Dr. Goodshot

Should I reserve the gun I want or just walk in??

Hi. Perhaps some much more experienced NJ gun owners can give me advice on something?

I recently bought a gun and want to buy another one, but the one-gun-a-month rule makes me eligible to buy my second gun exactly 24 days before my permit expires (I of course went out and got my gun the moment I got the permit but the gun stores happened to close just before my order came in. So with that and the background check it took over three weeks for me to get the gun after I ordered it. And plus, the police department didn't tell me to come in and pick up the permit until 10 days after it was issued.)

So I'm wondering, will the 24 days be enough for me to get the gun, including special ordering it if necessary, and background check? Or would it be a better idea to call somewhere and put a deposit on the gun I want today so that it will be ready to go when my OGAM expires? The date I can buy again is about two weeks from now, and the gun I want is a Glock 19.

If you were satisfied with your last transaction, call that FFL and see if they will put a G19 on layaway. Just about every shop I have ever dealt with will put a gun aside for you as you wait for OGAM. You may need to put some or all the money down on it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you have the money and someone has the gun, and they will sit on it for you until the permit is fully ripe and ready to eat, then I'd do it. 

Especially under current circumstances, I would not count on reliable and consistent inventory. 

37 minutes ago, dajonga said:

If you were satisfied with your last transaction, call that FFL and see if they will put a G19 on layaway. Just about every shop I have ever dealt with will put a gun aside for you as you wait for OGAM. You may need to put some or all the money down on it.

I agree with dajonga as far as the deposit to hold it. Another thing my FFL does is he runs the NICS the day before I show so there's no other unnecessary waiting and they can fill out the paperwork when I show up.

Another thing you could do is get an extension on your current purchase permit. It will be good for another 90 days. (I am assuming you haven't done that yet). There's no extra charges but you will have to bring the permit to the PD and leave it for them to extend and call you back for a pickup. 

Next time try to get the guns ordered in advance or order the next one as soon as you pick up your current one and when 30 days hit have the FFL run your NICS. Once approve just bring the purchase permit and the $$$.

Since the process of getting purchase permits is so tedious get 4 permits at a time and get the 90 day extension prior to the expiration date. This way you will have a total of 6 months from the time you make your first purchase to burn the other permits. At $2/permit I will get the extra permits just to have rather than the whole process of applying again.  Alot to digest. Any questions or clarification just ask.... 

Not all PD's will require you to leave the permits for the extension. My PD would do it while you wait. Just a rubber stamp of the chief's signature and a date written in and you are GTG. Conversely, some departments will not extend the permits at all. Lately, some departments are issuing the permits already extended to 180 days.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

Not all PD's will require you to leave the permits for the extension. My PD would do it while you wait. Just a rubber stamp of the chief's signature and a date written in and you are GTG. Conversely, some departments will not extend the permits at all. Lately, some departments are issuing the permits already extended to 180 days.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If only the Marlboro PD did that.... same day is awesome!

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

When I've found myself in a similar situation I've paid the FFL or sometimes the private seller in full and waited out my 30 days. 

I've done the same, but I've also "gotten insurance" that the sale will proceed as agreed.

In the case of an FFL purchase, I paid in full and took home the revolver's cylinder and yoke (just loosen 1 screw on Smiths)

In the case of a private individual purchase, I took home the mags and slide.

Waited until OGAM expired, then got to take the frames home after NICS (and paying sales tax and NICS charges)

Makes the purchase almost bulletproof.

1 hour ago, njJoniGuy said:

I've done the same, but I've also "gotten insurance" that the sale will proceed as agreed.

In the case of an FFL purchase, I paid in full and took home the revolver's cylinder and yoke (just loosen 1 screw on Smiths)

In the case of a private individual purchase, I took home the mags and slide.

Waited until OGAM expired, then got to take the frames home after NICS (and paying sales tax and NICS charges)

Makes the purchase almost bulletproof.

If you feel safer doing that fine.  I've never felt the need to do that.

Interesting you mention removing the cylinder on a S&W.  A lot of people don't know how to do it.  Just like a lot of people think the screw holding in the mainspring is a "trigger pull adjustment screw".

Thanks. I think I'll call the store and reserve the gun.

I definitely do not want to renew my permit. I have no desire to interact with bureaucrats during normal times, and I certainly don't want to now. I'm going to try to get everything all wrapped up before the earlier deadline.

• Like 2