45Doll

Gun Ownership In America Since 1980

The Rand Corporation has released a report on gun ownership in America. It reports on ownership as a percentage of population basis, and also tracks the ownership percentage from 1980 through 2016.

NJ and HI are tied at the bottom around 8%. Montana is alone at the top at 64%.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Zeke If you go to the State Level Estimates section, they included other data besides background checks. But certainly this report is a 'model' that draws conclusions. And as such leaves a lot of room variance. As we have recently seen!

Family heirlooms, undocumented transfers (both legal and illegal), everything bought prior to 1980... all up for grabs.

Also, if/when surveyed, how many gunowners prefer to remain anonymous?

Personally I only read the report for state comparisons, not absolute levels. 

• Agree 2

I bet it's a fairly accurate reflection. Hunting is down and the country is more urbanized.

If it doesn't include granddaddy's shotgun in the attic or some other antique, so what.

NJ and other Dems read these surveys and act accordingly, knowing they can ride roughshod on gun owners with little to no consequences.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 2:21 PM, father-of-three said:

The beauty of gun ownership in this country is that it is quite difficult to accurately track.  However, studies like these are interesting to read.

Another source for gun ownership is the Crime Prevention Research Center run by Dr. John Lott.  They have taken a lot of the bias out of the equation when running a survey.  Even if people, who answer the survey, know who Dr. Lott is, they will still be reluctant to give an honest answer.  After all, the government doesn't need to know what they have.

The Center's concealed carry report comes out every September.

https://crimeresearch.org/2018/03/problems-with-using-the-general-social-survey-to-measure-gun-ownership/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

Another source for gun ownership is the Crime Prevention Research Center run by Dr. John Lott.  They have taken a lot of the bias out of the equation when running a survey.  Even if people, who answer the survey, know who Dr. Lott is, they will still be reluctant to give an honest answer.  After all, the government doesn't need to know what they have.

The Center's concealed carry report comes out every September.

https://crimeresearch.org/2018/03/problems-with-using-the-general-social-survey-to-measure-gun-ownership/

@45Doll this is better data

18 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

8% of Jerseyians own guns.  Population of New Jersey is over 8 million.   1 million gun owners in New Jersey.   Go to a pro 2A rally, 500 show up.   

8% of 8 million is not 1 million. Maybe 639.,500 of the 640,000 realize that you can't overcome a Dem Gov & Legislature. Just saying. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, SJG said:

8% of 8 million is not 1 million. Maybe 639.,500 of the 640,000 realize that you can't overcome a Dem Gov & Legislature. Just saying. 

The population is closer to 9 million, which is why I said 1 million.  But my math, which is usually good, sucked right there. 

• Informative 1

On 4/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, tomk62 said:

I would like to see this overlaid with gun crimes - the anti-2A thinking is that lower ownership should result in lower crimes, right?

Gun control and crime rates don't correlate. There are states with lots of gun control and low crime rates, and states with little gun control and low crime rate. Also states with lots of gun control and high crime rates, and states with little gun control and high crime rates. 

And by crime rates, I mean violent crime rates. 

1 minute ago, raz-0 said:

Gun control and crime rates don't correlate. There are states with lots of gun control and low crime rates, and states with little gun control and low crime rate. Also states with lots of gun control and high crime rates, and states with little gun control and high crime rates. 

And by crime rates, I mean violent crime rates. 

I agree - but I wasn't equating measurements of gun control with ownership ... and your comment also helps my point against the anti's that gun control has no correlation to crime.  The anti's have a fake message of "safety" when it's really all about control.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, Ray Ray said:

8% of Jerseyians own guns.  Population of New Jersey is over 8 million.   1 million gun owners in New Jersey.   Go to a pro 2A rally, 500 show up.   

Some part of it is simply that we are working. The lefties who sit around all day waiting for their government cheese have plenty of time to fill out surveys and go to rallies. 

Just now, Handyman said:

Some part of it is simply that we are working.

Take a day off to support the 2A.  Nope

Take a day off to do other important things.  YUP 

• Like 1

Unless you can get a count of active FID's from public records, getting an accurate number here is like pinning a grain of sand. 

March 2020 NJ NICS was the largest number of firearms I've seen transacted in a while. 

Another factor you need to account for is the scores of thousands who leave this state every year. Many folks leaving are >50 years of age. How many of those folks owned firearms? Are their numbers being replaced by new residents who purchase the same amount firearms? We'll never know.