Dr. Goodshot

New Glock case question

No, it does not.  S&W, Sig and Springfield do, as well as some Berettas.  Glock, I've only seen them with non-lockable cases.  You could take the gun lock that comes with it and wrap it around the case handle so that it will not open unless unlocked.

49 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Is this for inter-State transport? For travel inside NJ you only need to close the latches to be legal.

I'm actually just planning on driving it home from the gun store.

So if you bought a new Glock and you had a car with a trunk, you would feel pretty comfortable just transporting it home in that case without any lock on it? Or would you wanna be extra cautious and move it to a lockable case anyway?

24 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

So if you bought a new Glock and you had a car with a trunk, you would feel pretty comfortable just transporting it home in that case without any lock on it? Or would you wanna be extra cautious and move it to a lockable case anyway?

I drive an SUV and I just drive home with the gun in the fastened case. If its in the trunk, not in a case, the trunk has to be locked. The law says it must be in a fastened case, securely tied package (yes paper and string are legal) OR a locked trunk.

Last time a bought a new Glock it rode home with me in it's case on the front seat. The next set of guns came home in zippered pistol slips because they were used and the original cases were not with them.

The NJSP web site for some reason combines the Federal FOPA requirement of a locked case for inter-State transport with the intra-State NJ laws. Within NJ you are not able to travel under FOPA so the locked case requirement does not exist.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

The NJSP web site for some reason combines the Federal FOPA requirement of a locked case for inter-State transport with the intra-State NJ laws. Within NJ you are not able to travel under FOPA so the locked case requirement does not exist.

What you say clears up a lot. The NJ statute just says "fastened case" OR "locked in trunk," but the NJSP website states that then randomly adds the FOPA part about how if you don't have a trunk you have to keep it in a locked case. I always wondered why those two statements on the State Police website contradict each other.

8 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

What you say clears up a lot. The NJ statute just says "fastened case" OR "locked in trunk," but the NJSP website states that then randomly adds the FOPA part about how if you don't have a trunk you have to keep it in a locked case. I always wondered why those two statements on the State Police website contradict each other.

Its not really contradicting The NJ statute is for transporting within the state of NJ... and its irrelevant to FOPA .. it seems pretty clear to me.. just needs to be unloaded and at minimum in a fastened case or tied package or in a locked case (3 options your choice) as long as the compartment is separate from the passenger compartment.  Where "locked" becomes required where you don't have an area separate from the passenger compartment like a SUV, mini van etc.

as an example... So when i use my pickup truck and I put the firearms in the bed of the truck, that's a separate area so the gun case just needs to be fastened or tied.... but when i already have too much crap in the bed of the truck and i place my gun cases on the floor of the cab behind me in the second row, the cases should be locked.

If your going to go over state lines then FOPA should rule the road and the cases should be locked regardless of a separate compartment or not.

As a side note I just noticed that the NJSP faq now finally states "Ammunition magazines may remain loaded during transportation and shall be carried separate from the firearm." where it never used to say that.   

46 minutes ago, Lakota said:

as an example... So when i use my pickup truck and I put the firearms in the bed of the truck, that's a separate area so the gun case just needs to be fastened or tied.... but when i already have too much crap in the bed of the truck and i place my gun cases on the floor of the cab behind me in the second row, the cases should be locked.

Nowhere in NJ law does it say cases in the passenger compartment need to be locked. They only need to be fastened.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:
1 hour ago, Lakota said:

Nowhere in NJ law does it say cases in the passenger compartment need to be locked. They only need to be fastened.

Dr Goodshot....Mr Stu is correct....please see the excerpt from NJ 2C:39-6 Exemptions (from being charged with illegal possession) I've attached... take note to the "or" between package and locked........this is the law, Lakota, as many do in New Jermany, chooses to go above and beyond the law....ive heard/personally known some literally break the weapon into parts in multiple locked containers for trips from home to the range :facepalm:....

the state infringes enough without freely giving away even more but it is a decision only you can make for yourself...but base your decision on the law not what other peoples interpretation/procedure is that share as "the law"....this discussion is brother to the ammo transport/loaded vrs unloaded magazine transport......im waiting and im sure ill come across it...someone that says they transport weapons/ammo in a trailer as they argue that to be a "separate" compartment it needs to be a trailer "separate" from the vehicle:rofl:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-39-6/

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

(c)In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(4)A person from keeping or carrying about a private or commercial aircraft or any boat, or from transporting to or from such vessel for the purpose of installation or repair a visual distress signaling device approved by the United States Coast Guard.

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

• Thanks 1

thats true I concede technically the whole passenger compartment thing is not cited in the statute.  And your right its an issue that we have to worry about any of this and all other infringements that get pounded over our heads.   But as a reality check, right or wrong, i'd rather spare myself the few nights in jail and the 20k of lawyer fees and the hassle that would come with it just to prove a technicality of the statute.  Over a little padlock.

18 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

to answer this directly....and just meeting the legal requirements set forth and not "going above and beyond"...you may purchase  at the gunshop/place of purchase place in your trunk and drive home confidently you are within the law.

to add clarity....and just for discussion..... first and foremost it must be unloaded....if it is in a closed container such as any factory box, whether plastic or cardboard, aftermarket case plastic, fabric etc, even wrapped in paper, or fabric and securely tied it may be transported inside the vehicle even if a trunk is present with no "lock" as long as you do not cross state lines during your course of travel...in a car with a trunk id just put it in the trunk and that is still going above the "law" its not because im kissing the ring.....its just to keep eyes off it while in travel...stoplight windshield washers etc 

while i would  not recommend having it sitting on the passenger seat of a pickup truck i certainly wouldn't put it in the bed without a cap on it for basic common sense safety against stoplight snatch and grabs etc...in a pickup truck backseat....in an suv in the cargo area...

ready for this...the "or" in the copy and paste in my other reply denotes that a container/case/wrapped & tied is only required in the absence of a lockable compartment separate from the passenger compartment.....so if you have a vehicle with a trunk technically the unloaded weapon would not need to even be in a case...but there would be other potential issues with that...like do the back seats fold down...can it be done from the passenger compartment? do they have a key locking mechanism if so that would need to be locked etc etc........but all this is a road most people don't want to walk as its too close to the fire......

all this was to illustrate that a glock in factory box in your trunk coming home from purchase will be fine!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Lakota said:

thats true I concede technically the whole passenger compartment thing is not cited in the statute.  And your right its an issue that we have to worry about any of this and all other infringements that get pounded over our heads.   But as a reality check, right or wrong, i'd rather spare myself the few nights in jail and the 20k of lawyer fees and the hassle that would come with it just to prove a technicality of the statute.  Over a little padlock.

i completely understand your position on your procedure, do not fault you for it at all.....i apologize if it came off that way didn't mean to sound as if i was.... its a decision that each person should make for themself...and ill never tell you or anyone they are "wrong" for their choice to go above and beyond the law simply make sure they know what the actual law is and allow them to decide what is right for them....i have friends I've known for 20 years that go to the extremes and i may goodheartedly tease them a bit as they reassemble from components when we get to the club.. but its their decision and i respect that

• Agree 1

Looking at the laws and at what folks have posted, it's pretty clear: according to the statute, the case does not need to be locked, and if it's in a fastened case that isn't locked, it doesn't even need to be in the trunk. You could theoretically throw a naked gun with no packaging in the locked trunk. So by putting a fastened case with no lock in the trunk, I'm already going above and beyond the statute.

The interstate transportation laws say it has to be in the trunk or, if there's no trunk, locked in a case. This is stricter than the NJ statute. The contradiction that Mr. Stu mentioned is in the State Police website where it says, "Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and or ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or center console and kept farthest from the driver." The first line comes from the NJ statute, and the second comes from the interstate transportation law, and contradicts the first. 

But still, I can see why a person would want to go a little above the exact statute just to be on the safe side. When I bought a gun in California a few years ago, I went overboard trying to prove to myself and anyone who might ask how serious I was about gun safety. I put a cable lock AND a trigger lock on the gun, then put the gun in a case and locked the case with a padlock, and threw the whole thing in the trunk. Now that I think about it, that might have been a little excessive, because how do you keep track of all those keys?

yea i completely understand... in all honestly to give the most beneficial info on this forum for those who ask questions like this we should honestly answer both ways even if and when we don't agree with it.  answer with the true technically as far as the law states... then give the reality of the situation even if we don't want to condone the over reach that the reality is in a case like this. To not do that causes confusion and could cause legal problems for folks whereas we all would benefit more educating everyone on what the actual statutes say and the real world scenario's and what is probable/possible to happen in that real world and let the end user decide how to proceed.   Right or wrong with how the police or DA's interpret it it and prosecute for it should be discussed and not outright dismissed, regardless of how we feel about them doing so.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Looking at the laws and at what folks have posted, it's pretty clear: according to the statute, the case does not need to be locked, and if it's in a fastened case that isn't locked, it doesn't even need to be in the trunk. You could theoretically throw a naked gun with no packaging in the locked trunk. So by putting a fastened case with no lock in the trunk, I'm already going above and beyond the statute.

The interstate transportation laws say it has to be in the trunk or, if there's no trunk, locked in a case. This is stricter than the NJ statute. The contradiction that Mr. Stu mentioned is in the State Police website where it says, "Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and or ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or center console and kept farthest from the driver." The first line comes from the NJ statute, and the second comes from the interstate transportation law, and contradicts the first. 

But still, I can see why a person would want to go a little above the exact statute just to be on the safe side. When I bought a gun in California a few years ago, I went overboard trying to prove to myself and anyone who might ask how serious I was about gun safety. I put a cable lock AND a trigger lock on the gun, then put the gun in a case and locked the case with a padlock, and threw the whole thing in the trunk. Now that I think about it, that might have been a little excessive, because how do you keep track of all those keys?

just to be clear if you cross state lines the weapon needs to be in a locked case, trunk or back seat

23 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

I usually just throw it in the back seat and drive home. Stop being so paranoid.

• Agree 1

I'm glad I caught this thread. I'm sure this has been discussed here a lot. The mashing of the two separate (NJ + Fed-Interstate) laws into the same paragraph had me confused as well. I usually drive a pickup, so my first trip to the range I was overly paranoid and padlocked both my gun case and ammo boxes.

I was surprised to learn its legal to transport loaded magazines in NJ (assuming its transported legally as required for ammo). If I remember correctly in CA magazines were legally considered part of the firearm and therefore a loaded mag was technically a loaded firearm during transport. Lame! One win for NJ. :) 

2 hours ago, USMC1341 said:

If I remember correctly in CA magazines were legally considered part of the firearm and therefore a loaded mag was technically a loaded firearm during transport. Lame! One win for NJ. :) 

Don't get too excited ... ;)