JC_68Westy

Pawn shop score

I just walked out of the local pawn shop near my office with a Desert Eagle in .357 Magnum.  The owner is 80 years old getting ready to retire.  I stop in occasionally to see what they have.  Today they had the Desert Eagle in the display case for $799.  The owner told me that it was his personal gun he has had for many years and he would make me a good deal.  I asked him how much and he said $600. I said I would take it and we started the paperwork.  I have gotten a few good deals from this place in the past, but I think this was a really good deal.

Here it is:

7A0C9505-5352-41FD-9CF5-8D72D2CD8A6E_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Got home tonight and shot 9 rds of Georgia Arms 158gr Speer Bonded HP +P ammo and 9 rds of 125g JHP.  The 158gr ammo was awesome with a nice fireball.  The 125gr felt like 38 spl.  The gun is very accurate and smooth.  I am really going to like this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Got home tonight and shot 9 rds of Georgia Arms 158gr Speer Bonded HP +P ammo and 9 rds of 125g JHP.  The 158gr ammo was awesome with a nice fireball.  The 125gr felt like 38 spl.  The gun is very accurate and smooth.  I am really going to like this.

The 38 special cycles in a Desert Eagle? I never knew that.

This is like teaching my kids. Read what is there not want you want!

40 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Did you walk into the pawn shop wearing a mask, and was anyone chasing you when you left?  You stole that...

I stop by and talk to the older couple every couple of weeks and have gotten t know them.  The shop is very close to my office. He offered me the same deal on a Ruger Super Redhawk 480.  I may take him up on it. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Wow that was a killer deal.  Those go for $1300+ new.

New. 

Used pricing is highly dependent on what revision it is. That doesn't have the cross slots, so it is a mk I or mk VII which historically go for considerably less used. As an owner of a .357 mk XIX, I will also state that the used market for .357 is considerably softer. 

$600 is still a great price, but not a price to flip it and double your money kind of price. Pre-panic $799 was probably a very fair price seeing as several years ago a bunch of mkVII .357s were dumped on the used market by someone at that price. 

• FacePalm 1

I had one of those years ago. Mine had the .44Mag conversion kit too. 

Very accurate pistol, and fun to shoot. Finicky about ammo, wouldn’t cycle anything but 158gr 357 Mag ammo. 

Fun, but unwieldy!! I’d probably buy another one if I ran across a decent deal.