Rickap7

What is the main differences

New guy Rick came for knowledge and has since left due to a lack of welcoming of new gun owners to the community.   He told me this at breakfast, we had taylor ham and eggs.

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Boyle’s law

No, that's the universal gas law.  Boyle's is P1V1 = P2V2

You've been away from the subs for too long   :)

10 minutes ago, 10X said:

No, that's the universal gas law.  Boyle's is P1V1 = P2V2

You've been away from the subs for too long   :)

You’re right. I stand corrected. 

Neither are equations I use much anymore in my life. Lol

43 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

OK, but what difference does the weight of the projectile make?

The weight effects velocity, range, felt recoil, trajectory and terminal energy at distance.

How does that affect me when I'm shooting?

Projectiles with different weights will have different POA/POI At different ranges. They will also have deferent recoil impulses which will effect recoil control which translates to differences in split times of shooting quickly.

What practical result does it have in the real world or at the range?

In the real world, different ammo behaves uniquely. You need to know how the specific ammo You chose performs in your guns in your hands and what it’s capabilities are and are not.

30 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I prefer 124 weight of projectile.I think it’s softer shooting .

I like 147 for it’s terminal ballistics.

I agree, 124 feels a little softer to shoot, but to approach the terminal ballistics of 147 gr, you have to have to bump 124 up to +p pressures. 124+p is not softer shooting than 147.

There is no free lunch.

I carry Federal 147 HST in my duty guns so I shoot 147 FMJ when I practice, compete, or train. I need to be the best with that ammo so there is no sense learning the capabilities of any other ammo type and my ability to shoot it.

On the practical side of things - That’s at least twice as much ammo ( 2x ammo = 2x $$) and twice as much time (probably more that 2x because you have to reprogram you professor as you switch between them) to become equally proficient.

On the Performance side of things - It will also increase processing power (which is already I  short supply when shooting) which stretches out my Decision phase in the OODA loop as when I press the trigger i now have to remember which ammo I have in the gun.

Too many mind. No mind!

If I drop a bullet and shoot another at the same time across the same horizontal plane, which will hit the ground first?

Some topics we should have break out sessions for discussion.

Mass, acceleration and force

Gravity 

Gyroscopic forces

Momentum

Advanced topics:

Air resistance 

Coriolus effect

Barometric pressure

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

If I drop a bullet and shoot another at the same time across the same horizontal plane, which will hit the ground first?

Some topics we should have break out sessions for discussion.

Mass, acceleration and force

Gravity 

Gyroscopic forces

Momentum

Advanced topics:

Air resistance 

Coriolus effect

Barometric pressure

They hit the ground at the exact same time as long as the barrel is perfectly parallel to the ground and  the ground is perfectly level for the entire distance the projectile travels.

That distance traveled depends on the velocity.

The velocity depends on projectile weight, amount of charge loaded, plus a myriad other things such as atmospherics (fog, wind, temp, humidity, etc...), the projectile’s coefficient of friction, etc....

We are also talking about pistol rounds with a new shooter here, so after about 25 yards (50-100 of you’re really good, maybe a 1000 if your Jerry Miculek) so there is no reason to go off into the weeds.

30 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Should be equal, if I remember my "monkey and a gun" demonstration from physics from like 100 years ago. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

OK, but what difference does the weight of the projectile make? How does that affect me when I'm shooting? What practical result does it have in the real world or at the range?

Heavy bullets will typically raise the point of impact.

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Heavy bullets will typically raise the point of impact.

People will ask why?

Because the heavier the bullet, the slower it moves.   So, under recoil the muzzle will rise.   Since it's moving slower, the bullet is leaving the barrel at a higher angle.  Is that what I remember hearing?  Could be gunshop babble.

7 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

People will ask why?

Because the heavier the bullet, the slower it moves.   So, under recoil the muzzle will rise.   Since it's moving slower, the bullet is leaving the barrel at a higher angle.  Is that what I remember hearing?  Could be gunshop babble.

That's the correct explanation.  Sometimes even gunshop babble gets it right.   :)