YankeeSC

PSA for those wearing masks

https://www.foxnews.com/health/how-this-n95-mask-could-put-others-at-risk-for-illness

The San Francisco Department of Public Health took to Twitter on Monday to remind residents that if they are choosing to wear an N95 (which should ideally be reserved for medical workers on the frontline, officials have stressed), they should ensure it doesn’t have the front valve.

“Still seeing a lot of these masks out there, it's confusing, because they are called N95 — but the ones with the **valves** or openings on the front are NOT safe, and may actually propel your germs further!” 

I'm not going to get too excited about the valve; it opens almost straight down, so a cough or sneeze isn't going to project droplets forward.

This entire thought process borders on retarded. 

Respirators were NEVER intended to protect anyone except the wearer from airborne contaminates.. 

The idea they can protect others is nice, but its a fallacy.. besides if everyone is wearing something then theyre protected too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, PeteF said:

And the Kabuki theater continues.  These N95 masks are unsafe but a bandanna will be fine. :facepalm:

Exactly.  If you are sick, these masks do little to protect others.  Even the other solid masks are probably providing limited protection. Because we all know those are hermetically sealed to your face.   No exhaled air escapes.  Nope. Not a bit.

But dammit get that bandana on or you’re going to jail.

My Doctors PA had a mask on when I was in their office back in January.  That mask was much more elaborate that what we see people wearing in public these days.  I would think that mask, that fit her like a glove and looked more like a chemical respirator, did its job...for her.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeteF said:

And the Kabuki theater continues.  These N95 masks are unsafe but a bandanna will be fine. :facepalm:

“ Unsafe for you... and should be reserved for us”........ everyone else is good with an old see through fabric tshirt..... it’s like the hand sanitizer... which is to be used when soap and water isn’t available...amazon bragging they won’t sell to the peasants... just the hospitals.... But every room has a sink and soap...... so a peasant food shopping Can’t clean their hands before entering their vehicle and possibly spreading it around the vehicle.. then their house up to the point they enter multiple rooms touch multiple doors etc.... before they reach a sink..... it’s almost as if they are intentionally trying to keep this going / make it worse.....

• Agree 1

The breakdown of logical thinking is going on strong in this so called pandemic. 

Logic dictates that this virus or any virus can be transmitted in any setting (not just hospitals..there's actually financial consequences for hospital born infections!), therefore n95 masks should be used in any setting, and used carefully.  It takes practice to keep one's hands away from their face (directly OR indirectly!) and to assume that if one is in a situation where a mask is needed, that said mask is potentially contaminated if it has been worn.

I have been less worried about people coughing ( that I have not seen much of) than seeing people potentially contaminate everything in their purse with their hands who do things like touch a mask and then make phone calls.  If wearing gloves reminds someone not to take phone calls or rub their eyes, then it is good.  Sadly, I dont see that happen too often.

The more stuff one wears, the more things one has to be aware of.