carl_g

Black Rifle Coffee Company - any good?

I was going to order some coffee from this company last night. When I got to the check out, the price ended up being just shy of 20 bucks for one bag of their JB(just black) coffee.

Is this stuff any good? I am onboard with supporting a veteran owned company and all but the price seems pretty steep to me. I know they try to get you into a subscription model and that waves your shipping but I wanted to get some feedback on the coffee itself. Anyone? https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

I subscribed for a while and IMHO the coffee was good but not great. I currently have some really good stuff that runs about $13/lb so the BRCC stuff at $17/lb (that isn’t even as good) didn’t make sense unless I was solely doing it to support the company. 

• Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I subscribed for a while and IMHO the coffee was good but not great. I currently have some really good stuff that runs about $13/lb so the BRCC stuff at $17/lb (that isn’t even as good) didn’t make sense unless I was solely doing it to support the company. 

Good feedback. Thanks! Care to share what you are drinking today? We have been using Joffery’s Coffee (https://www.joffreys.com/) out of Tampa, Florida. Their Jamaican Blend (Jamaican me crazy) is super good!

BRCC is excellent coffee, you just have to find the one for you.  I found a couple to be very strong and a little bitter, apparently, some folks like it that way.  Probably reminds them of the old days when mom would pan roast coffee beans, or something.  I liked JB and TBL the best, Blackbeard and AK was a little to strong for my taste.

It is more expensive because it supports a cause, so you are not JUST buying coffee.  Save a couple dollars and enrich some multinational conglomerate, or support an American veteran owned company.

They sent me some decals with my first order.  I put one on my car, and have not been pulled over since.  Just say'n.  It all balances out.

Sent you a coupon code I got emailed the other day.

Right now at work, I have AK47 Espresso and CAF, but unfortunately I can't get there. Those are by far my two favorites. I did place an order for some Silencer Smooth to give it another go. Giving lighter roasts a try these days.

As @Scorpio64 said, the extra money is because you are supporting a small business. Also for every bag you buy, they send a bag to first responders. Other times they send a bag to soldiers downrange.

51 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Good feedback. Thanks! Care to share what you are drinking today? We have been using Joffery’s Coffee (https://www.joffreys.com/) out of Tampa, Florida. Their Jamaican Blend (Jamaican me crazy) is super good!

I like Peet’s House Blend, my wife likes Major Dickason so we compromise and drink Major Dickason. It’s dark but sooo rich and not bitter. 

Peet’s is a hard left Cali company which...ehh...but it’s good coffee

When I was with BRCC I did Beyond Black

I started drinking BRC a couple of years ago.  It is little pricey, so at first I just drank it on my days off, when I could savor it for a longer time.  I quickly got to liking it so much that I switched to having it every day

Despite its higher price, it actually saves me money, as I used to frequently drink Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, but now I enjoy my BRC so much that I rarely have coffee out.  At $2- 4  per cup for coffee out, the savings on not spending that more than pays for my BRC.

I agree with others who say that you need to try different blends to find the ones that you like the best.  I am constantly experimenting with different ones

Pro tip:  They don't advertise it, but if you order beyond a certain amount (somewhere around $75), they don't charge for shipping, so I always stock up when I buy it.  

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, tomk62 said:

I had a subscription from Oct 2016 until Aug 2019 for 2 bags a month of Just Black for $24.99 - and checking prices now it's still $12.50 a bag with a subscription.  

@carl_g where are you seeing "just under $20 a bag"?

To be specific it is $18.94 shipped

Really liked their coffee but don't buy it all the time.  You have to sample a few different roasts to see what fits your taste.  Definitely support the cause and try to order from time to time.

As mentioned above, I have to admit that Pete's is pretty damn good.  Another great selection is Old City Coffee out of the public market in Philly.  The wife and I were walking through one day and had some of their expresso and loved it.  They ship anywhere and when you order you select the type of grind you want (fine, coarse, medium, etc) to best fit the machine you're using.

3 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

Really liked their coffee but don't buy it all the time.  You have to sample a few different roasts to see what fits your taste.  Definitely support the cause and try to order from time to time.

As mentioned above, I have to admit that Pete's is pretty damn good.  Another great selection is Old City Coffee out of the public market in Philly.  The wife and I were walking through one day and had some of their expresso and loved it.  They ship anywhere and when you order you select the type of grind you want (fine, coarse, medium, etc) to best fit the machine you're using.

I need to check out "Old City Coffee" I would also like to support a Philly Business. Thank you!

So to circle back to this, I got a pound of the JB "Just Black" coffee. It's a solid regular coffee. Even the wife likes it. I also really like the way the package is designed with the ziploc at the top to reseal.. that is a great idea. My only gripe is that it took forever to get here.. Almost 2 weeks with regular ground shipping from Nevada? If they could get it here sooner I would probably order it more often.

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

That's kind of unusual.  I order from them a lot, spend enough at a time to get free shipping, and usually get my coffee within a week.  Carl_g, JB is one of my favorites, but there are a number of other solid ones as well.  

yeah I'll give them another shot and see if it was just a fluke.

We are members of their coffee club. I think we get 2 bags every two weeks. The shipping got a little screwy at the beginning of this mess. Good company, does a lot of good beside the good coffee. Been doing Just Black the last couple of months, also like CAF, Coffee or Die, and AK-47.

• Like 2

FYI - RTSP in Union was selling various blends of Black Rifle Coffee from BRCC at their in-house coffee bar.  Unfortunately, they have temporarily shut down their coffee bar during the COVID-19 closures, but will most likely reopen once NJ allows indoor gun ranges to reopen.

AVB-AMG

I bought my wife a nespresso machine for Mother’s Day. So far it’s alright but the pods cost $1-2/each which is double what I was paying for keurig cups. I’m still looking for reusable pods, but I haven’t found anything yet. 

I grew up with this being a fixture on the stove..

C3E695D2-65CD-4E91-9124-FFDAA4F30128.jpeg.0366c7ac182e3ab8dd963ddaa29a8286.jpeg