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Re: UHGC-  they have a fingerprint reader that opens the building door and range door. Bathrooms are accessible as well. 
Upstairs is the 15 port 25yard handgun range. That is open during normal business hours only.   Downstairs is the 15 port 45 yard range which is 7x24.

• Thanks 1

The orientation at OBRPC should not be your 1st time handling a handgun — you need to be familiar with whatever you bring

You do not need to be an expert either, just have to be competent, show a willingness to take direction, and be SAFE

I’m guessing you have 1 handgun — can I ask what handgun you have? 

4 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

The orientation at OBRPC should not be your 1st time handling a handgun — you need to be familiar with whatever you bring

You do not need to be an expert either, just have to be competent, show a willingness to take direction, and be SAFE

I’m guessing you have 1 handgun — can I ask what handgun you have? 

Right now i have a cz75 sp01 tactical. Ive been practicing safe trigger dicipline and have been dry firing it with snap caps. 

I also have a walther ppq match that i should be able to pick up in a couple weeks. 

1 minute ago, Heavyopp said:

Nice gun,  long trigger pull

Ever handled a 1911?

I have not. As far as the trigger pull I was debating sending it to cajun gun works after I put a couple thousand rounds through it. I would probably fire it in single action at the range. 

39 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

That one of the great thing about being a gun club member — you can shoot most anything you see on the range,  just ask 

Thats exciting. Im definitely going to head over there after a month or so of really getting familiar with my pistols. I appreciate your help. 

On 5/1/2020 at 11:53 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Curious if you can tell me how busy it usually gets. Again, im a chef, so ill probably be going Monday or Tuesday mornings at 11 am or as close to opening. Im rather oblivious as to what to expect. Thank you

The couple of times that I have been to RTSP in Union, I did not have to wait at all, just went to the counter with my membership card, and got right onto the range. I was on the range about 1 1/2 hours with no problem. The range safety officers there are great. I like to go there on Sunday morning, arriving about 10 am, & get on the range a few minutes later, & usually shoot until 11:30, as I will bring a few diferent pistols, & ammo for each one.