Heavyopp

Transfer fee sticker shock - Northern middlesex county

9 hours ago, Greenday said:

Looking at local prices, I feel pretty good about paying $50 for my last transfer/NICS. Charging $50-$70 for a transfer PLUS NICS just sounds excessive, but keeping the lights on isn't cheap.. I don't know how much manufacturers are charging gun shops, but I find it interesting that I can find a brand new rifle at one store for $1,150, then find the EXACT same rifle for $1,000 at a different store. Why such a difference? Is the manufacturer charging the first store more than the first? Or is the first store just marking it up more?

There are many Reasons for one store being much higher or lower then another.

Distributor Prices Vary on some items but not usually by that much.

Valid Reasons might be ( If all BM local stores)

1. If its already in stock it might be one of those things just sitting on the shelf to the point where the lower priced store wants to dump it.

2. Lower priced store might have ordered it for another customer who cancelled and paid a restock fee and the store is passing that discount on to sell the rifle.

3. Package deals (free Gun) ... if the lower priced store has a package deal some will factor the discount across all the items in the package.

4. Dealer Sales.. Some distributors have Dump Sales.. Just trying to remove some inventory.. iv seen a 1500.00 rifle get discounted by 200 bucks for a week or so..

If the price differences are between Online stores and BM stores then the reasons are much clearer.

Most online stores never touch the item.. its dropped shipped so they add a very small markup since they never handle it at all.. they also need to keep up the sales to pay the terms account and use new sales to pay old invoices...

again it depends on the price of the item and the differences in price.. 150.00 between local dealers would be excessive unless its a very unusual case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

It's a shame that an FFL is even needed to exercise a right.  

That's an Entirely separate issue.

Just a note after reading your Novel.

If you think a dealer should sell someone a gun for Cost + Transfer fee then why dont you get your FFL and do just that... You would be incredibly busy.. Bankrupt but busy.

I do love reading comments just like that here and on FB.. But i can never seem to find those people putting their pencil to paper and do it.

8 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Looks like I’ll be visiting monmouth arms soon — working on the deal for the tikka now

Sounds good. Looking forward to meeting ya.

I've said it before...

Since I met Steve I always try and give him First Right to Sale.  I'm even up front about what I've found it for, and where.  I try to right by him, and he tries to do right by me.  My only regret is I'm too fucking poor to spend more money in his shop. :D

Now if he'd just figure out how to get a discount coupon from the massage parlor, and give 'em out with every transaction... :wub:

2 minutes ago, Sota said:

I've said it before...

Since I met Steve I always try and give him First Right to Sale.  I'm even up front about what I've found it for, and where.  I try to right by him, and he tries to do right by me.  My only regret is I'm too fucking poor to spend more money in his shop. :D

Now if he'd just figure out how to get a discount coupon from the massage parlor, and give 'em out with every transaction... :wub:

Lets be honest.. I have refused to sell you a gun in the past... I think it was the Yeti Cannon or some Hi point pistol LOL

+100 for Steve at Monmouth Arms.

I did 1 transfer with him, an Aero builder kit, direct from Aero, I have bought a few guns from him that were not in stock, and he happily ordered them for me, and at a great price, I bought a few lowers and he has also done MB pinning for me.

One thing I can say for sure, if i'm not building it myself, i'm buying it from Steve.  

17 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

+100 for Steve at Monmouth Arms.

I did 1 transfer with him, an Aero builder kit, direct from Aero, I have bought a few guns from him that were not in stock, and he happily ordered them for me, and at a great price, I bought a few lowers and he has also done MB pinning for me.

One thing I can say for sure, if i'm not building it myself, i'm buying it from Steve.  

Happy to be of service... BTW that +100 might give the impression were sleeping together.  :)

1 hour ago, remixer said:

3. Package deals (free Gun) ... if the lower priced store has a package deal some will factor the discount across all the items in the package.

If the price differences are between Online stores and BM stores then the reasons are much clearer.

Most online stores never touch the item.. its dropped shipped so they add a very small markup since they never handle it at all.. they also need to keep up the sales to pay the terms account and use new sales to pay old invoices...

Yea, I think online vs brick and mortar stores generally are a combination of these two reasons. Brick and mortar stores have to mark it up more. They have property taxes to pay on the stores. Utilities. Employees. Definitely not a get rich quick business when you factor in overhead. Online stores can avoid that necessary markup to cover that overhead, lower costs to consumers, get more guns out the door, and probably can buy enough per month to get a bulk discount.

And one thing I think people tend to forget when they purchase online vs at the store is you are paying for the ability to get it now. You can buy a gun cheaper online, but you can't get it fast and now. I can go into a gun store, pick a rifle, and walk out 30 minutes later. Essentially it's a convenience surcharge so we are paying for their physical local presence. 

16 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Yea, I think online vs brick and mortar stores generally are a combination of these two reasons. Brick and mortar stores have to mark it up more. They have property taxes to pay on the stores. Utilities. Employees. Definitely not a get rich quick business when you factor in overhead. Online stores can avoid that necessary markup to cover that overhead, lower costs to consumers, get more guns out the door, and probably can buy enough per month to get a bulk discount.

And one thing I think people tend to forget when they purchase online vs at the store is you are paying for the ability to get it now. You can buy a gun cheaper online, but you can't get it fast and now. I can go into a gun store, pick a rifle, and walk out 30 minutes later. Essentially it's a convenience surcharge so we are paying for their physical local presence. 

Yup. Now that larger online stores are required to charge sales tax it makes the difference between online and local much closer... Im bless to have a customer base that for the most would buy from me rather then online even with the price differences.

Of Course there's the guy that asks you to match the online price which is 5 bucks cheaper then the price you quoted. LOL

4 minutes ago, djg0770 said:

You're old, but not old enough to have paid that yourself. You MIGHT remember it, along with red and green flags at gas stations.

I remember seeing 25 cents per gallon in the 60s, but I remember paying 85 cents per gallon in the 70s.

ETA: Of course, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

As a connoisseur of FFLs across this vast state, (Mastadon Ammo and Camo, Caso's, Bullet Hole, GSSC, TJ sporting arms, JT Custom guns, Armament Gunsmithing, PK90, LouieGS outdoors, Ray's Sport shop, Oakridge firearms, Cheyenne gunsmithing and OMG custom guns) I like most of them.  Not all of them. 20 bucks isn't going to kill me and I see it as supporting the 2A.

I don't think anyone here, maybe outside of@Pizza Bob has bought from more FFLs than me.

Some of us aren't loudmouths about the size of our collection Raymond.

For the record, GFH currently has the cheapest transfer rate for members (but you have to be a member and that's got a price to it too)
There are a bunch of FFLs throughout the state (North and Central, can't speak for that other world known as South) who are $20 plus NICS.

Just now, PK90 said:

I remember seeing 25 cents per gallon in the 60s, but I remember paying 85 cents per gallon in the 70s.

I paid (as I recall) $0.67 in the late 90s when Wawa was having a gas war with another station in Jackson, NJ. When I got my license the average price was 89-99 cents a gallon as I recall. $10 generally filled a tank.

I'm glad to see it back under $2 but of course, I have hardly any use for it this minute.

1 hour ago, djg0770 said:

Some of us aren't loudmouths about the size of our collection Raymond.

I have bought and sold many firearms Daniel.  And, if I recall, to you personally. 

5 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

as a kid I remember odd and even days, riding my cr80 to the gas station with .90cents and filling up for a few hours of fun on the trails of ft dix.

Where'd you live that was so close to or within FtDix?

9 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Where'd you live that was so close to or within FtDix?

my dad was a DI when we came back from Germany and lived in Browns Mills.  I lived right up the road from Deborah and Stackhouse shool

• Like 1

6 hours ago, djg0770 said:

I paid (as I recall) $0.67 in the late 90s when Wawa was having a gas war with another station in Jackson, NJ. When I got my license the average price was 89-99 cents a gallon as I recall. $10 generally filled a tank.

I'm glad to see it back under $2 but of course, I have hardly any use for it this minute.

As someone said "This is like high school again ... gas is cheap and we're all grounded!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

my dad was a DI when we came back from Germany and lived in Browns Mills.  I lived right up the road from Deborah and Stackhouse shool

My neck of the woods..  I was born a BrownsMill-Billy and lived there until i was 4..  Been living just a town over for 24 years now...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

My neck of the woods..  I was born a BrownsMill-Billy and lived there until i was 4..  Been living just a town over for 24 years now...

no kidding!!!

yes, I used to fish for sunnies in the lake just up the road.  I'd catch turtles and let them roam free in the trailer.  We used to live in the Hilltop Trailer Park.  We were poor then, very poor as my parents divorced and my mother's career didn't take off yet; nor did my fathers but that wasn't until the Army finished his pastry training after being a DI.  Him being a DI there was pretty cool, I shot everything that was on that base, marched with the troops, even did a bivwack (whatever the fk you call that out in the woods), drank my first beer on that base.   It's funny, no money at all then (xmas with no presents except what the army provided kind of poor) but man those were good times

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

no kidding!!!

yes, I used to fish for sunnies in the lake just up the road.  I'd catch turtles and let them roam free in the trailer.  We used to live in the Hilltop Trailer Park.  We were poor then, very poor as my parents divorced and my mother's career didn't take off yet; nor did my fathers but that wasn't until the Army finished his pastry training after being a DI.  Him being a DI there was pretty cool, I shot everything that was on that base, marched with the troops, even did a bivwack (whatever the fk you call that out in the woods), drank my first beer on that base.   It's funny, no money at all then (xmas with no presents except what the army provided kind of poor) but man those were good times

Small world! I lived in a SMALL ranch house on south lakeshore drive... it was tight. 2 parents, and 5 kids squezed in a 1100 sq ft house..  My parents settled there right before i was born, becuase my dad got transfered out of El Paso and back to NJ. He was a lifer Army Nat Guard. After a few years there, we moved to Bordentown, where i grew up..  24 years ago i left Bordentown, and moved here to North Hanover Twp and been here since.. If you gotta be stuck in Jersey, this is about the best town around to be in.. Right @drjjpdc???! :D:icon_e_wink: