Pizza Bob

Matched Pair

I often spend my evenings in front of the TV while also perusing eBay for S&W ephemera on my iPad. I came across this Italian leather covered, S&W embossed presentation case one evening and bookmarked it to watch. Imagine my surprise when closing time came and I was the only bidder at a very low opening price...

Pres-Case-Lthr.jpg

The case exceeded my expectations. Of course that begged the question, "What to put in it?"

I not only scan eBay but also a number of firearm auction and for sale sites, and sometimes other forum's classifieds. I probably scan a thousand or more listings a week. I came across a model of S&W (what else?) that I already had, but this was in a different finish. They made this model in a blued finish as well as a nickel finish and a real color case-hardened finish, by the master: Doug Turnbull. I managed to secure it at a slightly better price than I paid for the nickel one. I figured these are the perfect duo to do this case justice...

Model-22s-Cased.jpg

As the placard indicates, these are S&W Models 22 - 22-4 to be specific. These are part of S&W's Classic Series that reprise famous guns from their past. In this case, the .45 ACP Model of 1917.

The CCH gun came from a large gunstore in the Pacific NW and it was not a great experience. I won the auction and had no communication from them whatsoever. Sent funds and the license and heard nothing. E-mailed them 3 times and used the message function on their website and heard nothing back from them. Tried calling several numbers listed for them and either got cut-off after the first ring or was told the voice mailbox was full. I actually joined a gun forum in that region and enlisted some help from them. The support and boots-on-the-ground help from that quarter was terrific. The gun community is truly something special. Finally, two and a half weeks after the close of the auction, the gun just shows up at my dealer. I would have been fine with the delay in shipping, I understand that these are extraordinary times - all they would have had to do was communicate that to me. A simple pre-formatted message would have taken minutes to send, but they couldn't even be bothered doing that. Water under the bridge.

There was an upside. On the forum I joined out there I came across a .45 Target Model of 1950 (a pre-model 26) and managed to separate it from its owner. Fodder for a future thread.

Stay healthy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 11
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

A true collector.

Still waiting for the day you open a museum for us to view your collection..

Never mind the museum, I'm waiting for range day!

I have guns that I shoot - that are part of the collection, and guns that are safe queens. Most, these days, are safe queens because I am buying strictly for the collection. But I have made recent purchases of guns that I shoot for ICORE, IDPA and USPSA local club matches.

These two were purchased within the last year...

Ruger-MC.jpg

Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm for IDPA (used only with .40 S&W)

929-Olhasso.jpg

S&W 929 with a full competition treatment by Dave Olhasso for ICORE and USPSA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Informative 1