revenger

brass cleaning

I experimented with the wet tumbling method of brass cleaning utilizing the Lemishine and Dawn dish detergent as seen on youtube without the steel pins and the results were great.

I have an old RCBS sidewinder that I have been using with walnut since 1987 and it gets to be a pain having to clear the media out of the flashholes.  This wet method will be my new way of processing my brass.   even the insides are clean and shiny as well as the primer pockets

give it a try and see for your self,   I did about 100 .223 yesterday and today i'll do the rest of my .45AR and ACP.  The brass looks brand new.

small spoon of Lemishine

a drop of Dawn,    it really suds up

I tumbled for about 1 hr

drained the mix into my sifter

dried in oven at 175 for about 20 minutes.,   I'll let it sit for a few days to make sure there is no moisture and than prime and load.

on a side note I have been getting alot of stuck .223 cases in my RCBS small base die and just got my delivery of the Redding Imperial sizing lube which is highly recommended,  I'll finish my .223 brass today and give a report. 

I use stainless steel media. I haven't had any issues with it getting stuck in flashholes like you do with walnut. I initially just used dishwasher detergent and it worked, but lately I've started adding a tidbit of Lemishine and the brass looks brand spanking new.

Got a food dehydrator too for cheap that I can stick my brass in and ensure it's dry.

And for the most ridiculous containers for holding brass, I've been using Utz pretzel containers. The ones for pretzel rods. I put my brass in there, throw in some packets of desiccant, and put on the lid. Surprising puts on a solid seal. My friend from work taught me a lot of these tricks and snacks on Utz pretzels on his 2 hour drive to work so he always has empties in the back of his truck I can grab (he has more than he needs so he saves some for me). 

58 minutes ago, revenger said:

I experimented with the wet tumbling method of brass cleaning utilizing the Lemishine and Dawn dish detergent as seen on youtube without the steel pins and the results were great.

I have an old RCBS sidewinder that I have been using with walnut since 1987 and it gets to be a pain having to clear the media out of the flashholes.  This wet method will be my new way of processing my brass.   even the insides are clean and shiny as well as the primer pockets

give it a try and see for your self,   I did about 100 .223 yesterday and today i'll do the rest of my .45AR and ACP.  The brass looks brand new.

small spoon of Lemishine

I tumbled for about 1 hr

dried in oven at 175 for about 20 minutes.,   I'll let it sit for a few days to make sure there is no moisture and than prime and load.

on a side note I have been getting alot of stuck .223 cases in my RCBS small base die and just got my delivery of the Redding Imperial sizing lube which is highly recommended,  I'll finish my .223 brass today and give a report. 

...lanolin and 99% alcohol and dont look back...its superior to whatever else is out there...

Its all i use....never had a stuck case since....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, revenger said:

small spoon of Lemishine

I tumbled for about 1 hr

What are you using for a the wet tumbling device??

23 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

What are you using for a the wet tumbling device??

RCBS sidewinder,   I purchased new  in 1987-88, I think it was only about 100 bucks back than,  cost prohibitive now but than again its over 30 years old and still spinning.

Frankford arsenal sells one that looks good for half the price.  

• Like 1

In my Frankford wet tumbler I use the same cleaning recipe, except I used the SS pins. They do come out real nice... and I've heard the pins aren't that necessary, but I picked up their medial separator so I don't mind using it.

I use a bit more dawn though, I use a .45 case to measure for consistency. Two cases of dawn, and one 9mm case of lemishine. 

@revenger do you have to clean the sizing lube off prior to loading? I've been using the Hornady one shot case lube and the stuff Is amazing when you follow the directions, benefit is you don't have to clean the cases after since it won't corrupt the powder 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

In my Frankford wet tumbler I use the same cleaning recipe, except I used the SS pins. They do come out real nice... and I've heard the pins aren't that necessary, but I picked up their medial separator so I don't mind using it.

I use a bit more dawn though, I use a .45 case to measure for consistency. Two cases of dawn, and one 9mm case of lemishine. 

@revenger do you have to clean the sizing lube off prior to loading? I've been using the Hornady one shot case lube and the stuff Is amazing when you follow the directions, benefit is you don't have to clean the cases after since it won't corrupt the powder 

I was using the one shot and kept getting stuck cases with .223,    30-06 seemed to run ok

just ran a batch of .223 with the imperial and no stuck cases.

I think the tumbling washes off the lube,  they seem dry and clean of it when I dump them out.

49 minutes ago, revenger said:

I was using the one shot and kept getting stuck cases with .223,    30-06 seemed to run ok

I think the tumbling washes off the lube,  they seem dry and clean of it when I dump them out.

Its most likely the small base die.. is there a reason you oversize? 

I've been using a redding full length on a Hornady iron single stage and the one shot has been smooth, just need to let them dry before sizing. 

I just like the fact I don't need to tumble the cases again to remove the it.

23 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

...lanolin and 99% alcohol and dont look back...its superior to whatever else is out there...

Same here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Source?? Is this someting the local chain pharmacy would have on the shelf??

19 hours ago, revenger said:

Are you tumbling twice or are you sizing dirty brass?

I use a 44 mag case full of lemishine - a small bathroom cup, 1/3 full of armoral wash and wax,  the other 2/3 is filled with dawn dish soap — a splash of lemishine liquid rinse aid — and pins

20 pounds of pins and 17 pounds of .223 brass — runs for 6-10 hours depending on when I get to it — about 1200 cases at a time

30 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Source?? Is this someting the local chain pharmacy would have on the shelf??

AMAZON for the lanolin - https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Solutions-Liquid-Lanolin/dp/B00028MLKC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=67LW82GGAUON&dchild=1&keywords=lanolin&qid=1588000172&sprefix=lanol%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-7

Alcohol might be hard now - but 99% should be able to be found....it is a superior mix to be used - one shot sucks - wax painfully tedious...

This mix as needed - shake well - place brass in some sort of vessel - spray and shake - let sit for the alcohol to disperse - and size...enjoy

40 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

AMAZON for the lanolin - https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Solutions-Liquid-Lanolin/dp/B00028MLKC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=67LW82GGAUON&dchild=1&keywords=lanolin&qid=1588000172&sprefix=lanol%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-7

Alcohol might be hard now - but 99% should be able to be found....it is a superior mix to be used - one shot sucks - wax painfully tedious...

This mix as needed - shake well - place brass in some sort of vessel - spray and shake - let sit for the alcohol to disperse - and size...enjoy

^^^ This I put mine in a gallon size ziplock. Spray in there, close & shake!!! I bought the spray bottle at Home Depot for a couple of bucks. It lasts a long time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

:good:

Added the lanolin to my amazon cart..

The 99% alcohol looks like a near impossibly during these times.. At least a reasonable normal size container at a reasonable price...     Whats the odds regular old 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol would work?? I have an old bottle been laying in the bathroom for a few years..

Also lastly, what kind of mix ratio of the Lanolin and alcohol into the spray bottle?

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

The 99% alcohol looks like a near impossibly during these times.. At least a reasonable normal size container at a reasonable price...     Whats the odds regular old 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol would work?? I have an old bottle been laying in the bathroom for a few years..

Also lastly, what kind of mix ratio of the Lanolin and alcohol into the spray bottle?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

You need 99%....  flashes off quicker and cleaner.......its around....also i hear it is not the best for disinfecting...

4 hours ago, carl_g said:

Great link !!!

Use it and dont look back...

• Thanks 1

Do you need to clean the lanolin/alcohol lube off the cases after sizing?

I have been using one shot for decades — lightly spray and I don't clean it off — never been an issue 

I have very little one shot left, need to either buy a new can or make the lanolin mix... soon

44 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Do you need to clean the lanolin/alcohol lube off the cases after sizing?

I have been using one shot for decades — lightly spray and I don't clean it off — never been an issue 

I have very little one shot left, need to either buy a new can or make the lanolin mix... soon

For me - as I handle the brass - I tend to wipe it off right after sizing before additional processing - seems to work - I do not wet tumble my brass again after prepping etc.

24 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Wondering if “dry gas” at the auto store would work as the alcohol element in the mix?

would be easier to find right now

I could swear I read that somewhere that someone had done that.... 

FYI, PS I never heated my mixes  - " mix mine 10 to 1 using Iso Heat (or equivalent) gas line antifreeze and Now liquid lanolin . The reason you use Isopropyl in the 95%+ range is it is less flammable than denatured or other liquids but still evaporates quickly. You also heat it gently (about 100*F) in a double boiler using an electric burner to keep it from catching fire as well when mixing. Heating it while mixing it keeps it suspended longer as well as allowing it to mix easier, also storing it in an airtight container after keeps it from absorbing moisture as it sits. After it sits a while it will separate a bit but shaking it usually works to mix it again.

Does the lemishine provide a benefit beyond shiny brass?

I recently picked up a wet tumbler. I wanted that because I found dry tumblers left too much dirt behind, which I understand is harder on the dies. Also, I wanted clean primer pockets. I know some say the pockets do not "need" to be cleaned, but it makes me feel better.

I'd rather just use some dish detergent and the pins, unless there is a significant benefit. And what makes lemishine so special? It seems to be just dishwasher additive; and expensive for what it is. How about a little bit of car wash or liquid wax instead?

This will be for 9mm BTW. I may move to .223/5.56 at a later time but want to get comfortable with 9mm first.

46 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I recently picked up a wet tumbler. I wanted that because I found dry tumblers left too much dirt behind, which I understand is harder on the dies. Also, I wanted clean primer pockets. I know some say the pockets do not "need" to be cleaned, but it makes me feel better.

I'd rather just use some dish detergent and the pins, unless there is a significant benefit. And what makes lemishine so special? It seems to be just dishwasher additive; and expensive for what it is. How about a little bit of car wash or liquid wax instead?

This will be for 9mm BTW. I may move to .223/5.56 at a later time but want to get comfortable with 9mm first.

Walmart has a good sized bottle of the lemi-shine, i forget the price, somethings in the beighborhood of 5 bucks..  But you use so little it will last for long long time.. It definitly helps!

I have a harbor freight tuimbler and use teh stainless pins. I toss in the brass, hot water, a little squirt of Dawn, and just a pinch or two of lemishine.  One hour in tyhe tumbler and its ready to go; two hours is almost overkill but it sure is spotless and shiney!

I suspect the lemi shine is somewhat acidic? And i reckon thats what helps get the residue cleaned up so quick and so well of the primer pockets and other nooks and crannys. Worth using, IMO.

• Thanks 1

There are 2 types of lemishine — liquid and crystal 

Liquid is a rinse aid — crystal helps with cleaning

I use both — been wet tumbling for quite a few years now, still on my 1st bottle of lemishine 

I run large batches of brass in a 3 gallon tumbler — crystal gets a 44 mag case full per batch, liquid just a very small squirt, like half a teaspoon, as fast a squirt as I can.

brass comes out clean, shiny , and dries with very few water spots — does it matter, no but it’s how I like it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kc17 said:

Lemon shine..????  Lol

How about some hot water...a splash of dove...and agitation...all done...

:)

I ran my first batch, no pins in an attempt to save the time of separating them out. Hot water straight from the water heater with a squirt of Dawn; ran it for two hours.

Brass is clean enough overall, but I'm not happy with the primer pockets. Looks like I'll be running it again with the pins. I didn't have real high hopes of the pockets getting clean without the pins, but I read somewhere someone claimed they did.

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

I ran my first batch, no pins in an attempt to save the time of separating them out. Hot water straight from the water heater with a squirt of Dawn; ran it for two hours.

Brass is clean enough overall, but I'm not happy with the primer pockets. Looks like I'll be running it again with the pins. I didn't have real high hopes of the pockets getting clean without the pins, but I read somewhere someone claimed they did.

You can get them clean without pins, you just need the right stuff. Dawn is a degreaser, it doesn't really excell when it comes to crap baked into a primer pocket. Lemi shine is supposed to be good, apparently acidic, to aid in dissolving crap off the cases dish soap really can't work on. 

I still use pins though, I'd rather set the thing to go for an hour and come back to sparkling cases. A media separator makes short work of things.

• Like 2