Zell959

Who has an at-home shooting trainer product they'd highly recommend? (electronic/laser/other)

21 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Basement with a .22 and a some blocks of thick wood??  :D

As kids, we used to shoot bb guns in the basement, using an old fitted sheet hanging from the ceiling as a backstop.  The bbs would collect in the bottom for re-use.

8 hours ago, W2MC said:

As kids, we used to shoot bb guns in the basement, using an old fitted sheet hanging from the ceiling as a backstop.  The bbs would collect in the bottom for re-use.

Wut like a red rider?

we were doing ten pumpers to 12 and using marksman darts going trough as many lawyers of sheet rock we could.

i think 3, stuck into the fourth. But I was always an envelope pusher, even as a kid

crossman 1200 

and the classic pump pistol 

36 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Wut like a red rider?

we were doing ten pumpers to 12 and using marksman darts going trough as many lawyers of sheet rock we could.

i think 3, stuck into the fourth. But I was always an envelope pusher, even as a kid

crossman 1200 

and the classic pump pistol 

Um....I said BB gun; not marksman darts.

And 10 pumps?  Not hardly.

• Haha 1

I made a backstop in our basement using duct seal and some plywood.  Stops all of our pellet and BB guns, even at 11 or 12 pumps.

My son and I shot last night and had a blast!

• Like 3

Air soft just purchased new one from STI off evike.com. I use a box with front cut open hang rag inside box and plastic bb drops in box bt goes through paper target. I use a coat hanger poked through box to hold rag draped over it clip my target to front of box.

Purchased the co2 mags and green gas refillable co2 cartridge the co2 cartridges themselves are little more powerful than green gas mags.

No I did not get the john wick version.  DVC version.

https://www.evike.com/products/12737/

On 5/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, Mr.Stu said:

I'm waiting for a coolfire trainer to be shipped. I'll let you know if it's any good when I get it.

It arrived. The cycling of the action is pretty potent - not as much as live fire, but sufficient to move the gun around and activate the slide catch if your thumb is not in the right place!

I like it.

• Agree 1

On 5/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, jm1827 said:

I made a backstop in our basement using duct seal and some plywood.  Stops all of our pellet and BB guns, even at 11 or 12 pumps.

My son and I shot last night and had a blast!

A 30gal brute garbage can filled with rubber mulch, on its side, will stop real 9mm and .45acp... I find the bullets only about half way through. 

• Informative 1

Second on the airsoft practice.

Ordered a Glock 19X from Evike and a KWA Radian Model 1.  Both green gas with a few spare mags.  Should be here this week so I've built a couple of stands for reduced size USPSA targets to set up downstairs.  I like the concept of actually shooting projectiles more than the laser trainers.

Am very interested in getting a Glock airsoft pistol.  I only have a spring operated Noname one now that is pretty much just a toy. I do have some I have two questions.

1) CO2 vs green gas: from Tony’s post above, sounds like co2 are as powerful as gg. My preference is co2 if that is the case. Also wondering if breathing in gg in an enclosed space is a health Or a fire risk.

2) Legality:   sounds like evike is still shipping to NJ.  Wasn’t there a new NJ law passed earlier this year that effectively banned all imitation firearms (eg 1” orange stripe require along its full length, etc.)

thanks

6 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Am very interested in getting a Glock airsoft pistol.  I only have a spring operated Noname one now that is pretty much just a toy. I do have some I have two questions.

1) CO2 vs green gas: from Tony’s post above, sounds like co2 are as powerful as gg. My preference is co2 if that is the case. Also wondering if breathing in gg in an enclosed space is a health Or a fire risk.

2) Legality:   sounds like evike is still shipping to NJ.  Wasn’t there a new NJ law passed earlier this year that effectively banned all imitation firearms (eg 1” orange stripe require along its full length, etc.)

thanks

1) CO2 is better, way better. More power, more consistent. 

2) Honestly, if its an airsoft pistol i would say who cares..

On 5/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Bighungry618 said:

They're not that much different from one another. 

Dude the coolfire and mantis blackbeard are WAY different than the ones you have to cock the gun every time. Like WAAAAY different. 

You can then pair them with a video system if you want. They ain't cheap, but they are about as good as you can do. 

Airsoft isn't bad, but the above allow you to work with what you actually shoot. My main competition guns are a custom 2011 and a p320 x-5 legion. While I can get a 2011 setup that feels similar, it isn't cheap. And I have failed to find an X-frame style airsoft gun. decking out an airsoft AR to be similar to my match ar would be more expensive than buying all the above plus a video system. 

It may not be worth it depending on one's needs, but it's a significantly different experience than the firing pin activated single shot laser inserts. 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:50 PM, eyeinstine said:

Basement with a .22 and a some blocks of thick wood??  :D

friend of mine did that with "expired" soft body armor as the backstop.

customer tole me he tried it with a piece of wood as backstop. was shocked when the bullet penetrated then ricocheted all over the place....

I got the Mantis Blackbeard and really like it.  It's a lot of fun.  Makes me want to get an auto-resetting or recoil enabled laser device for my handguns.  I currently just have regular laser cartridges for them, but having to rack after pulling the trigger every time is less than ideal for training.  Unfortunately recoil enabled resetting laser devices I've seen for handguns are $$$.  

On 5/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, Mr.Stu said:

It arrived. The cycling of the action is pretty potent - not as much as live fire, but sufficient to move the gun around and activate the slide catch if your thumb is not in the right place!

I like it.

@Mr.Stu how do you like the Coolfire system?  How many shots do you get out of one magazine?   How many magazines do you get to a bottle? 

12 minutes ago, ESB said:

Does anyone have one of the Laser-Ammo Recoil Trainers?  

Laser Ammo (laser-ammo.com)

So that is a conversion kit for an airsoft pistol? It's basically the same price as a coolfire trainer, which means you get to practice with your actual pistol. Seems like an odd choice for a personal purchase. It makes more sense if you wanted to set up a simulator range or something. 

6 minutes ago, ESB said:

Actually laser-ammo ends up being a lot cheaper than coolfire.  You can get a laser-ammo Glock for ~$400 and Coolfire Glock kit starts at $500 with laser.  You could also use it as an airsoft pistol.  

I paid $450 for my p320 x-5 legion setup.  A g34 kit is $520 with a bottle and $490 without currently. midway discounts the g17 equivalent. How close do you want your training gear to be to the real thing? Is $87 a big enough delta to warrant a difference? 

I've got a Gen 3 G17.  The conversion isn't going to feel exactly like the real thing, but close enough.  The difference between the G17 conversion and the Laser-Ammo G17 airsoft would be less than the feel difference between the conversion and the real thing. I would think Green Gas vs C02 would make more of a difference since CO2 recoils harder.    I guess the difference would be I would have to outfit the laser-ammo with the same optic on my real G17 which then puts it at around the same cost.  

On 5/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, Mr.Stu said:

I like it

Are you using the CoolFire with a laser trainer app?  With the recoil, it makes a 4" line instead of a quick red dot, making it hard for the laser trainer app to accurately detect where I shot.  :(  

284596865_10158480433616816_8527921975810881582_n.thumb.jpg.d899137b9194e00bd07352ae313ed04d.jpg