Rickap7

Looking for 1st Gun

I've had a G19 since 2012.  While I don't shoot it much, I do enjoy it and am fairly accurate with it.  I'd suggest that once the lockdown is lifted, you find a range that has both as rentals and try them both concurrently.  When you decide, you can use the forum's price request for our vendors / sponsors here:  https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/forms/2-handgun-price-request/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forums. Suggest you introduce yourself in the Introductions area.

There are many fine brands and models of handguns.  I chose the Glock 19 as my first new handgun after being dormant in this hobby for many years.  I now own it for 6 years and remain very happy with my purchase.  It is my primary HD handgun.   My reasons for the purchase included  rock solid dependability, great availability of magazines, and availability of replacement parts and accessories. I have since also acquired a G34 and G26.  Mags also interchangeable (G17/34–>G19–>G26).

so imho a good choice for your first handgun.  With that said, there are many other fine choices. And as suggested above, it is desirable to rent and shoot a variety of firearms before making a final decision.  You need to see how it feels in your hand during recoil.   For example, I rented an H&K 9mm several years ago and discovered the trigger hurt my finger under recoil.

Howell Gun Works is in Route 9 Southbound, just north of I-195.  Google it. I think it is closet to you.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

The Glock is great if you want something basic that you can customize to hell. There never seems to be an end to the aftermarket accessories that go with Glocks.

I personally don't have one because it's not my style, but it's hard to argue against aftermarket support. I prefer to spend the extra cash and get something nicer. It's all personal preference though.

• Thanks 1

Your list consists of 2 $325- ish guns and the $550-ish Glock 19.

If you can swing the Glock, that would be the choice. Many aftermarket parts, holsters etc. Magazines are available everywhere for reasonable prices. The Glock has legendary reliability.

I am sure the Ruger is a fine gun and they have a great reputation for customer service. Taurus has a hit or miss reputation for reliability.

Yes, the Glock is more money, but it is the gold standard in its class.

As the old saying goes.... "Buy once, cry once"...buy the best you can now even if it hurts a little. If you go with a cheaper option that you don't really want as bad, you likely will eventually trade up to what you should have bought in the first place.

EDIT>>> I would add....Go to a shop and handle as many guns as you can. Some people don't care for the ergos of the Glock. I am one of them. I prefer the Sig P320 Compact (similar in size to the G19). Try out a bunch of similarly sized 9mm guns and see what fits your hand the best. Odds are, if it feels good in your hand, you will shoot it better.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum.  All three guns are very popular.  I don't own a Glock but their solid reputation speaks for itself.  I've had a Taurus PT 99 for 25 years and has been very reliable.  It has a lifetime warranty.  I don't you could go wrong with any type of Ruger.  I own three and they're built like tanks.

Ultimately, it will come down to what feels good to you and how well you can shoot it.

I agree with trying before buying, went with a glock because everyone said they were great, bought it, shot it for a while, Hated it, Sold it, Not saying it's not a good gun, just wasn't for me. End up with The HK VP9 and Betetta 92 as 2 of my Favs.

Two totally different guns and I enjoy both.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dajonga said:

EDIT>>> I would add....Go to a shop and handle as many guns as you can. Some people don't care for the ergos of the Glock. I am one of them. I prefer the Sig P320 Compact (similar in size to the G19). Try out a bunch of similarly sized 9mm guns and see what fits your hand the best. Odds are, if it feels good in your hand, you will shoot it better.

That's pretty much why I won't get a Glock. I don't like the blocky feel.

My Walther P22 is super comfy. I like my wife's Baretta M9A1. Might go with a Rock Island 1911 for my next one though Sig's are fantastic.

M&P 2.0 Compact in either 3.6" or 4.0" would be my Glock.  Better Grip and better sights and typcially $100 cheaper and same quality as Glock... American-made... and, just feels better.  If you are on a budget, I would get a used Glock in good condition over the Ruger or Taurus.  

• Like 1

Glock 19 is a staple with many gun owners and no worries there.

For Glock there s lots of  parts and easy to work on/disassemble and replace work out parts.

If you have multiple licenses use them. Over time you ll probably buy different caliber guns as well. All depends why you got into gun ownership.

Ultimately after firing thousands of rounds you adapt to any gun. Any price difference you save now will diminish over time and you ll find out that the gun price is the least you ll spend in this hobby There s also: gas,time,range fees,ammo,accessories etc.....

Do choose a gun that fits your hand the best though and that you re most comfortable with. 

My recommendation for a gun store in your area would be Steve at Monmouth Arms.

http://www.monmoutharms.com/in-stock-inventory/

172 US 9
Englishtown NJ 07726

You need to put each of the em in your hand and feel em and even better yet rent and shoot em. If you can't shoot them before you buy, at least see how they fit your hand and see which sights they come with and how you like them. Also, not all triggers are created equal and that should also impact your decision. Bottom line, try to shoot as many different guns as you can before you decide to buy. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:16 AM, Rickap7 said:

Looking at the Glock 19 and Taurus G3 as well as Ruger Security 9.

Any suggestion and help is appreciated

Looking for best place to purchase one I'm in Freehold/Marlboro area.

Steve at http://www.monmoutharms.com is great, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

As for the choice of handgun check out the Smith & Wesson M&P9 M2.0 Compact.

Its Glock 19 size but more comfortable in the hand, interchangeable backstraps and better sights for less money that the G19.

The Ruger and especially Taurus are second tier weapons in my opinion.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, tomk62 said:

All great advice so far.

+1 on Howell Gun Works.

Agreed! My first gun was a VP9 from Howell Gun Works. For a first time buyer, I HIGHLY recommend them! I was able to put a bunch of guns in my hands and see what felt best. I haven't been there since moving to SC, but their selection on 9 mm handguns was very good when I lived in the area.

For central NJ, I can also recommend Monmouth Arms since they tended to have better prices, but Steve didn't have the selection of HGW, which I think is important if you aren't sure what you want. Again, may be different now...