45Doll

Just How Bad Is The Ammo Shortage?

6 hours ago, Greenday said:

I just don't see why it's a big deal that some accessories which make it too deadly when irresponsibly used aren't allowed.

And what are those accessories?

When they ban your target rifle by calling it a SNIPER rifle....you will sing a different tune.

17 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Yes, because there hasn't ever been a shortage of primers and powder.

When you plan accordingly you are not subjected to the whims of the supply chain and disruptions....

You haven't planned for this type occurrence?  Also I do not mean the 'virus', I meant the targeting of ammo - 

Want to ban guns - make ammo unaffordable.

Molds, lead, heads, gas checks, primers, powder etc.

1lb of powder is about 7000 grains - 9mm 147gr 3.8gr of Autocomp - is about 1800 rounds....+/-

7 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

When you plan accordingly you are not subjected to the whims of the supply chain and disruptions....

You haven't planned for this type occurrence?

Exactly. I planned by having enough ammo on hand.

I don't have to concern myself with having enough primers, enough brass, enough projectiles, enough powder, enough case lube. I don't have to be concerned if my press is working right, if my scale is working right, if my tumbler is working right....you get the idea.

My only concern is how much ammo can I store and afford. 

The wider point is, being a reloador doesn't make you any more immune to the whims of the government or of the supply chain than buying ammo. Being prepared, regardless of what method one chooses,  does. And I can make the case that being prepared by stocking up on ammo is a lot easier and more attainable  than stocking on components to reload. 

6 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Exactly. I planned by having enough ammo on hand.

I don't have to concern myself with having enough primers, enough brass, enough projectiles, enough powder, enough case lube. I don't have to be concerned if my press is working right, if my scale is working right, if my tumbler is working right....you get the idea.

My only concern is how much ammo can I store and afford. 

The wider point is, being a reloador doesn't make you any more immune to the whims of the government or of the supply chain than buying ammo. Being prepared, regardless of what method one chooses,  does. And I can make the case that being prepared by stocking up on ammo is a lot easier and more attainable  than stocking on components to reload. 

That is clearly a competing school of thought and a valid one as well - I tend to do both.

Most folks think reloading is a waste of their time - in terms of cost to benefit - for me I disagree, because that is its own subculture of the shooting sports.  When I cannot get out to shoot - if nothing else is going on - I reload or prep to do so.

This past sunday was a raw crappy day - I spent a few hours in the shop prepping '06 cases and ran off about 400 rounds or so of 9mm in a couple of hours - radio, a cup of coffee and the repetitive nature of the task was actually quite relaxing.  :)

I would say that being a reloader does give you a slight edge over the GOV whims etc. and supply chain.  

Proper storage practices of both are paramount etc.  :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

And what are those accessories?

When they ban your target rifle by calling it a SNIPER rifle....you will sing a different tune.

Grenade launchers (which you can even still have if you don't have one of the other 4 scary mods).

I get why they don't want people to be able to modify a rifle so it's foldable and compact enough to hide under a hoodie to walk into school with.

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

You haven't planned for this type occurrence?  Also I do not mean the 'virus', I meant the targeting of ammo - 

Want to ban guns - make ammo unaffordable.

Molds, lead, heads, gas checks, primers, powder etc.

1lb of powder is about 7000 grains - 9mm 147gr 3.8gr of Autocomp - is about 1800 rounds....+/-

This is one thing I love about reloading. When ordering ammo is slow or there are shortages, I have enough supplies for thousands of rounds easy.

One day I'll get into melting and cast and forging.

10 hours ago, Greenday said:

I just don't see why it's a big deal that some accessories which make it too deadly when irresponsibly used aren't allowed.

When did a flash suppressor help kill someone?

When did a folding stock help kill someone?

You're not on our side, you never were.  But, God forbid one day in the future their gonna come for your 10 round magazines and pump shotgun, and your gonna say "But I comply!"  Sorry, too late.   

I lost a lot of respect for you, I hope you either see the light or go away.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Greenday said:

What the fuck is “too deadly”? 

In 2018, rifles were used in 374 killings.
In the same year the following were responsible for:
• Knives/Blades - 1604 deaths
• Blunt Objects (hammer, bat, etc...) - 472 deaths
• Hands/Fists/Feet - 656 deaths

I don’t know about you, but I have never needed a permit for a hammer, a bat, any knife, or to take a Jiu Jitsu class. If they are responsible for so many more deaths, shouldn’t there be some restrictions on them, you know, for safety?

Oh, maybe because guns can kill more people quickly at one time. Well the worst mass murder in US History ever was carried out with $1.50 in gasoline and a match. So, where’s the permits to fill’er up? Or the restrictions on how much gasoline you can buy in 30 days or at one time?

The only accessory that makes a weapon “too deadly” is the gray matter found between your ears. People are evil. People kill. People are deadly and dangerous. An adjustable stock, a suppressor, a flash hider or removable magazine have no bearing whatsoever on “Deadliness”.

You had the right word in your opinion that I quoted above - irresponsible.

You just chose to ignore responsibility and focus on inanimate objects instead. 

How do you not see that THAT personal choice of irresponsibility is the deciding factor in the equation?

13 hours ago, Greenday said:

I don't need to be able to hide a full size rifle under my shirt to do it. 

What the fuck does this have to do with safety. I am assuming you are referring to an adjustable stock. I can buy 6 identical rifles and pin my stock at each of 6 positions and that’s totally OK. But if I have one rifle with an adjustable stock that stops at each of the exact same same 6 positions, that should be illegal? That makes zero sense.

In 40-something other states you can have AR pistols with folding stocks. Do you see the streets running red with blood there? Because I sure don’t....

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

37 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Grenade launchers (which you can even still have if you don't have one of the other 4 scary mods).

I get why they don't want people to be able to modify a rifle so it's foldable and compact enough to hide under a hoodie to walk into school with.

Grenade Launcher?  hmmm....

Foldable and compact to walk into a school with - again hmmmmm..

Ok a few things - One, if that is your sole concern your sites security SOP has failed - and failed miserably. Secondly - the expectation of evil doing based on manipulation of hardware is foolishness  - how do you feel about speed governors in vehicles and or breathalyzer hardware ?  

Thirdly - why do I want to penetrate the perimeter at the school and "shoot em up" - why not take your "sniper/target" rifle and pick off students and teacher from a stand off attack.  Frankly, I can protect the folks onsite from the hardware foolishness talking points as opposed to you standing off with your high precision hi power sniper rifle....

2 hours ago, Greenday said:

Because handguns aren't small and concealable. You are a moron. 

In just my lifetime, the democrats have tried to ban

-guns that were too cheap. 

-guns that shot to fast

-guns that shot slower, but still too fast. 

-guns that were too accurate

-guns that were not accurate enough. 

-guns that look kind of like military guns. 

The most lethal school shooting is still virginai tech and was done with 10 round mags and a handgun. 

The #2 mass murder event was done with a gallon of gas an a pack of matches. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The most lethal school shooting is still virginai tech and was done with 10 round mags and a handgun. 

And the most lethal school massacre in U.S. history was committed using explosives - no firearms. Evil finds a way... the tools it chooses are irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Greenday

Let me ask you a something... 

Do you have a  AR? If so, what position is the stock fixed to?

Let me ask you something else...

If the NJ Assault Weapon restrictions went away today, and you were buying an AR tomorrow:

• Would you still pin your stock in one position?

• Would you choose a comp or brake over a hider?

• Would you pin your muzzle device?

• Would you buy yourself only 10 round magazines or permanently alter all of your mags to hold only 10 rounds?

• Would you shave off your bayonet lug?

• If you moved to PA or Florida, or any free state, and bought yourself a handgun, would you only by guns that hold 10 rounds or less?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

@Greenday

Let me ask you a something... 

Do you have a  AR? If so, what position is the stock fixed to?

Let me ask you something else...

If the NJ Assault Weapon restrictions went away today, and you were buying an AR tomorrow:

• Would you still pin your stock in one position?

• Would you choose a comp or brake over a hider?

• Would you pin your muzzle device?

• Would you buy yourself only 10 round magazines or permanently alter all of your mags to hold only 10 rounds?

• Would you shave off your bayonet lug?

• If you moved to PA or Florida, or any free state, and bought yourself a handgun, would you only by guns that hold 10 rounds or less?

I didn't say every feature is a "scary' feature. I put scary in quotations because they are the ones listed and not my opinion that all of them are scary. 

Other than my 15-22, no, that's my only AR. The stock is in the position it came in and I'm perfectly comfortable with leaving it as is even if I could change it.

I'd still stick with my brakes.

I think that's stupid.

I have 5 round mags for my RAR and my LRR has a 10 round mag where rarely do I load 10 at a time. I'm not trying to get through as much ammo as fast as possible.

I don't need a bayonet.

I don't care how much ammo it holds whether it's 10 or 30 rounds.

You know what would suck? If someone was able to conceal a rifle into a school and shoot off a grenade into a packed classroom or an auditorium.

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Frankly, I can protect the folks onsite from the hardware foolishness talking points as opposed to you standing off with your high precision hi power sniper rifle....

Yea, but we already see idiots with guns that are supposed to protect schools fail. And if the shooter knows who the armed guard is, why wouldn't the just target them first? According to the DOJ, of the 25 school shootings they reviewed between 2000 and 2013, none of them were stopped by a good guy with a gun. They stopped when the shooter offed their self or were taken down by a group of people. Not everyone is you. Not everyone would make the conscious decision NOT to fire on the shooter down the hall when there's a bunch of kids running around that could easily be hit by a stray shot. Four school shootings in 2018 were in schools with armed resource officers. 0 shooters were stopped by armed guards. Between 2016 and 2018, there were at least 32 recorded incidents of kids being pepper sprayed and at least 15 of students being physically assaulted. Thank God those dumbasses weren't armed. There are armed guards who have mishandled their guns in schools. Armed guards who let the students handle their gun. Guards who have left guns in bathrooms.

It's a good intention idea, but in practice, there's too many idiots mishandling guns in school as it is. And I bet they all say the same thing. "Not me." "I'm responsible." "I've had training." So how do you tell the dumbasses from those who would take it seriously?

16 minutes ago, Greenday said:

It's a good intention idea, but in practice, there's too many idiots mishandling guns in school as it is. And I bet they all say the same thing. "Not me." "I'm responsible." "I've had training." So how do you tell the dumbasses from those who would take it seriously?

So by your logic, we shouldn't allow people to drive.  Or drink.  Or have sex and reproduce?  What are you talking about?

This is why liberalism is a mental disorder.   You don't know what's better for me, let me decide that.   That's called liberty.  Libertarians, like myself, having been screaming this for years.  You do you, I'll do me.  Leave me the fuck alone and I'll leave you alone.  But oh no, here comes @Greenday to tell me I don't need 30 round magazines and hate speech is illegal.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I didn't say every feature is a "scary' feature. I put scary in quotations because they are the ones listed and not my opinion that all of them are scary. 

Other than my 15-22, no, that's my only AR. The stock is in the position it came in and I'm perfectly comfortable with leaving it as is even if I could change it.

I'd still stick with my brakes.

I think that's stupid.

I have 5 round mags for my RAR and my LRR has a 10 round mag where rarely do I load 10 at a time. I'm not trying to get through as much ammo as fast as possible.

I don't need a bayonet.

I don't care how much ammo it holds whether it's 10 or 30 rounds.

You know what would suck? If someone was able to conceal a rifle into a school and shoot off a grenade into a packed classroom or an auditorium.

Let me ask this a different way -

So, if a rifle came with a stock not pinned, like it does in most states, would you pay money to pin it?

If the rifle came with a 30 round mag, like they do in most states, would you destroy it and buy a 10 round mag?

If the rifle came with a 16” barrel and an unpinned flash hider, like they do in most states, would you pay money to replace it with a brake/Comp and pay more to have it pinned?

If  rifle came with a bayo lug, like they do in most states, would you pay more money to have it removed?

If you lived in Florida and bought a rifle, would you pay the FFL to make it N.J. compliant?

In N.J. right now you can legally buy a SBF - an AR type rifle with a flash hider, an adjustable brace, and a 12” barrel chambered in .233/5.56. It’s shorter than any AR rifle that requires a 16” barrel and a non-adjustable or pinned stock. Have these made it into schools? 

Would you take one if it was given to you?

ok I'm sorry as I know it's against the rules but Greenday is truly a moron.  I feel dumber reading his responses and the rest of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves for engaging the town idiot expecting a different result

I'll accept my 48hr timeout as I need that time given how hard my head hurts reading his nonsensical, irrational, faulty and myopic responses.  

• Haha 2
  • FacePalm 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:29 PM, Sniper. said:

Is that because manufacturers were considered "non-essential", so they shut down everything in the middle of everyone panicking again?

Didn't want to start the a new topic for already open topic.

With things opening up, does anybody think they will start ramping up production?

Maybe get prices down.