carl_g

Black Rifle Coffee Company - any good?

I like Silencer Smooth. It's a light roast and probably closest to a breakfast blend, which I prefer. If you sign up for their coffee club I believe you save 20%. 

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/products/silencer-smooth-coffee-blend?variant=3921423107#

Do you guys do whole bean or ground?  I was doing whole bean on the thought that by grinding fresh each time it would be the best tasting coffee, but honestly I'm not sure I noticed a difference.

25 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I like Silencer Smooth. It's a light roast and probably closest to a breakfast blend, which I prefer. If you sign up for their coffee club I believe you save 20%. 

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/products/silencer-smooth-coffee-blend?variant=3921423107#

That's what's in my BRCC mug right now. The name is quite accurate. It's very smooth and doesn't taste super bitter (I drink it black and strong).

When I go back to the lab tomorrow, I'm definitely snagging my boxes of AK47 espresso and CAF blend.

10 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Do you guys do whole bean or ground?  I was doing whole bean on the thought that by grinding fresh each team it would be the best tasting coffee, but honestly I'm not sure I noticed a difference.

I've done both. I've ground up beans and french pressed it. I've ground it up and just used a normal drip pot. I've done regular grounds in a drip pot. I've done k-cups. Grind up beans and french pressing definitely is most flavorful, but I can do a k-cup and still be extremely happy with how my cup of coffee tastes.

2 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Do you guys do whole bean or ground?  I was doing whole bean on the thought that by grinding fresh each team it would be the best tasting coffee, but honestly I'm not sure I noticed a difference.

Grinding whole bean forever. Have had at least 25-30 grinders, some real fancy some cheap. Anyone else remember the coffee grinder machines at the checkouts at A&P? As far as bang for the buck, 8'oclock coffee (whole bean) is STILL the champ. The Italian Espresso roast is very good and comparable or better than small roasters (BRC, Rook, Buddy Brew, etc.) Not a lot of indies do a great dark roast, and many times they dry out the beans too much. Costco has a rotating lineup of whole beans which can be hit or miss. Best coffee I had was 100% Kona I had got from a small place that sold in the Pearl Harbor exchange. When it was gone that was it till the next year.

Blue Mountain from Jamaica is really good, but costs a fortune unless you happen to be passing through Kingston for the duty free bags.  But you really don't want to be in Kingston. Ever.

The Maui k-cups are pretty good at home for the price, but Wawa has a good selection for a buck a cup (any size)/ The Ethiopia blend is really good there for a mid-range strength.  But now you have to order a cup behind plexiglass and the selection is reduced for the time being.

37 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Blue Mountain from Jamaica is really good, but costs a fortune unless you happen to be passing through Kingston for the duty free bags.  But you really don't want to be in Kingston. Ever.

The Maui k-cups are pretty good at home for the price, but Wawa has a good selection for a buck a cup (any size)/ The Ethiopia blend is really good there for a mid-range strength.  But now you have to order a cup behind plexiglass and the selection is reduced for the time being.

Wawa is actually re-opening self-serve coffee.

I signed up for their club on Friday. Two 12oz random bags once per month, $24.99 all in. I'm the only  coffee drinker in the house except for occasional guests, so I figured the two per month would be fine. Will save me money in the long run compared to buying every day. They sent the email by the end of Friday saying my order shipped. 

FedEx originally said it would be delivered Sunday. On Monday they sent notification it was delivered when it wasn't. After further investigation I discovered it was delivered to the local USPS. When UPS does that, their tracking info remains accurate, but I guess FedEx can't figure out how to do that. USPS delivered it today.

Anyway, my two bags are "Liberty" and "AK Espresso", both labeled as a Medium Roast. They included one sticker and my wife got a kick out of the "Coffee or Die" slogan on the box. 

I plan to wait until my next home day to try them. Currently I brew the pot, pour into a Thermos and drink it when I get to work. No waiting around, I'm typically out the door in under an hour of getting out of bed. By the time I got to work and tried it I'd be SOL if I hated it. 

On 5/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, tomk62 said:

Do you guys do whole bean or ground?  I was doing whole bean on the thought that by grinding fresh each time it would be the best tasting coffee, but honestly I'm not sure I noticed a difference.

I personally buy the whole beans and grind them myself and drip. I am sure getting it already ground would be fine. I would not entertain k-cups but that’s just my opinion.

I'm drinking the "AK Espresso" now, black no sugar. It's different, not bad, not outstanding. It does taste better than it smells.

BRC was getting on my nerves with aggressive marketing emails. They did stop as soon as I changed my subscription preferences. Some companies give you that BS that it takes a week or five to remove you from the lists. I don't want/need their app on my phone or t-shirts or stickers, or Op Ed pieces. I just need/want coffee.

52 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Ok, that was pretty good.

Following up on my earlier review of their "Liberty" it's much better at 125% of my normal amount of grounds. 

I’ve always been a heaping tablespoonful per cup and one for good measure

This month's order arrived with two bags and another sticker on Friday. I had the dark roast "Beyond Black" yesterday and drinking a medium roast "Just Black" now. Both are decent; Just Black has more flavor than the Liberty. I can't say that I have a favorite of the four I've had so far; but I would put the Liberty at the bottom. Even then, the Liberty is not bad, it's just weaker than I prefer.

I discovered they have numerous partner discounts as a perk of being in the club as well. I already used one to save $30 on an order, at $25 a month for the coffee, I'm $5 ahead. The club is still cheaper and easier than going to Wawa every day also.

• Like 1

This month's order arrived yesterday. I must say I'm slightly bummed, they sent another bag of "AK Espresso", which was in my first order. I had reached out to them via chat last week asking about the "Best of Subscription" and I was told I would not see a repeat until I'd gone through all of them once. The second bag was new to me, "Freedom Fuel" which they classify as a dark roast. No sticker this month, not a big deal to me.

I think the "Freedom Fuel" is the closest to just plain coffee so far. Slightly ironic, since they have one called "Just Black". Of the five I've had so far, I'd keep "Liberty" at the bottom and "AK Espresso" would be forth. The other three are tougher to rate, if forced to rate them I think it'd be "Freedom Fuel", "Beyond Black" then "Just Black" in third.

Two coworkers have taken up BRC as well. One is on a subscription plan for the K-Cups. I'm not sure if the other is on a plan or not and if he ordered grounds as well, but he did bring in a "Beyond Black" K-Cup for me to try. I have to say it was as good as traditional brew. From prior experience I've found K-Cups to be not as good as traditional brew, so it was a pleasant surprise.  I think I'll be ordering some K-Cups to keep at work, replacing the Wawa K-Cups I currently use.