JWHoyt

Just got my FID, any shop recommendations near Bridgewater?

Hey guys, I'm new here.  Found out about this forum from my brother and registered while I was waiting for my FID and permits (applied end of March).  Just got the email yesterday that they're ready to be picked up. I didn't think it would be this quick, which is amazing in this environment, but the downside is I didn't have a chance to research as much as I would have liked.  After doing some reading online and watching some videos, I'm leaning towards a Sig Sauer p320 xcompact as my first gun.  What are your thoughts on this gun? 

They do seem to be out of stock everywhere online though.  I'm going to try to give Heritage guild in Branchburg a call tomorrow, I've noticed they have guns on display at the store when I was there for archery, but I'm not sure about how they are as an FFL.  Has anyone on here had any experiences dealing with them, or do you recommend some dealers in the area?  This is so exciting.

SIg p320 compact is a great choice. I don`t own one, shot it plenty though. Its on my buy list....

Jim Flynn`s would be my recommendation as well.

Heritage Branchburg is good. I ve had nothing but good experiences there. Ask them is they have it if not they may have it at their other locations and can bring it to Branchburg.

Also check out Lou`s Gun Shop in Raritan. They re on the expensive side but they used to have a lot of stuff.

Robert Teodorczy Cheyanne Gunsmith and Firearms in Manville .

He home based ffl and can get you pretty much anything u want. Good guy and usually has good deals due to low overhead costs. cherck his site and fb page. He always treated me good. 

also 

Middlebrook firearms on rt 22 in greenbrook near harbor frieght is ok 

i have bought a bunch from heritage guild but they are pricey and their transfer fees suck

10 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Call Jim Flynn in Glen Gardner - he has very good prices and isn't far from you.

Did he move?  Drove by the shop a few weeks ago and the lot was empty — I’m pretty sure the shipping container was gone too.

26 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Did he move?  Drove by the shop a few weeks ago and the lot was empty — I’m pretty sure the shipping container was gone too.

He's still there. The gun store is now the beige building on the right hand side. He has a showcase and everything!

I'm not sure if he's been opening during the current goings-on.

3 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

He's still there. The gun store is now the beige building on the right hand side. He has a showcase and everything!

I'm not sure if he's been opening during the current goings-on.

It kind of threw me when I googled him and it said it was a truck repair spot.  I thought you guys were sending me somewhere to lose a kidney or something...

1 hour ago, JWHoyt said:

It kind of threw me when I googled him and it said it was a truck repair spot.  I thought you guys were sending me somewhere to lose a kidney or something...

When you see Jim’s showcase, you will gladly sell your kidney as you build your wish list

TTC in Flemington. Has a pretty good selection. I just got a Sig P320 RXP X full size from them. I was surprised they had it in stock. You'll need to go there anyway if you want to shoot what ever you get. Last I looked Heritage Branchburg was closed for now.

• Agree 1

Just called up Jim Flynn and spoke to Nick.  Unfortunately they don't have it in stock and said their stock on pretty much everything is pretty low right now, and getting anything in is tough now.  Was really looking forward to trying them too based on all the good stuff everyone has to say about them.

For the people who come across this thread later on and during this pandemic.  I finally found my gun.  I ended up calling and emailing a bunch of the vendors suggested here, as well as others I found online.  They're all telling me the same thing. 

1. They don't have a lot of items they normally have in stock 

2. They can't order it because they're already on order, it's whenever they can get a shipment

3. Suppliers are having delays shipping due to shortened hours, staff and inventory.

The silver lining, there were a few other options I came across, which another new gun owner might not know about.  On another thread someone suggested using this tool, which emails the vendors on the forum.  I did this before calling all the other places.

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/forms/2-handgun-price-request/

I also found the gun online at 2 locations:

https://www.kygunco.com/

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Came across this site and it was pretty useful, but tough to navigate:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/320xc-9-bxr3-r2-10

Did some research and considered ordering online and shipping it to one of the FFL suggested.  I almost did this before I got a notification that a vendor on here JT Custom Guns, replied to my request saying his warehouse has one.  Jack seems to have good reviews and is reputable on this forum.  The price he quoted was consistent with the costs I've seen online including transfer fees, so I called him up to put the order through, so far he's been really professional, responsive and informative.  Definitely a tough time to get into this hobby, but on the positive side, I've probably done more research now than I normally would have.

Definitely use the NJGF price request first and then start calling places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A quick update, I picked up my gun yesterday from Jack at JT Custom Guns & Collectibles (https://www.jtcustomguns.com/).  The experience could not have been any better.  He was an hour and a half drive for me, which is far, but I would do it again in a heartbeat, and will probably have to when my wife's permits arrive. 

I had never purchased a gun before and had only dealt with Jack over the phone and over the internet, so I was really nervous heading there initially, but his reputation on here and reviews online were exceptional.  Even so, it isn't every day you head over to a person's house to buy a gun....  As soon as I met Jack, my mind was at ease.  He was extremely friendly in person, very knowledgeable and professional.  Knowing that I was a first time gun buyer, he really went out of his way to make me feel at ease with the process and to educate me on my gun and guns in general.  He showed me how to take down the gun, how I would clean it, oil it and put it together.  We reviewed some issues I could experience when I'm at the range and how to troubleshoot it, reminding me several times that if I really get stuck to just give him a call or facetime him.  Knowing I had kids in the house, he provided me some literature regarding gun safety and security/education.  He then made a few suggestions on guns my wife could check out to ease her into the sport.  I don't really have a first hand point of reference, but talking to family members and friends, they never experienced the kind of patience and thorough 1-on-1 interaction with any gun dealers they've bought from.  

Overall, if you have a good idea about what you want, I would highly recommend giving Jack a call.  His prices are good, he loves the sport and you can truly tell his priority is to make sure your gun buying experience is a good one.

Here she is, I named her Stella.

IMG_20200527_221640.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Can't go wrong with a Sig. At least I hope not as I just got one too. Now if we could only shoot them......

Congratulation!

Seriously... I've been doing dry fire exercises till my fingers are raw, but it still doesn't scratch that itch.

Thanks, congrats on yours as well.

Try Lou's on Mainstreet in Raritan. Great prices, knowledgeable service and will order what you want. 

For semiautos, I have 4 Sigs but later realized that other than their P226, P229 and P220 preferred HK. I love my P226 and P229.

HK's are built for military duty and come with LIFETIME warranties. I own a P2000SK and USP 45 Compact. They are great firearms. A new model the P30SK  sells for about @600K  is a great subcompact. HK upgraded the USP to the HK series but some prefer the USP model just like some like the P2000sk. Sigs are all metal but Heckler Koch are composite firearms. HK invented the composite gun not Glock.

Wheel guns are cool too and some have 8 round capacity like SW 627.  They don't jam and are reliable if you treat them well.

Good luck, enjoy and be safe!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zelig said:

Try Lou's on Mainstreet in Raritan. Great prices, knowledgeable service and will order what you want. 

For semiautos, I have 4 Sigs but later realized that other than their P226, P229 and P220 preferred HK. I love my P226 and P229.

HK's are built for military duty and come with LIFETIME warranties. I own a P2000SK and USP 45 Compact. They are great firearms. A new model the P30SK  sells for about @600K  is a great subcompact. HK upgraded the USP to the HK series but some prefer the USP model just like some like the P2000sk. Sigs are all metal but Heckler Koch are composite firearms. HK invented the composite gun not Glock.

Wheel guns are cool too and some have 8 round capacity like SW 627.  They don't jam and are reliable if you treat them well.

Good luck, enjoy and be safe!!!

Very informative, thanks!

P226 vs P229

P226 vs USP

P2000sk vs P229

Zelig: I'll just buy them all..