Heavyopp

Transfer fee sticker shock - Northern middlesex county

Just wondering what you guys are seeing for transfer fees lately — I called around looking to get a rifle transfered in the near future.

I’m in middlesex borough, almost as far north and west as you can go in middlesex county — right in the corners of middlesex, union, and somerset counties

I called 2 local places today, Middlebrook in greenbrook and garden state in warren

— middlebrook was $55 plus Nics plus tax — well over $70

– garden state was $50 plus nics plus tax — $69 and change

looks like these guys are taking Efingers place whos fees where out of this world — $90 plus last time I asked

maybe I’m too cheap but I’m not spending over $50 combined for a transfer — I’ll be done buying guns if thats the case

anyone have any thoughts? Who’s your go to FFL for a transfer?

I have a guy I’ve used for years, JG firearms, right here in Middlesex but the town has chased him out — technically he is still there but he spends very little time at the store and is very hard to get ahold of

I'm not against a little drive, just want to do business with someone who actually wants to do transfers for a reasonable price and answers the phone

Suggestions?

I feel poetic early this morning:

"Buy it from me

Or a screwing for thee

Because in this life

Nothing's for free."

Just from a business point of view, transfers take up as much time and effort (if not more) than an FFL selling from his own inventory. But there's no markup for him on a transfer like there is on a sale. And he's got overhead to cover, not to mention his need for profit to stay in business.

$50ish plus NICS (a royal screwing from the PRNJ, by the way) seems to be about average these days.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sota said:

checkout steve @remixer Monmouth Arms.

i've been too much of a poor broke bastard to buy anything lately, but he's still my Go-To guy.

You did not get your "TRUMP BUCKS" yet?

10 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

maybe I’m too cheap but I’m not spending over $50 combined for a transfer — I’ll be done buying guns if thats the case

I'm $40.00 including Nics, But will accept $50.00 :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Just wondering what you guys are seeing for transfer fees lately — I called around looking to get a rifle transfered in the near future.

I’m in middlesex borough, almost as far north and west as you can go in middlesex county — right in the corners of middlesex, union, and somerset counties

I called 2 local places today, Middlebrook in greenbrook and garden state in warren

— middlebrook was $55 plus Nics plus tax — well over $70

– garden state was $50 plus nics plus tax — $69 and change

looks like these guys are taking Efingers place whos fees where out of this world — $90 plus last time I asked

anyone have any thoughts? Who’s your go to FFL for a transfer?

I have a guy I’ve used for years, JG firearms, right here in Middlesex but the town has chased him out — technically he is still there but he spends very little time at the store and is very hard to get ahold of

I'm not against a little drive, just want to do business with someone who actually wants to do transfers for a reasonable price and answers the phone

Suggestions?

Many (not all) FFL's don't want to do transfers because they feel they are supporting the on-line competition. That being said, some dealers offer compeditive pricing and again some don't; but the point is some dealer just jack up the transfer fee because if the customer wants to buy elsewhere and bring it it - that is there fee to handle it - take it or leave it. They didn't want to do it in the first place........

1 hour ago, Sota said:

checkout steve @remixer Monmouth Arms.

i've been too much of a poor broke bastard to buy anything lately, but he's still my Go-To guy.

I Second this.

I haven’t used him myself, but I have sent quite a few friends his way and all have had stellar things to say.

Steve! Steve! Steve! Steve!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Many (not all) FFL's don't want to do transfers because they feel they are supporting the on-line competition. That being said, some dealers offer compeditive pricing and again some don't; but the point is some dealer just jack up the transfer fee because if the customer wants to buy elsewhere and bring it it - that is there fee to handle it - take it or leave it. They didn't want to do it in the first place........

I get this part — when buying new I always gave My FFL the chance to give me a price on it — usually his price alone was higher than online, then add sales tax

There is a whole used market out there that I like to purchase from — I just picked up a used, never fired Dan Wesson Bobbed Classic Commander - 2017 manufacture — for $1150 plus transfer fee — just can’t find that locally at any price

Todays interest is a tikka T3 tactical in.223 

Not exactly cheap but certainly not retail

2 hours ago, remixer said:

You did not get your "TRUMP BUCKS" yet?

I'm $40.00 including Nics, But will accept $50.00 :)

I looked up your place last night, 35 minutes away

most likely I’ll be sending a rifle to you

55 minutes ago, remixer said:

You were wonderful!. Was worth every ounce of Herpes. :)

I’ll have to insist you keep the herpes on your side of the desk, after all it will be our 1st encounter —  I’m cheap but not easy

• Haha 1

Just now, Heavyopp said:

I looked up your place last night, 35 minutes away

most likely I’ll be sending a rifle to you

I’ll have to insist you keep the herpes on your side of the desk, after all it will be our 1st encounter —  I’m cheap but not easy

Sounds good...

No worries we are wearing masks and Gloves...   You can only catch it if you choose to :)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

That is a load of shit.  They aren't giving the customer what the customer wants.  Then they complain when the customer buys cheaper ammo online instead of going through their shop and buying ammo, bait, or other items.  That is $40 for what could be 20 minutes worth of time free and clear and a long-term customer to boot.    There is a dealer near me that thinks that you are going to buy his inflated pricing stock (and limited availability) and discourages transfers because of that  and marks transfers up to about $60-$70 plus NICs (and tax on NICs and his transfer fees).  I say if he has exactly what you want in stock, and you can grab it for an additional $40 or less than the online price then you ought to do so.  If not, then he should check his distributors and give you a price of what he can obtain it for, and that should not be any higher than the online price that you can get it for plus his reasonable (for the people's republik) ($40) transfer fee.  Many times I have gone and wanted a particular item, rendition, etc. and I was told that it could not be obtained by the dealer.  Then I went online and found it on my own.  If the dealer is too lazy or can only order from a specific distributor then I shouldn't get jacked.  if you  ordered it online, then he should accomodate YOUR transfer reasonably, and in particular if you are purchasing used.  I get it, he is in business and has to make his bills and a profit.  But I guarantee you that there aren't really any NJ FFLs that have complained that the citizens Unconstitutionally now have to go through them for ANY transfers (except the family and possible other exemptions.  And, when they discourage this commerce in their establishments they are losing the revenew, anyway.  I also realize that in their tier they are sent certain reditions of things frm their distruborts and they get better stock if they are larger volume, but that isn't MY problem when I go in there and they don't have what I want.   

Another FFL near me is out of his house and he is a mom and pop organizationl  He is reasonable and personable, but seems kind of like a dumb ass when doing the transers.  He doesn't seem up on things and claims things I know are not illegal, etc. as illegal.  The problem I have with him is that he changes the quoted rates at the time of settling than what he orginally quoted.  Not terribly different, but different none-the-less.   i have had other FFLs that don't bother to call you when your transferring item arrives, even as much as a day or two out.   They don't care if you have been waiting  They get to it when they get to it.  And its not like you don't know when your items have been delivered, as you can get notifications. 

This other FFL that i use is notorious for not getting back to me and/or not following up on the delayed NICs return  in a suitable amount of time.   Hoever he is polite and helpful (except in not returning calls when you ask him to check his vendor inventory for a spedific item).  Anyway, he is reaosnable and I use him over the other local one that tried to stick it to me with his transfer fees and whose eimployee was rude to me one day when I went in to get my bow setup.  I recognized the guy was busy but he didn't have the courtesy to reply to me nicely.  I don't go to him anymore.  But I do go to the other FFL with all his flaws.  And, even though I don't really need any ammo, occasionally I pop in to check his prices and buy something from him (and pay more) instead of getting it all cheaper online.  Why, because he has treated me well (for the most part) and because apparently in the Republik I need him to stay in business.  

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

That is a load of shit.  That is $40 for what could be 20 minutes worth of time free and clear and a long-term customer to boot.    There is a dealer near me that thinks that you are going to buy his inflated pricing stock (and limited availability) and discourages transfers because of that  and marks transfers up to about $60-$70 plus NICs (and tax on NICs and his transfer fees).  I say if he has exactly what you want in stock, and you can grab it for an additional $40 or less than the online price then you ought to do so.  If not, then he should check his distributors and give you a price of what he can obtain it for, and that should not be any higher than the online price that you can get it for plus his reasonable (for the people's republik) ($40) transfer fee.  Many times I have gone and wanted a particular item, rendition, etc. and I was told that it could not be obtained by the dealer.  Then I went online and found it on my own.  If the dealer is too lazy or can only order from a specific distributor then I shouldn't get jacked.  if you  ordered it online, then he should accomodate YOUR transfer reasonably, and in particular if you are purchasing used.  I get it, he is in business and has to make his bills and a profit.  But I guarantee you that there aren't really any NJ FFLs that have complained that the citizens Unconstitutionally now have to go through them for ANY transfers (except the family and possible other exemptions.  And, when they discourage this commerce in their establishments they are losing the revenew, anyway.  I also realize that in their tier they are sent certain reditions of things frm their distruborts and they get better stock if they are larger volume, but that isn't MY problem when I go in there and they don't have what I want.   

Another FFL near me is out of his house and he is a mom and pop organizationl  He is reasonable and personable, but seems kind of like a dumb ass when doing the transers.  He doesn't seem up on things and claims things I know are not illegal, etc. as illegal.  The problem I have with him is that he changes the quoted rates at the time of settling than what he orginally quoted.  Not terribly different, but different none-the-less.   i have had other FFLs that don't bother to call you when your transferring item arrives, even as much as a day or two out.   They don't care if you have been waiting  They get to it when they get to it.  And its not like you don't know when your items have been delivered, as you can get notifications. 

This other FFL that i use is notorious for not getting back to me and/or not following up on the delayed NICs return  in a suitable amount of time.   Hoever he is polite and helpful (except in not returning calls when you ask him to check his vendor inventory for a spedific item).  Anyway, he is reaosnable and I use him over the other local one that tried to stick it to me with his transfer fees and whose eimployee was rude to me one day when I went in to get my bow setup.  I recognized the guy was busy but he didn't have the courtesy to reply to me nicely.  I don't go to him anymore.  But I do go to the other FFL with all his flaws.  And, even though I don't really need any ammo, occasionally I pop in to check his prices and buy something from him (and pay more) instead of getting it all cheaper online.  Why, because he has treated me well (for the most part) and because apparently in the Republik I need him to stay in business.  

What you feel is a "Load of Shit" is irrelevant to the comment at hand.

I simply stated what "some" dealers feel, and how "some' dealer operate

Your experience(s) with your FFL's has nothing to do with how some dealers operate. I was addressing the OP's original comments, and was not speaking from our business plan (we do transfers for customers at a very resonable rate)........

• Like 2

10 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

I feel poetic early this morning:

"Buy it from me

Or a screwing for thee

Because in this life

Nothing's for free."

Just from a business point of view, transfers take up as much time and effort (if not more) than an FFL selling from his own inventory. But there's no markup for him on a transfer like there is on a sale. And he's got overhead to cover, not to mention his need for profit to stay in business.

$50ish plus NICS (a royal screwing from the PRNJ, by the way) seems to be about average these days.

Historically, in my experience, the places that charge outrageous fees also won't try to get you what you want. 

Also they tend towards having shit taste in firearms, which is a horrible combination. 

Filling out the paperwork for something you stock vs filling it out for a transfer is the same, but you don't have to sink capital into ordering something for me or doing an internet transfer. 

I'll give a +1 to Monmouth Arms. They have predictable hours and reasonable transfer fees and will try to get you what you want if you ask. Presumably only current production stuff that distributors might have. 

The only warning I'd give is don't use the "just pick your FFL from the list" option on gunbroker with them as that will result in the seller trying to ship to their storefront address if the seller is automated. 

I've done both recently and have been happy with the experience. 

As a connoisseur of FFLs across this vast state, (Mastadon Ammo and Camo, Caso's, Bullet Hole, GSSC, TJ sporting arms, JT Custom guns, Armament Gunsmithing, PK90, LouieGS outdoors, Ray's Sport shop, Oakridge firearms, Cheyenne gunsmithing and OMG custom guns) I like most of them.  Not all of them. 20 bucks isn't going to kill me and I see it as supporting the 2A.

I don't think anyone here, maybe outside of@Pizza Bob has bought from more FFLs than me.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

As a connoisseur of FFLs across this vast state, (Mastadon Ammo and Camo, Caso's, Bullet Hole, GSSC, TJ sporting arms, JT Custom guns, Armament Gunsmithing, PK90, LouieGS outdoors, Ray's Sport shop, Oakridge firearms, Cheyenne gunsmithing and OMG custom guns) I like most of them.  Not all of them. 20 bucks isn't going to kill me and I see it as supporting the 2A.

I don't think anyone here, maybe outside of@Pizza Bob has bought from more FFLs than me.

I've got you beat if you count the ones I was unsuccessfully able to do business with. For those that actually completed a transaction for me, I'm a few short. 

1 minute ago, raz-0 said:

I've got you beat if you count the ones I was unsuccessfully able to do business with. For those that actually completed a transaction for me, I'm a few short. 

I didn't count Pennsylvania ones or ones I used but not for transfers.  I also used Cabela's (AR15) and a little shop in Montrose PA.  I also used the Polish FFL in Woodbridge but I can't remember his name.

Found him

Bullseye Tactical Supply

Looking at local prices, I feel pretty good about paying $50 for my last transfer/NICS. Charging $50-$70 for a transfer PLUS NICS just sounds excessive, but keeping the lights on isn't cheap.. I don't know how much manufacturers are charging gun shops, but I find it interesting that I can find a brand new rifle at one store for $1,150, then find the EXACT same rifle for $1,000 at a different store. Why such a difference? Is the manufacturer charging the first store more than the first? Or is the first store just marking it up more?

A few of variables go into pricing a firearm for retail sales which would reflect the different pricings.

1. Amount Paid. Sometimes the distributor drops their prices. The dealer can pass that discount onto the end buyer.

2. Manufacturer Programs. When the dealer buys X amount and gets a free gun, they can sell the X amount at cost and that free gun sale price is all profit.

3. Stale Inventory. That cheap price you see may be the dealer that has been sitting on that gun for awhile. Maybe even take a loss just to get rid of it and get something new to sell.

As far as transfer fees go, I unboxed a transfer today that was packed with electrified peanuts. It took 20 minutes to pick those lil bastards off everything. Then it took another 20 minutes to figure out what the hell it was, log it in, store it, then figure out who it was for. Then the buyer needs to be contacted, who will ask one "quick question", which turns out to be be ten "quick questions". Soooo, I completely understand why some dealers charge fees approaching a Benny.