Rickap7

Range ammo

I only use steel jacket rounds in a AK47.  The risk of jamming up anything else is not worth the cost savings.  Something to do with non-brass casings expanding from the heat and potentially damaging the weapon, whereas the AK was designed with Russian steel in mind and has more wiggle room, or so I read somewhere.

I had a bad experience with some aluminum cased .357. The cases expanded so much in the cylinder I had to use a dowel and a hammer to get them out. Didn't have to hit them to hard but no other way to remove them.

25 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Steel and aluminum will cause premature wear. How much premature? Meh your dollar.

Steel will. Aluminum just creates extraction issues. Aluminum is softer than brass, not even by that much, and more brittle. So it will deform easier at higher Temps, and is likely to Crack if the casing is worked too much... 

At the end of the day, anyone worrying about this issue or asking doesn't shoot enough for it to matter... 

Buy what is affordable from a reputable company..

5 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Steel will. Aluminum just creates extraction issues. Aluminum is softer than brass, not even by that much, and more brittle. So it will deform easier at higher Temps, and is likely to Crack if the casing is worked too much... 

At the end of the day, anyone worrying about this issue or asking doesn't shoot enough for it to matter... 

Buy what is affordable from a reputable company..

Exactly 

2 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

Ray, not a day goes by when I'm not disturbed by your avatar.

Man up, dad.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Steel and aluminum will cause premature wear. How much premature? Meh your dollar.

Not this again.  The only way steel-cased ammo will cause premature wear is if you shoot thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo through the same gun.  Aluminum?  No.

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Exactly 

Nobody is shooting thousands and thousands of rounds of steel-cased ammo through 9mm guns.  The only guns that are seeing that many?  AKs, SKSs, Makarovs and Tokarovs.  Those are doing just fine on a strict diet of steel-cased crap.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Nobody is shooting thousands and thousands of rounds of steel-cased ammo through 9mm guns.  The only guns that are seeing that many?  AKs, SKSs, Makarovs and Tokarovs.  Those are doing just fine on a strict diet of steel-cased crap.

Can you repeat the question 

Check with the range you are planning on using.  Some ranges have restrictions on non brass cases.   

One RO told me that they get significantly less for the brass if there are any non brass cases in the mix.

Other than that, shoot what you can get.

46 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Check with the range you are planning on using.  Some ranges have restrictions on non brass cases.   

One RO told me that they get significantly less for the brass if thete are any non brass cases in the mix.

Other than that, shoot what you can get.

They can pick through  the brass if they want to make money off it. 

32 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

One half MV squared is correct.

That is indeed correct, just requires some unit conversion to get to ft-lbs, because the imperial system of measurement is stupid.

What weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

39 minutes ago, 10X said:

What weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

Let's see ...

The pound of gold is worth a shitload more than a pound of feathers

But I'd rather get hit with a pound of feathers than a pound of gold!

But that brings back memories of the story of the guy who ran off the road and was killed when he ran into a henway, poor guy.

1 hour ago, njJoniGuy said:

But that brings back memories of the story of the guy who ran off the road and was killed when he ran into a henway, poor guy.

I’ll go there...(just for shits and giggles)....What’s a ‘henway’? :rofl: