Malsua

Acme apparently hit the motherload of TP

I saw this today at the ACME.

I suspect the headline tomorrow will be "USA stealing Toilet paper from 3rd world"

I'm guessing it has a lot of recycled pulp in it.  Can probably also be used to sand sheet rock or polish gems.

spanishpaper.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Malsua said:

No one else finds it interesting that there is no English on the packaging?   This is CLEARLY intended for Mexico or Central America.  Which means, our shortage is now their shortage :icon_twisted:

Is it an off brand made by a major producer? You should have picked up a pack for some scientific research. :D

47 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Is it an off brand made by a major producer? You should have picked up a pack for some scientific research. :D

So I looked into it.

Regio is one of the brands by Essity, a Swedish company that makes hygiene type products.  They do about 11 billion gross annually.

Essity is Johnson and Johnson of Europe although not nearly as big in total market cap.  J&J is about 70 billion gross.

" In the Mexican market, Essity holds a strong position with the Regio brand."

So there was a regional TP producer and Essity probably gave them a huge cash influx and now gets the lion share of profit.

They sell this 4 roll pack in Mexico city for 30 pesos.  That's $1.27 USD.

I did not see what they were selling this for, I am going to guess about $2.50 or maybe $2.99.

If you could just ship your product north and double the profit?   I guess Jose is gonna have to go back to using a maize cob.

15 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

Everybody bought a 6 month supply 6 weeks ago. Everybody is stocked up. Nobody's going to buy TP for a long time.  There are probably truck loads of the stuff now with no place to unload.

I'll buy for pennies on the dollar.

I told this story before, but I still think it's funny...

Was in Lagos, Nigeria for some site work.   The company we were tuning up was all Indian expats.  I ask one of the managers where the mens room is...he points me down a hallway and hands me a liter bottle of water.  I said thank you but I just want to relieve myself.

Only after the deed did I realize what the bottle of water was for.

No paper.

17 hours ago, Malsua said:

So I looked into it.

Regio is one of the brands by Essity, a Swedish company that makes hygiene type products.  They do about 11 billion gross annually.

Essity is Johnson and Johnson of Europe although not nearly as big in total market cap.  J&J is about 70 billion gross.

" In the Mexican market, Essity holds a strong position with the Regio brand."

So there was a regional TP producer and Essity probably gave them a huge cash influx and now gets the lion share of profit.

They sell this 4 roll pack in Mexico city for 30 pesos.  That's $1.27 USD.

I did not see what they were selling this for, I am going to guess about $2.50 or maybe $2.99.

If you could just ship your product north and double the profit?   I guess Jose is gonna have to go back to using a maize cob.

Not pure profit.  They has to truck it up from Mexico.  Thank God for captialism.

One needs to realize. There are two separate supply chains. Consumer and commercial.   Commercial has been pretty much shutdown.  Example?  I saw a commentary and they said 2/3 of the bacon in the US is consumed by restaurants.   That's pretty shut down.

I assessed my tp consumption a,while back.  Found no consumer tp at a normal price.  I found those big commercial rolls at a normal price.  I bought a case (they equal 4 consumer rolls).  I'm set for some time.

Commercial can't just switch over to consumer.  That's a problem. 

8 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I assessed my tp consumption a,while back.  Found no consumer tp at a normal price.  I found those big commercial rolls at a normal price.  I bought a case (they equal 4 consumer rolls).  I'm set for some time.

That was my backup plan, too. Even when Costco was out of the little rolls they had a lot of the Turnpike sized rolls on hand. 

Only downside is they are like 220 grit. They will scour the o-ring right off of you.