FishNHard

Online permit forms question.

So I want to get 2 more pistol permits and called my PD and said I can do it online so I went to https://www.strpd.us/firearms/ and scrolled down to handgun permits , I have not done this process before always picked up and dropped of forms before , have any of you done the online permit thing and if so can you give an idea of what all I need to do Thanks John

15 hours ago, FishNHard said:

So I want to get 2 more pistol permits and called my PD and said I can do it online so I went to https://www.strpd.us/firearms/ and scrolled down to handgun permits , I have not done this process before always picked up and dropped of forms before , have any of you done the online permit thing and if so can you give an idea of what all I need to do Thanks John

It is interesting that South Tom's River says that "Applicants can only make application for up to 3 handgun purchaser permits at a time." Every other municipality I've looked at says "there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for." Is there anything in the statutes that talks about this? I haven't seen anything.

I went to the website linked in your post and found only the old hard copy forms. The process now is done entirely on-line. Go here and follow the instructions...

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS

You will need to know your municipality's ORI code. This may be it, but someone on here from there should confirm...

NJ0150800

That's for Toms River Twp.

You'll also need a credit card.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

5 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

It is interesting that South Tom's River says that "Applicants can only make application for up to 3 handgun purchaser permits at a time." Every other municipality I've looked at says "there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for." Is there anything in the statutes that talks about this? I haven't seen anything.

There was actually a directive sent out by either the NJSP or the state AG's office that police departments cannot restrict the number of permits applied for. The website linked to in the OP is so outdated as to be laughable.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well I guess it is all done online now, but theoretically you could use (5) permits if you purchased things one after another and there wasn't much of a lag time for the instant NICs to go through.  However, I believe police departments may have discretion whether they will renew past the 90 days for an additional 90 days.  If they don't do that, then you would not be able to use the additional permits.  At $2.00 a pop (if that is still the cost) you wouldn't be out much.  But if our tyrannically-minded governor and his government changes that it could be a substantial loss.  Other than that, if you were getting a set or inheritance you could apply for waiving the 30 day requirement for handguns.  Not sure how that works out with the new online process, though, and not sure how easy it is to actually do that.  

• Like 1

@Underdog- First, yes the 90 day extension is at the discretion of the CLEO of the issuing authority - not something the governor could change, it is statutory. Some departments are actually automatically issuing the permits for the full 180 days, from the git-go.

The need for more permits than you could use in 90 days (or 180 days) stems from the Multiple Purchase Exemption (MPE). You can purchase an unlimited number of handguns using the MPE, but you still need to have an individual permit for each one. I have used MPE's several times - sometimes for two guns and the most was four guns. It takes some time for a MPE to be approved, and that was during normal times. I hate to think how long the process would be now, I currently have three guns at my FFL, but will probably get those one at a time. Thought I was going to add one to that, but the deal fell through this morning.

EDITED TO ADD: An MPE can be used at anytime, regardless of when your last purchase under OGAM was made. However, once the MPE is used it starts the 30 day OGAM clock.

Adios,

Pizza Bob