Rickap7

Do I need my HG permit to....

goto a shop and put gun in hand. I want to put in hand before I get permit so when I get it I know how they feel in hand and know which one I want?

Being my PD said its most likely going to take like 3-6 weeks before application gets processed because of Covid. I was hoping to know which one I wanted before that.

You don't need to have a permit to purchase, or an FID card, to go gun shopping and handle the guns.

That said, a lot of shops, maybe most, will require that you show an FID before they'll let you touch a gun.

If they tell you it's the law, they're lying.  

If they tell you it's store policy, you're still out of luck, but at least they are being honest about the reason.

• Agree 7

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

You don't need to have a permit to purchase, or an FID card, to go gun shopping and handle the guns.

That said, a lot of shops, maybe most, will require that you show an FID before they'll let you touch a gun.

If they tell you it's store policy, you're still out of luck, but at least they are being honest about the reason.

I’ll add, if they tell you these things take your business elsewhere 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, 10X said:

There's no need to continue the thread beyond this (although I guess I just did). 

7 hours ago, Rickap7 said:

goto a shop and put gun in hand. I want to put in hand before I get permit so when I get it I know how they feel in hand and know which one I want?

Being my PD said its most likely going to take like 3-6 weeks before application gets processed because of Covid. I was hoping to know which one I wanted before that.

Apply for your permits asap. With the new online system, it is pretty easy, at least compared to the old paper method. BTW....Permits only cost $2 each. Get more than you think you need. I get 6 every 6 months. If I can use them all, great. If not, small money wasted. I like having a permit in my back pocket in case I stumble into a neat (and affordable) used handgun.

I worked at Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood in 2016. At that time, they did not require a PFID or P2P to handle guns. Fondle to your hearts content. DO tell them you are waiting on your permits so they know you are not just screwing around. If you find what you want, they may even let you put it on layaway. I would call ahead to see if that is still the case.

Also, they have a huge number of handguns available to rent. When the governor allows the indoor ranges to open, you can go with another person to rent as many guns as your wallet can afford....you cannot rent a gun by yourself....you must have a 2nd person.

They are good people there.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1