410guy

Range 14 -- shotgun use on the rifle range?

Once everything eventually reopens, I will need to pattern a couple of shotguns.  During past visits, I remember seeing some people at Range 14 shooting shotguns on the rifle range, but I don't know if there are any ammo restrictions.  

Anybody know if its slugs only?  Or are buckshot and birdshot allowed as well?   

Thanks

39 minutes ago, 410guy said:

Once everything eventually reopens, I will need to pattern a couple of shotguns.  During past visits, I remember seeing some people at Range 14 shooting shotguns on the rifle range, but I don't know if there are any ammo restrictions.  

Anybody know if its slugs only?  Or are buckshot and birdshot allowed as well?   

Thanks

I no restrictions as far as I know. 

20 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Buckshot and slugs only.  No birdshot allowed on rifle range.

I was afraid of that, since I need to pattern some birdshot loads.   I guess ill need to go to a WMA range.  

Thanks 

9 minutes ago, 410guy said:

I need to pattern some birdshot loads

If it's not too far, go visit Gene Solomon in Farmingdale on a Sunday.  I dunno if his trap range is open, but his gun shop should be.  He opens the shop at 6:00pm Friday evenings and 1:00pm on Sundays.  Go buy some shit you need and then ask him nicely if you can pattern a gun at the board located at the far end of the trap fields.

14 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If it's not too far, go visit Gene Solomon in Farmingdale on a Sunday.  I dunno if his trap range is open, but his gun shop should be.  He opens the shop at 6:00pm Friday evenings and 1:00pm on Sundays.  Go buy some shit you need and then ask him nicely if you can pattern a gun at the board located at the far end of the trap fields.

I actually wasn't aware of this place and its right up the road from me.   I will keep that in mind, thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah unfortunately they don't really specify on the website.

It does seem like it would be a weird arbitrary rule to not allow birdshot at an outdoor range.   

I guess I will give them a call when they open back up.   

4 minutes ago, 410guy said:

It does seem like it would be a weird arbitrary rule to not allow birdshot at an outdoor range.   

Not really.  Past 50 yards, #4 birdshot (for example) would spread and pepper other people's targets.

I know I read that damned rule somewhere, just not on the R-14 site.

• Agree 1