Squaregrouper

Good Shops Near Bordentown?

Hey guys & gals, I just did an intro post and have a question for the informed masses...

My wife (from West Windsor) has a cousin in Bordentown who just got his FOID. He reached out to me about what pistol to buy and I responded that he really should fondle a bunch and choose what he thinks fits best. I named the: VP9, G19 and CZ75 by name, but was emphatic about what fits him the best.

I am here because the best way to find a good FFL is to ask the locals who are active in the shooting sports community. What shops do you folks recommend within a reasonable distance of Bordentown?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle/Squaregrouper

Cheyenne mountain. They got 5 or 6 guys behind the counter.  All good. Some better than others.  I prefer to deal with Jesse. He's knowledgeable. Not biased towards some brands. Like any shop it isn't perfect but keep an open mind.  I've bought my last 4 pistols from there. 

• Like 2

Steve is a great guy and will get what you want. But being a larger business, Cheyenne has more in-stock for someone that needs to see many brands/models.

The last I saw Cheyenne was appointment only also. They originally stated they were not going to reopen, then went appointment. Steve, I think is also appointment only.

I would say Howell Gun Works is in the middle inventory-wise. More than Steve, less than Cheyenne.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaddyNick said:

Cheyenne mountain. They got 5 or 6 guys behind the counter.  All good. Some better than others.  I prefer to deal with Jesse. He's knowledgeable. Not biased towards some brands. Like any shop it isn't perfect but keep an open mind.  I've bought my last 4 pistols from there. 

Thanks for the info. ~15yrs ago I did a short stint in Marlton building the filtration systems for a short lived aquarium store. I loved the snapper soup at The Marlton Diner and Jay's Elbow Room has the best clam strips I have ever had.

6 minutes ago, Squaregrouper said:

Thanks for the info. ~15yrs ago I did a short stint in Marlton building the filtration systems for a short lived aquarium store. I loved the snapper soup at The Marlton Diner and Jay's Elbow Room has the best clam strips I have ever had.

I doubt they have snapper soup now, Peta would have a stroke.  Lol. Too low brow for this ritzy town.  Lol. 

Mayo's on rt72 still may have snapper soup but it's been a long time since I've been in there. 

Crazy story but the first place I took my wife(then girlfriend) was Jay's.  Lol. It was a late Sunday night and nothing else was open. Good ole Jay's.  Still have good wings, finger food.   

16 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

When I was back in NJ Cheyenne was my go-to place.

He was supposedly setting up appointments with Monmouth and Cheyenne. I told him to confirm whether he would be able to fondle inventory to determine what fit his hands best. I haven't heard back.

Last evening he wanted to buy the X-Five Legion at Monmouth sight unseen, but he called and it was already sold. As the folks here understand, what fits my hand won't necessarily fit your hand. Polymer80 "Glocks" fit me great, but an actual Glock always draws 10-15 degrees low for me. They're great pistols, but their ergonomics don't mesh with my hands. I want him to fully experience this with his own hands before dumping $500-$1000 on his first pistol.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Was at Cheyenne today.. bullet inventory is depleted and I asked and was told “were done selling bullets” what a letdown. I always buy my bullets there for reloading. Guy was super rude also as per usual. I’m done frequenting that place. They are just too rude for me. 

Go to shooters in tuckerton. A longer drive but they are outstanding and kind people. 

OP here...

He ended up buying a Glock 34 from Cheyenne because he wants HD and also wants to start doing "Outlaw Steel Challenge" (not official SC rules) at my club outside Baltimore. He couldn't buy a Benelli M4 Tactical because of the pistol grip, so he also got a Benelli Supernova Tactical.

While he was waiting for the Glock, he was called back by Bob's Shooting Supplies (home FFL in Florence) because Bob got in a P320 X5 Legion. "Mr. Impulse Buy" said he would take it, so In ~25 days he will be able to start the paperwork on that one.

I really liked the vibe I got from Monmouth on this forum, but he is surely swamped and didn't respond to emails fast enough for "Mr. Impulse Buy".

On a happy note, our ranges opened back up last week, so I was able to hit my club and sight in my newly Bubba'ed M96 Swede. I also took out some pent up anger on a poor little piece of AR500 steel with a bunch of pistols: USPc, VP9, Polymer80 "G32", PPKs, S&W 64, Buckmark and Wrangler. Yeah, after 5 months of zero shooting, I'm rusty to say the least.

• Like 2